HELP! 94 SUMO build coming soon, but have some ???s first

Recount your rebuilds here!
LAYNFRM

HELP! 94 SUMO build coming soon, but have some ???s first

Post by LAYNFRM »

gonna be buying and converting a 94 CR500 to a street tard as soon as my 450X motard sells. does anyone know if rear hubs from ANY newer bikes will work with this swingarm setup? i really want the carrozzeria wheels because they sell them anodized red. i found them for 450's, and carrozzeria said the front would bolt up and i can just get some new wheel spacers made for the rear. does anyone know if that is just them trying to sell wheels, or if it will actuall work. i'd like to find out before dropping a lot of cash on wheels that can't be returned since i want them in red.

did they change the hubs a certain year? i checked bikebandit, and the part numbers changed and gained a few numbers in length. everything else seemed to have changed too as if they changed to a new part numbering system or something.

if i have to, i'll just go with some excels again, but i can't even find excel SUMO wheels for a 94 CR500... i don't want to have to get a set of factory hubs re-laced for a set of motard wheels either.

any help would be greatly appreciated
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

nobody knows?
08 Polaris RZR
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

I would say its possible to put any wheel on your bike. You would have to get bearings that match the od of your axel and make spacers.
Skies the limit.......
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

i just talked to jeff at east coast wheels. he is gonna machine some spacers for me when i order the wheels. problem solved.
08 Polaris RZR
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

LAYNFRM wrote:i just talked to jeff at east coast wheels. he is gonna machine some spacers for me when i order the wheels. problem solved.
Problem not solved... I think the disc offset and diameter is different
britincali

Post by britincali »

And the axle size.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

pstoffers wrote: You would have to get bearings that match the od of your axel and make spacers.
You do read the Queens english, dont you Brit?
britincali

Post by britincali »

:lol: :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

LAYNFRM wrote:i just talked to jeff at east coast wheels. he is gonna machine some spacers for me when i order the wheels. problem solved.
Nice!
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

xtremeslide wrote:
Nice!
i was pretty pumped when he said he could machine the spacers for me. that saved me a lot of trouble with having to hope the offset would clear the chain, and have a friend of mine's shop do them.

i'm going to look at the bike sunday, and if it's in pretty good shape (engine/frame/suspension wise), then i'll be coming home with a new bike. then i'll start an official build thread
08 Polaris RZR
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

pstoffers wrote:I would say its possible to put any wheel on your bike. You would have to get bearings that match the od of your axel and make spacers.
I've always found it easier to adapt the wheels/bearings to the CR's axle. But then again I machined the VFR axle to match up to the CR's forks. It's a big guessing game. Someting that works for one set of wheels/bearings won't work on another similar situtation.
I prefer using Honda VFR/VTR/F1/F2/F-whatever wheels on Honda conversions. I scored a set of used VFR rims, axles (axle), and brake hardware cheaper than a Sun rim/spoke sumo kit.
On my other bikes I laced in new rims on the old hubs.....and in my opinion Excell rims are pure junk. I prefer the rims made by the fine folks over at Sun.

Good luck on your build and post plenty of pics.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

well, scratch what i said before. unless my buddy backs out, i'll be trading my 450X for a 05 GEN3 CR250, and throwing my 500 motor in there, and my motard wheels on it. he'll be doing the fabwork, and another friend's parent's machine shop will be doing the final welds.
08 Polaris RZR