DPinDet Broke ground Today Gen 3 CR250 A/F

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
DPinDet

DPinDet Broke ground Today Gen 3 CR250 A/F

Post by DPinDet »

Hello again all,

Just wanted everybody to know that I am starting a new project. I picked up a mint 2004 CR250 about a month ago, and today I began the conversion of the frame. This will be my second conversion, the first being a Gen.2. This bike, being a Gen.3 , will be a bit easier with the approach that I am gonna be taking. Here are some pics for you to see how far I got. I will keep everybody posted as the progress moves forward.

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

DpinDet
"Trees are for traction"
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Holy crap, what did you pay for that thing? It looks brand new. :cool:
DPinDet

Broke Ground today

Post by DPinDet »

$2200 for it. The kid I got if from literally rode it 4 or 5 times. He said that it was scary fast and way too quick for him. He sold it to me so he could use the money to pay off his quad.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

That is going to be one purty conversion man. Please keep us updated!
CR500AC widget maker
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Yup.... Purrrrrrrr Deeeeeeeeee!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Nice score! Congrats bro!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
DPinDet

DPinDet Broke Ground today Gen.3 A/F

Post by DPinDet »

Got some more done today. Now you can see the method to my madness and the approach that I am taking. I feel that this is the easiest way to MOD the Gen.3 2-smoke bikes . Still a bit of work to go though. Please feel free to copy my method. You will not be sorry. Here's some pics. . . . .

I will keep yall posted as I go. Hoping to get it to the welder next week. Just gotta make up some lower frame extension pieces, rework the front upper motor mounts, and come up with a few coil mounts. All easy stuff.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
DPinDet

Got some more done tonight

Post by DPinDet »

Hello All. I machined some frame extensions today at the shop today and did some werk on the bike tonight. I am ready to go to weld tomorrow. Here are some pics so you can see my approach.

More to come later
"Trees are for traction"
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Which one you drinking?

The "Stay-Kleen" or the "Bud Light"?

:wink:
DPinDet

sta-kleen or butt light

Post by DPinDet »

Tonight I only had to put in three beers worth or werk. It went pretty quick.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Lookin' great man. That was a sweet deal for that clean of bike. I thought I did good with mine at $2,600.00. Clean, but not as clean as yours. :cool:
DPinDet

back from the Welder today

Post by DPinDet »

Got the frame back from the welder today. I cleaned up the welds a little and here is what we got. Going to start putting it back together this weekend. More pics to come. . . .

DPinDet

"Trees are for traction"
450kller

Re: Broke Ground today

Post by 450kller »

DPinDet wrote:$2200 for it. The kid I got if from literally rode it 4 or 5 times. He said that it was scary fast and way too quick for him. He sold it to me so he could use the money to pay off his quad.

DPinDet
DPinDet,
Reese told me that you had another little project going.... but I had no idea. That bike is looking SSSWWWWEEEEEETTTTT!

You forgot to mention that the kid you bought it from even delivered it to you from Ohio!!!!! :shock:

When's the next trip up north?? I will have to show you the little project that I am working on.. It is a GEN 1 500AF, except this time I am going streetlegal SUMO style.

Anyways, great job so far and let me know if you need someone to help you finish those Bud Lights!!!!!!

Later,
Rob
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Well if your not going to jump the bike much should be ok. A doubler front and back to the top part of the Y would make me feel safer. The front mounts could crack as most are wrapped around to the inside of the frame. Somebody had to say it....
DPinDet

Gen 3 A/F

Post by DPinDet »

Thanks Rob. We are heading up to Bob's place March 10 for the first official ride of the year. All are welcome.

Iggy. . . .I hear ya. The bike only sees woods/trail riding as I am too old for the track. The downtube engages into the Y about 1/2". Not mucn different than the way AlisoBob's is, other than his is machined to accept it. We'll see. Cross your fingers.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
iggys-amsoil

Re: Gen 3 A/F

Post by iggys-amsoil »

DPinDet wrote:The bike only sees woods/trail riding as I am too old for the track.

DPinDet
:cool: Man.

People crack me at times. I'm 51, this hill was a blast.

This was taken before all the accel and braking bumps were added.
Mt. St. Helens.

Sorry for the drift.
450kller

Re: Gen 3 A/F

Post by 450kller »

DPinDet wrote:Thanks Rob. We are heading up to Bob's place March 10 for the first official ride of the year. All are welcome.

DPinDet
I don't know if I can wait that long!!!!! :wink: That is almost a year away!! dO YOU MEAN MAY??
DPinDet

RIDES

Post by DPinDet »

Sorry about that, Yup May 10
"Trees are for traction"
MXer746

Post by MXer746 »

Let me get this straight, what did you do exactly? It kinda looks like you ground off the weld on the top of the Y and slid the down tube farther intop the Y, effectively raising the Y. Is that correct? Then you added some extensions to the lower down tubes. Right?
'99 CR500 beer can conversion
DPinDet

Gen 3 A/F

Post by DPinDet »

That is correct. I still maintain the existing factory "Y" design and my frame extensions are welded in the part of the frame between the lower and front motor mount.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
MXer746

Post by MXer746 »

So how is that gonna be less structually sound? That seems to me to be actually better, at least at the Y where you have more metal overlaping each other. I like that.
'99 CR500 beer can conversion
DPinDet

GEN 3 A/F

Post by DPinDet »

I agree. The bike rides smooth, feels great, looks factory, and no problems to date. I guess this is just another way of "skinning the cat" .

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
mega491

Post by mega491 »

I used your Y and downtube techique, very slick. By locating the cut on the downtubes in the location between the bottom and front motor mounts like that it is much stronger since the motor takes some of the load from the downtube splice welds and the technique doesn't require bending them for the front motor mount bolt. Did you bend up your headstays by hand? How does you carb boot line up or how did you get it to line up?
DPinDet

AF CONVERSION

Post by DPinDet »

I bent up my headstays with a press brake, then cut and shaped the brackets to my liking. The carb boot lined up perfectly. It was a little tight, but I got it in 5 or 10 minutes.

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"
DPinDet

Gen 3 conversion

Post by DPinDet »

Bike is all together and performs flawless. Here are some pic of the final product. Everything came out looking very "factory" !

DPinDet
"Trees are for traction"