Wanted Billet Engine Mounts

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
MalW

Wanted Billet Engine Mounts

Post by MalW »

I saw these in AlisoBobs Gen 4 Build Thread, the Shanmans Billet Engine Mounts?
look great and I need some for my build starting soon
I have searched the site and could not find any more info.
I anyone knows where I can find them please let me know.
Cheers
Mal[/img]
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

those were for gen1 250r chassis.

what year are you building?
MalW

Post by MalW »

Hi Roosty,
Gen 4, 2008 CRF450
AlisoBob mentioned that he had used those mounts on builds over several different generation Frames.
I like them as they have plenty of contact area onto the down tubes...and they look good.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I don't like that they end up so wide from face to face that you can't fit an oem bolt in them.
I waterjet generic mounts now for this reason, not aware of anyone still fabricating the shaman style mount. I'm sure there is a drawing file of it here somewhere yet.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I have Bobs old bike, I hated that bolt that Roosty is talking about, it had a nonshouldered bolt in it and it drove me crazy. I measured what was in there and went into Rocky Mountain MC's site and started looking at all kinds of different hondas to find a factory Honda bolt that would fit it and not look like I picked it up at the Hardware store. It took a while but can be done. When I see a non factory non shouldered bolt or nut on a Honda something in me goes crazy!!!
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Yep
MalW

Wanted Billet Mounts

Post by MalW »

Small Problem...Easily Fixed.
Bevel the side of the billet mount about 3mm x 45 Degrees and also the edge of the square tube if needed, should not need it if it comes with a radius corner already.
Weld within the groove and then grind the weld flush.
No bolt problem anymore...even for a match drilled oversise bolt as has been discussed in other areas
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

No, the problem is the mount intends to use a bolt wider than the frame rails since it's about 1.125" wide, there was an oem bolt from a quad chassis or something at 210mm? I think. Looks like crap and it's this fitment we are talking about. Besides that the mounts are not the same angle or dimension as required for any other frame, was on twisted rectangular tube. . Never grind the rails, make a mount that fits it.
MalW

Post by MalW »

Ok I see what you mean..... bolt sticking outside of the frame rails, might look a bit crap.
Maybe better with the CP500 kit and integrated mounts??
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Yea thats what I pulled it off was some kind of a quad piece, don't remember the exact length but I know the first one I bought seemed a little long so I got one a few MM shorter. You cant really see the bolt when the whole bike is put together. If I was to modify the mount I would lay the outer part flat and index it up in a mill, then cut some off of that face leaving the overall piece thinner and not modify the rails....modify the mount thickness but on the outer edge not the inner one. I don't know enough about the effects of a billet solid piece as a whole hunk of frame rail, I have not heard anyone really complain about it affecting anything but I have not ridden one. I don't have any complaints about how mine was put together or the way it rides, but I am with Roosty, whatever you do leave the integrity of the tubing alone.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica