85 clutch upgrade

Everything fuel spark and hard part regarding the engine. OEM, Aftermarket and custom.
edtucholski

85 clutch upgrade

Post by edtucholski »

:( :cool: :lol: :twisted: :idea:
I have an 89 cr500 with an 85 engine fitted to it with the 89 side cover to fix the old water pump issue. I, like so many others I'm sure, put steel plates in to try to get more than one ride out of my oil. It really concerned me, considering the time and expense that I went through changing out everything possible-rod-bearings seals-available bushings etc, some time ago.
I also put new frictions in while I was in there. I filed the fingers slightly to make everything smooth. Now comes the question/problem at hand. I could really appreciate some expert/experienced help here.
When I first took the bike out, it pulled great and it still does. I rode it a second time and I am getting some pretty hardcore noise from inside of the clutch cover. Loud ringing, which become less after the clutch is let out.
I drained the oil to find it mostly clean except for some aluminum pulverized during the last few ounces of drain. It seems to me that I have traded one problem-very dirty oil-for a screwed up basket-which is VERY bad. I have not unbolted the discs and plates yet to see if some or one is broken until I hear from some of you guys as to how to proceed. I think the basket is pretty shot.
With an 85 CR500R Engine, could I possibly upgrade to the 86-89 basket and needle bearing so that I can have a new rolling assembly??? If the 85 shaft is BIGGER, couldn't the collar be milled on the inside to fit???? I saw on the tech downloads that the 85 and 86 shafts are definitely different in diameter. Are all of those shaft measurements correct??? One was 23mm and one was 24mm in diameter where the collar slides on. I will worry about some of the other thrust washer thicknesses and configuration after finding out if I could go with the measurements on that download. I read on another post that a guy was working on an 85 and someone told him that the collar and needle would work, only till 89 because of his case depth. I am not clear. the shaft page says you have to change the trans shaft to an 86-01 on an 85??? They conflict. HELP me get my baby back in pristine, non noisy condition.
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, ALTHOUGH YOU BETTER NOT HAVE. LIFE IS SHORT, LIVE HARD. ALTHOUGH RESPECT IS EARNED, I KISS NO-ONES ASS!!!!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

you can slip the newer baskets onto your inner gear, you are stuck with the bearing situation unless you swap the trans shaft.