I fixed weak spark/no start issue

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
crashtestdummy

I fixed weak spark/no start issue

Post by crashtestdummy »

I have a 1992 motor in a 1997 250 frame. This summer myself, my son in-law, my nephew in-law and my in-law built a 40 x 36 shop with 12' 6" ceiling height for my son in-law, re-roofed three houses belonging to family members, hauled in 25 cu/yds of dirt and landscaped the three houses. I did not ride at all this year but the others got in three days of riding. Now that our projects are done I finally got around to my yearly tear down and inspection of my five hundred.

I put in a Rekluse clutch and another 800 dollars in maintenance parts. When I had everything together it wouldn't start. I checked the spark first and I thought the spark was pretty weak. I had put in a new coil the year before. I checked all of the resistance levels of the various components and they were all within spec. I thought "Shit" Now I may have to buy electrical parts that may or may not fix the problem.

I decided to remove all of the electrical components and wiring then take them to my electronics bench at home. As I sat there looking at what I had on the bench I thought, Why not replace all of the connectors with water proof connectors from the auto supply house and trim back the coil lead just for fun.

I do not use crimping as a type of connection because usually you cut some of the wire. All of my wires were cut back and the connectors were soldered and shrink wrapped. I was pleased with the end results so I installed the electrical back on my 500. I set the pick-up gap at .004 instead of .007 and I believe that made a difference also.

Now I had a fat blue spark (I almost pee'd like an excited puppy). It started on the fourth kick like it used to. I think that a wire on a connector had degraded to the point that it showed proper resistance but was to weak to function as it should have.

So even if it looks fine and the resistance is good, it may be worth the effort to replace the connections.

I hope this helps someone.
Steve
I can't hang on to my 500 but I love trying
jobjornar

no spark

Post by jobjornar »

hey i also have no spark, tried in a dark room, coil maybe?