2 stroke pipe repair

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
DPinDet

2 stroke pipe repair

Post by DPinDet »

I have a pipe from my CR250 that has a good size dent in it from a tree. I know I can send it off to various folks to get it repaired, but I am the kind of guys who likes to learn to do things myself. I have tried the water and freeze method with little results, if any. Has anybody tried to heat the area and use the compressed air method? If so, how much air pressure? Comments ?

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
_joshua_

Post by _joshua_ »

2 BAR max... :D

But stay very carreful!!!!
CRF450R SuperMotard.
CR500AF SuperMotard under construction.
south central hoon

Re: 2 stroke pipe repair

Post by south central hoon »

DPinDet wrote:I have a pipe from my CR250 that has a good size dent in it from a tree. I know I can send it off to various folks to get it repaired, but I am the kind of guys who likes to learn to do things myself. I have tried the water and freeze method with little results, if any. Has anybody tried to heat the area and use the compressed air method? If so, how much air pressure? Comments ?

DPinDet
I have a friend that is amazing using the compressed air method. not sure how much pressure, but i would start slow and build up pressure till she pops.
_joshua_

Post by _joshua_ »

Like this...

In french:
MODE OPERATOIRE

1 Mettre en place les deux brides

2 Mettre au rouge la surface concernée (chalumeau ou bec gaz)

3 Envoyer la pression (5 bars Maxi) et vous voyez la réparation se faire en 1 clin d'oeil , le métal reprend sa position initiale

Il faut aussi tapoter sur les bords avec un petit marteau là ou la tôle est la plus froissée ( au bord du cratère ); c'est à dire qu'il faut être 2 pour l'opération 1 qui gère le chalumeau et l'autre la pression et le marteau
CRF450R SuperMotard.
CR500AF SuperMotard under construction.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Thats pretty much how Dewayne Jones does it as well. Not sure how much pressure though.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

ISBB

Post by ISBB »

1 bars = 14.5037738

The Frenchies say 5 bars which is a bit over 70 PSI someone else mentioned 2 bars which is 29ish psi.. so i say shoot for the middle and stick 45-50 in there and see what happens :D
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

my mate dose hundreds a year in Melboure, Australia.
100psi......NO im not kidding.
i was taut by him to do it and ive never blown one out.

if only i could wire weld as good as him.(oxy)
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
DPinDet

pipe repair

Post by DPinDet »

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

I made plugs for both ends of pipe. Drilled and tapped the cyl. end plug to accept a male air fitting to connect the shop air hose to. I regulate the pressure @ 50-60psi. I think it is a good idea to "burn out" the pipe before plugging the ends and heating because it could become very explosive(the oily spooge inside) if you don't. Plug ends and apply pressure then use torch to start heating the dent. make circles around the dent starting on the outside and working towards the center. You have to get the metal good and red before the dent starts to slowly rise out.
Uzi

Post by Uzi »

KE 336 wrote:. I think it is a good idea to "burn out" the pipe before plugging the ends and heating because it could become very explosive(the oily spooge inside) if you don't. Plug ends and apply pressure then use torch to start heating the dent. make circles around the dent starting on the outside and working towards the center. You have to get the metal good and red before the dent starts to slowly rise out.
Thats a must if you get a fire going in the pipe from the left over oil and carbon its not pretty! It can melt your plugs out and cause the pipe to blow out and be completely ruined not to mention the molten metal flying around!

Just get a dial regulator and put it in-line like you would on a paint gun so you can set the pressure accurately and safely.
1982 XR200
1985 CR500 86' Motor
1990 CR500 85' Motor
2000 CR250
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

These are what I made up a few years ago to plug and supply air pressure.

This is before. It was a little more difficult to fix because of the funky bends it had on the welded seam.

After. Not perfect, but beats buying a new pipe everytime it gets dinged.