I need help with my silencer. FMF? Spark arrestor?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Crow500

I need help with my silencer. FMF? Spark arrestor?

Post by Crow500 »

My silencer has an FMF sticker, but I'm not sure that it is. I know that the head pipe is FMF though. I'm interested in getting a spark arrestor to ride at the dunes. Can anyone tell me if for sure this is an FMF pipe and where I can get an arrestor? I contacted FMF, but have not gotten a response yet.
Image Image Image
britincali

Post by britincali »

Looks like a turbine core to me???

Post a pic of the inside.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

It looks like one regardless of the sticker. It should have a stamp on the outside rear below the rear mounty tab if that make sense ( your 3rd pic above the black thumb print). Ebay has spark arrestors all the time. Don't waste your monet on a Sparky, they wsuck and will eventyually fall off
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

It will say " US Forest Approved Spark Arrestor" on the silencer. If it doesn't call Mike at Teem Trubble, he can get you a Pro Circut Spark arestor. I just bought one from him.
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

that is either a turbine core 2, or a "q". from the website the turbine core 2 has writing on the outside at the back end. the q is on the outside front end.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

britincali wrote:Looks like a turbine core to me???

Post a pic of the inside.

When I look down the end, there is nothing inside, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one. Is it possible to replace the end cap to get it arrested? I don't think anything I have ever owned has had a spark arrestor.

JBaze wrote:It will say " US Forest Approved Spark Arrestor" on the silencer. If it doesn't call Mike at Teem Trubble, he can get you a Pro Circut Spark arestor. I just bought one from him.

I also didn't see any writing one the outside of the silencer or the end cap. How much is the one from Teem Trubble and can it be put on my silencer, or do I have to switch everything out?

hagendog wrote:Don't waste your monet on a Sparky, they wsuck and will eventyually fall off

Is there anyway I can make my own?
[/flowplayer]
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I paid like $156 (thats with shipping) for mine from Mike at TT. If you make your own and get caught using it on forest land you'll get in MORE trouble than if you just run a closed course silencer.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

The S/A's from Mike are bolt on and go.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

thats older version of powercore. their about the loudest silencer on the market. i have the new version and its loud as hell but i dont have noise constraints :lol:
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

JBaze wrote:If you make your own and get caught using it on forest land you'll get in MORE trouble than if you just run a closed course silencer.
That would suck. :cry:
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

100hp honda wrote:thats older version of powercore. their about the loudest silencer on the market. i have the new version and its loud as hell but i dont have noise constraints :lol:
I finally talked to FMF. It is a Powercore, no arrestor. They said the only option is to replace it with a Turbine Core that has the arrestor built in, or go with a sparky. I just want it to be legal so I don't get hit with a ticket. I was thinkin with a Sparky from what I could see on pics, I may be able to drill out the rivets on my end capand then rivet the sparky on either over the end cap, or in place of it. That hopefully would keep it from falling off.
Has anyone tried this or any other suggestions?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

a sparky is more or less just a mesh screen and you could probly get one to bolt on but it will look gay and it will still be loud :lol: . if you have the cash i would buy a new silencer with forestry aproval
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

A problem I had with them, was one the screen would clog up and the bike would run like garbage, also be bombing along get back to the truck and look to see it, and it had fallen off somewhere. Keep an eye on E-bay for a whole spark arrestor silencer or just save your beans and buy a new one.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

I don't have the cash right now, and I'm not sure how soo I would even need one. I still need to get the top end done, but I git a paddle for cheap and started looking into the dunes for something new. I'm not too worried about the noise, but I suppose if I get a ticket for it, I'll have to do something about that too.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

JBaze wrote:A problem I had with them, was one the screen would clog up and the bike would run like garbage, also be bombing along get back to the truck and look to see it, and it had fallen off somewhere. Keep an eye on E-bay for a whole spark arrestor silencer or just save your beans and buy a new one.
That was two things I was worried about too. As for the falling off, that is why I was wondering about riveting it on. Maybe I'll try packing a bunch of steel wool in the pipe and see if that would pass. :cool:
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

I always run a silencer in the dunes! Where are you riding? Every Banshee out there has T5's on it anyways and there silencers too. I run S/A at OHV parks and trail riding and that's it. Run it!!!!!!!!!!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

The first thing the rangers will do is look to see if it says USFS Approved stuff, and if it doesn't your screwed, then they will break out their little stick, and shove it into the pipe and when what ever is in there moves or if there is nothing for the stick to hit you'll have some serious explaining to do. As far as riviting goes, it would be great except having to continually remove it to clean it. The holes will get larger each time you drill the rivits, not trying to rain on your ideas, speaking from alot of personal experience just use the sparky or get the whole silencer, but the rangers know what to look for and it will cause you alot of misery not to mention trying to pull one over just gives those who don't like us dirt bikers more ammo against us.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

hagendog wrote:I always run a silencer in the dunes! Where are you riding? Every Banshee out there has T5's on it anyways and there silencers too. I run S/A at OHV parks and trail riding and that's it. Run it!!!!!!!!!!
We ride out near the Nellis area north of Vegas, you don't have to have a S/A there yet, and a dry lake bed area south of Vegas, no rangers there either, yet.
JBaze wrote: The holes will get larger each time you drill the rivits, not trying to rain on your ideas, speaking from alot of personal experience just use the sparky or get the whole silencer, but the rangers know what to look for and it will cause you alot of misery not to mention trying to pull one over just gives those who don't like us dirt bikers more ammo against us.
I didn't think about having to remove it to clean it. I will probably get a sparky to start with and get the whole set up later. I'll just have to make sure I keep checking it so I don't lose it. As for trying to pull something over, I can't afford to even risk it, and I don't want to be another stat it dirt riders looking bad. I have done enough of that on sport bikes in the past.
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

Sparkys are like $70 new and used I wouldn't buy. Ebay, my last S/A sold for $39 and it was a PC in good condition.
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

hagendog wrote:Sparkys are like $70 new and used I wouldn't buy. Ebay, my last S/A sold for $39 and it was a PC in good condition.
I'll have to keep my eyes open.
I have the FMF Gnarly pipe, What silencer would hook up to it?
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Crow500 wrote:
hagendog wrote:Sparkys are like $70 new and used I wouldn't buy. Ebay, my last S/A sold for $39 and it was a PC in good condition.
any of the FMF pipes will work with the gnarly, and i think some of the PC.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

south central hoon wrote:
Crow500 wrote:
any of the FMF pipes will work with the gnarly, and i think some of the PC.
I run an FMF Fatty now with the PC. Fit's just fine. :wink:
Crow500

Post by Crow500 »

Sweet, that will give me some other options then.