A/F road manners

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
supermotoflunkie

A/F road manners

Post by supermotoflunkie »

Im changing things up and moving. Maybe. I would have a longer commute-40 mins compared to 20. I have not had my Gen 1 on the road yet (or even finished the stupid small stuff I have left to complete the project).

Can a CR500 go 80MPH comfortably? This will most likely be nothing but a commuter bike so I can certainly gear it to the moon to keep revs down. otherwise i was thinking about selling and buying a sportbike but I REALLY dont want to do that.

Does anyone have real-world expireince with this?

Mike
Nate

Post by Nate »

Yeah easy. Just gear it for higher speeds.
--------www.UK2stroke.freeforums.org----------------
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Just gear it and go... :lol:
chachi243

well

Post by chachi243 »

you cannot expect your motor to last if youre gonna hold it in one throttle position at 80 ish for long periods...... something about the old baja 1000 guys holding down the kill switch for little blips here and there for a "quench" of fuel or whatever..... or running the choke for brief periods.... i cant remember exactly but you ought to plan to roll the slow lane so you could go from 60 to 90 and coast and then go 60-90 and then coast to give the motor a little fuel here or there...... had similar problems with the old RZ350's...... different motor i know but long periods of the exact same throttle position/revs and a 2 stroke do not mix well. Im no expert but we wadded our RZ and when i run 15-39 on my plated 500, i rarely take the freeway as it is extremely boring and harder onthe motor.
If i do use the freeway it is for short periods of on and off the throttle....
MICK

Post by MICK »

I don't have any experience running a two stroke at 3/4 or above throttle for miles upon miles at a time...but this is what I think.
Lubrication: If both your carb is jetted well and you're running more oil than I do (like 32:1) I believe your motor is going to see loads of lubrication. When things are tuned correctly more rpm = more lubrication. In many regards higher rpm is often much better than low rpm usage.
Tempurature: A bike running 80mph on the highway is going to run pretty cool. That's a much higher volume of air passing through those radiator cores than Honda had intended. Bike would probably run cooler than it does under normal use.

Using a new motor as a starting point, about the only thing I think would need changing after too long are the rings? I don't see it causing premature wear of the piston, bore, or bearings. A tired motor on the other hand I image would suffer from excellerated wear due to the loose tolerance of it's internals.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
97af

Post by 97af »

The 500 IS NOT a street bike. Get yourself a real street bike if you want a trouble free 80 - 100 mile a day commuter bike.A big bore 2 stroke single is the last thing I'd want to do that kind of distance with everyday.....
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I think it'll work but it won't be fun. I have a supermoto bike as a commuter and it was not a smart decision. It cruises just fine with street gearing, but the seat and riding position sucks. You may also find that you need to stiffen up the suspension. I doubt that the motor will that stressed providing you keeps the revs at a reasonable level.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Yeah but consistent throttle position is the killer of a two stroke. As long as you fluctuate the throttle it'd be fine albeit impractical. I ran my 500 flat out on a dry lake bed, passing up the four strokes (my bud's GPS said we were doing 86 - then I passed him (14/45) :) ) And even though a lot of air was passing thru the rads, I smelled all kindsa burning when I came to a rest...and I did fluctuate the throttle off/on, except towards the end.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

If you want a fun supermoto bike for long rides and high speeds, get a 4 stroke. My xr650r will work for freeways and can handle high speeds for hours. Plus they make awesome supermoto bikes, where the cr500 will tire you out and vibrate you to death.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote:When things are tuned correctly more rpm = more lubrication. In many regards higher rpm is often much better than low rpm usage.
No..... More throttle = more lubrication...

Cruising the freeway = high rpm with little lubrication ( small throttle opening).

Coasting on the freeway is high rpm with almost zero lubrication.

I would mix 20:1 for a street bike, and jet accordingly.
MICK

Post by MICK »

AlisoBob wrote: No..... More throttle = more lubrication...
Does a bike not turn more rpm with more throttle?
AlisoBob wrote:Cruising the freeway = high rpm with little lubrication (small throttle opening).
I'm confused :? Again I don't understand how you can "cruise" a dirt bike down a highway with no throttle and turn alot of rpm??
AlisoBob wrote:Coasting on the freeway is high rpm with almost zero lubrication.
And I agree100% with that. When you throttle back from high speed / rpm and the bike is idling down. It's running with little lubrication. But you cannot "coast" on a freeway with a CR500 and still run with traffic. It would require a good deal of throttle (rpm) and thus have plenty of lube...right?
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
m178

Post by m178 »

Pin it and let off. Pin it and let off. So on and so forth.
GEN4 500AF
2001 JR50 (daughters)
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

ALISOBOBS RIGHT,
same with a sprint kark.
the K100 is a tiny air cooled 2banger yet there are those that race them at motor car tracks aslong as 4km in length.
they gear them up run a cintrivical clutch to get them going and there fine.
i just got of the phone to a mate of mine a multi-Australian champion in this class, Daren Formosa, he runs the k100 slghtly richer then mornal and never drops a motor.
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

They have a race up here called the Nasty Wench. They hold it over at Pacific Raceways, formerly Seattle Int. Raceway,anyway it incorperates the MX track and the dragstrip and a few more miles of off road for a hell of a Harescrables course. But going down the drag strip for that far we would open and close the throttle or push the kill switch every so often. Never had a problem either way. The guys that hold it WOT all the way would powder pistons on occasion though.