Air Box which one works for each gen?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Ported&Polished

Air Box which one works for each gen?

Post by Ported&Polished »

I need to know which one for the gen 3, but can we get a list of what works for all gens starting with gen 1?
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
mxracr121

Re: Air Box which one works for each gen?

Post by mxracr121 »

Ported&Polished wrote:I need to know which one for the gen 3, but can we get a list of what works for all gens starting with gen 1?
You'll be just fine with the stock one.

From what I've heard, if I remember right, get the carb clamped into the airbox first, then clamp the carb onto the manifold. I heard some guys say they fought with a bit, others said peice of cake.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
Ported&Polished

On preliminary fitting, it seems that the box is kicked to the side a bit, but moves into alighnment with a little push.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

The Gen 3 boot/airbox is junk. The boot is flush mount and that's just asking for trouble. That and the filter cage is flimsy and the boot mounting nubs get in the way of the filter.

I've modded my airbox to accept the older double-lip boot and the steel airfilter base. With that, you can run the older/stronger filter cage.

I cut out the filter base just inside of the bead used to allign the stock flush mount boot. I then drilled out the mounting nubs and used a Dremel tool to remove the bead.

I tried a '01 CR250 boot first and that's kicking the carb so far to the left that it's touching the lower intake bolt. I'm going to try a '98 CR250 boot and see how that works. If it does, I'll use some 3M weatherstrip glue to seal it all up. :cool:

So, for Gen3 250 builds, the stock boot or, hopefully, a '98 CR250 will work. I just wouldn't recommend the stock one.
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

He has the the PC Racing airbox ring on his between the boot and airbox, plus extra silicon to be safe, so it doesn't have the stock problems. I never had any dirt or water get in.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
Ported&Polished

Yea! :x ....... :D It's a good box, I'm not worried.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

mxracr121 wrote:He has the the PC Racing airbox ring on his between the boot and airbox, plus extra silicon to be safe, so it doesn't have the stock problems. I never had any dirt or water get in.
Yeah, I know a lot of folks were running their set up. Mxbonz.com also sells a nice fix. :cool:

I went this route because, if you think of the route dirt would have to travel on a flush-mount boot, it's not much. Think about what it has to travel on a sealed double-lip boot, well, it's a hellova' lot. :cool:
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

I thought the hot ticket was the 2000 boot. I read somewhere that the '00 and '01 had different carbs and the 2000 boot worked great unlike the '01. I think it fits right up to the carb. Not sure, though.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the 2000 boot is supposed to be the hot ticket. The cr250 changes to the mikuni TMX in '01 and that carb is shorter, so the boot is longer.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

2weelz wrote:I thought the hot ticket was the 2000 boot. I read somewhere that the '00 and '01 had different carbs and the 2000 boot worked great unlike the '01. I think it fits right up to the carb. Not sure, though.
There's a thread on Thumper Talk where a guy used a '98 boot on a '02 CR250 box. That's why I mentioned '98. Not sure about the '00. :?
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

I used an 06 125 airbox with a 03 boot, no leaks like the 02-03 did and fit perfect. The 06 boot had a weird angle on it :wink:
Ported&Polished

I did some more fitting of my 03 airbox and boot to the carb, it is not a very good alighnment. I don't have the boot to carb clamp, so I'm not sure if I can force fit the 3 parts together well enough. It will be tight, and the rubber parts will be stretched some for sure. But it may work, at least for now. I will try it and if I don't like it, I will get the recommended stuff you guys used. :wink:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

I have an 88 motor and had to use a 98 intake and reed cage, forgot about that. Once that was done it's was gravy. I fought this for a good day or so and then............ like butter. AND I have a 6.0 spring on it
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, I had to use the newer intake boot on my '86 motor. but the newer ones are smaller at the opening, so I matched it to my reed cage. On my gen-1 the air box boot didn't fit quite right, so I got it nice and hot with a heat gun, than put everything together and clamped everything, then withg it installed I heated it a couple more times and let it cool. now it sits that way natually and fits like it was make to.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

hagendog wrote:I used an 06 125 airbox with a 03 boot, no leaks like the 02-03 did and fit perfect. The 06 boot had a weird angle on it :wink:
I am shoping flea bay for an air box for my third gen.

So was there a change in design of the air box / air boot connection in '04?

Did they return to the steel hardware, and the grooved boot?

What year range should I be looking for?