why is this like that.

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
tweav

why is this like that.

Post by tweav »

why is there all that welding done in front of the peg on this service honda ? what is all that mess about ? and why does it look welded out of line ?

MICK

Post by MICK »

Why is that piece even there? They couldn't just weld some tabs to the cradle that already existed? You should have posted this on the "lets bitch about S/H" thread. I can't keep defending S/H when I continue to see work like this :(
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote:I can't keep defending S/H when I continue to see work like this :(
An apology would be nice....
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

that is some ghetto nigyver shit right there! I could do better with my wire feed and I SUCK at welding! :shock:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MICK

Post by MICK »

AlisoBob wrote: An apology would be nice....
I still don't see anything fundamentally wrong with it. Of the hundreds of 500AF's sold I've never heard of a single frame failure.

I've never seen another S/H bike but my own. I'd like to believe these bikes may have been shipped before getting the QC nod of approval. Maybe it's far more simple as already suggested. Are they building bikes faster than they can build "correctly"? Whatever the case may be, that S/H and others shown on this board are an abomination.

I'm still not convinced S/H is shit. If the bike pictured above was in my garage would I be all kinds of pissed off? Absolutely! But it's not. Maybe because I pushed my AF off their showroom they didn't try and sell me shoddy work? I sure as hell wouldn't have left with the bike shown above for $7900. As it is however I am quite happy with my particular AF and feel somewhat obligated to mention not ALL S/H bikes are done this poorly.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Your telling me "I" bash S/H bikes, you say
MICK wrote:I can't keep defending S/H when I continue to see work like this ,Sad
Not much of a difference in opinion.

Post up some detailed photos of yours, lets see.

Ive only seen a handful of S/H bikes, and this is what I saw.

I've seen two failed S/H Bike chassis. Both right at the "Y" / Downtube connection. ( 3 if you count Tracy's, which tore open at the spar, not a S/H weld however)

Ive seen two chaffed wiring harness's.

I've seen one delivered with the carb top cross threaded, and barely attached.

Stoffers says his was delivered with the motormount bolts falling out.

Ive never call it "Shit work". Things could be done a little better.... thats all.

:idea:
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

The rest of that bike looks new and clean. My bud has a 05 SH with the exact same booger welds, and many grinder marks. Is his bike bitchen? Yes. Is it falling apart at the weld? No. Did he pay 10G's for his used from SH? Yes. Was he bent outta shape by how his bike arrived to him from SH? Yes. Other things were done is a spoogy manner including loose parts, poorly assembled engine components and the shipping crate was fricken wasted when he got the bike. Looked like it was thrown off the dock and banged from stem to stern in the shipping truck. He had to reassemble several items that where falling off the bike when it arrived at his door. All that means to me is that I will spend my money elsewhere.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
MICK

Post by MICK »

Bob I think S/H has room for improvement. When I see crap I call it as I see it. I just don't "see" much crap from S/H. I expect a small amount of problems with anything I purchase. Loose motor mount bolts I can forgive, a frame failure I cannot...I was unaware of so many problems among S/H bikes. Like I said, mine is the only one I've personally seen.

My RC51 developed a leak from behind a factory Honda weld on the gas tank. OEM price is $800. I consider a fuel leak onto a pipeing hot header a catastrophic failure. Honda stopped taking my phone calls asking for help. My AF wouldn't grab 5th gear during my first ride. S/H had a guy stop at my house in NC on his way up from FL to fix it. The problem soon disappeared on it's own, but it meant a lot to me that S/H would stand beside their work like that.

From what I've seen here it looks to me like S/H needs to consolidate their manufacturing techniques. It's like they have four or five guys that do the work, and each has got his own way of getting it done? I don't understand it?

Bob or anyone else can say as much about S/H as they want. You're not hurting my feelings. For god's sake this is an open forum for open minded...at times very opinionated CR500 riders. And if I'm the ONLY satisfied S/H customer on this forum then so be it. Trust me, the day I have to fix a S/H induced problem on my AF this forum...and the next will hear about it.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Well said Mick.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I don't get it. I remember AJ saying its just easier to redo the whole cratel because of the inconsitistce? of the frames being off by 2mm's or more. The pic above is a Gen 4. Sad very sad. :?
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Spray chain lube on it and then throw some dirt on it then you won't see it but, I like my bikes clean.
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

teemtrubble wrote:Spray chain lube on it and then throw some dirt on it
That keeps it hidden from others, but YOU still know its there.....

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

When you buy a bike and spend 10k would you buy it with out seeing it? NO! So you know it's gonna look like that so the people who buy them just expect and accept that and, they all look that way some of them are much worse. Anyone who spends 10k doesn't really want to say they're disapointed in the way it looks me personally would not accept that. It is a classic case of lack of pride in thier workmanship or engineering or both and this is not a shot at SH it applies to everything! On the lighter side after you spend 10k you have to buy chain lube anyway and it's cheaper than a big piece of carpet! :rotfl:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

I posted this before I saw other thread am I a basher?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The truth is never "bashing"...
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Thanks Bob me like you but, no lunchie lunchie
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

teemtrubble wrote:Thanks Bob me like you but, no lunchie lunchie
You told me you were taking me out for Sushi?

I love Toro.....

:wink:
Uncle Cracker

Post by Uncle Cracker »

I was the general manager of two motorcycle dealerships and the owner used to tell me if its bad news I don't want to hear it. I now support 3 jet engine product lines, and I can tell you this. Every legitimate customer complaint should not only addressed, but if it is a workmanship issue then the internal process needs to be addressed. The reputation of your organization is measured on each and every transaction you make. Honda makes a great product, and the fact that our AF's work so good can almost 100% of the time be attributed to Honda. I have seen a few SH's and feel that the workmanship of the units I have seen Is sub par. It takes the same amount of time to do it wrong, than to do it right. Somebody, and maybe that person is AJ and maybe it's someone other than that, is in a leadership role at SH. If this is the type of work they do, then they have decided that the COQ (cost of quality) is where they want it, to produce the ROI (return on investment) that they expect. If the buying public is willing to pay $10K for this level of workmanship then they can keep making bikes that are rough around the edges. They have no competition to make them get better. Competition is what makes you a better company. When SH sold most of these bikes, they were the only game in town. With this site and others, there is now competition. If SH's sales start to take a hit, then maybe they will have to look at what ever is causing that hit (price, quality). As long as there are two people doing the same thing there will be comparisons between the two. This is not bashing! This is the market using its voice and when they start talking with their wallets SH will start listening or simply go away. Until then we can sit back a enjoy all the comparisons and entertainment. :D
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Well said, college boy...
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

AlisoBob wrote:
teemtrubble wrote:Thanks Bob me like you but, no lunchie lunchie
You told me you were taking me out for Sushi?

I love Toro.....

:wink:
I don't recall that statement can't we just be friends pleeeeze :cry:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

The AF World According To Cracker.........spot on!
CR500AC widget maker
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

x2
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)