What's this?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Tharrell

What's this?

Post by Tharrell »

Maybe this has been posted before, sorry if it has.

http://youtu.be/qijiGuEmOok
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Its Roostius showing the apt smartcarb startup.
Kevin
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

That's a samsquanch starting a mini-bike!
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Nodge wrote:That's a samsquanch starting a mini-bike!
:rotfl:

ya, thats me. I made that vid lastnight
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I must have missed any posting of it on here.
Looks like a winner as easily as that bike started.
What's the story on it?
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

this is one of the comments funny fucker i havnt ridden a 500 that lacked bottom end that carb setup looks the goods roosty

TheOfficialKC 5 hours ago

You should try building a 380AF hybrid. I know guys that have ridden both love the 380. One member on KTMTalk used to have Honda 500s, but after he rode the 380 he switched. A stock 380 is as powerful or more as a stock 500. But it is modern design with power valve that gives it all the low end grunt a 500 lacks. THe 500 can certainly make tons of power with mods, and has good aftermarket support, but the 380 is a sweet motor. The best of an old 500 and modern 300.
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

gregrobo wrote:this is one of the comments funny fucker i havnt ridden a 500 that lacked bottom end that carb setup looks the goods roosty

TheOfficialKC 5 hours ago

You should try building a 380AF hybrid. I know guys that have ridden both love the 380. One member on KTMTalk used to have Honda 500s, but after he rode the 380 he switched. A stock 380 is as powerful or more as a stock 500. But it is modern design with power valve that gives it all the low end grunt a 500 lacks. THe 500 can certainly make tons of power with mods, and has good aftermarket support, but the 380 is a sweet motor. The best of an old 500 and modern 300.
Was funny - his reply was even better:

500bigbore 54 minutes ago
a 500 with a powervalve is called a Kawasaki.
Reply · in reply to TheOfficialKC

:lol:

So is this APT better to get into than the pulse setup?
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

dude is gonna be pissed at my replies, haha

I'd posted this in the APT carb thread at traceys on the 22nd

Today in 79f 65% humidity I lit the beast!
The bike doesn't like choke at these conditions.
It fired up good, set the idle, then proceed to break in this new Wiseco equipped top end with some tire annihilating wfo runs down the road, hahaha.

This bike just got home from California Thursday evening, I put it together with it ready to go by midnight Friday.
It's in a gen3 250 frame, the big billet carb cleared the chassis everywhere, cable worked once I clipped 1/4" off the housing like summitboy had run into last week with his unit also.
The clamping flange is not like a cast carb but has a machined ring lower than the other portion to let it grip, could be better.
From where it was set I richened it a click of the metering rod, it's feeling good, excellent in fact. I would like a pinch more fuel up top which requires a different rod, I expect to be certain of this in the cool September riding.
I put just over an hour of actual riding on the bike once I was done fiddling with fresh assembly things like lever positions, etc.

Carb pulls smooth and clean in low gear, doesn't load or get fumbly when geared too tall like trying to get moving in 3rd from barely a rolling start.
Deceleration is better than the pwks from my experiences. They require more fuel metered to keep them in the safe spot on decel than what they actually need for acceleration. Keep in mind that I was riding it to over exemplify the requirement most guys have. I pulled the gears long as possible and decelerated for the same with picking up throttle to see if it would catch up smoothly and it did. Obviously I can't speak for it running hot or cold, i didn't spew any water and I rang the snot out if it in decently tight bush with an 8mph breeze.
The bike has stock porting, stock reed and boot, stock ignition, close 1990 style trans, 14/49 gearing, a 110 tire and a fatty pipe. I chose the fatty from my wall of pipes after seeing the immaculate condition of the stock pipe the bike came with. The stock one is now in the archives.
There's a big storm building in the west, we'll see what tomorrow brings but I'd like to get a few more hours on it, not that I need to tune it at all but I just want to ride the dang thing!!!

I need to change the bars to something lie a CR bend for the ATV style ones on it, swap a set of my wheels onto it with an M5B, and mix some more fuel!

I'm running 91 pump premium with ethanol.

On a scale of 1-10 with the stock PJ being a 1, the PWK at 4, the 38mm smart carb comes in at a 6 with the pulse injected pwk at an 8.

Setup, after purchase parts required (possibly 1 metering rod at 15$), and ease of tuning is going to put these carbs on top of everything else out there.

I will be pulse injecting this one yet.

since that, I decided against the pulse deal, not enough fuel map adjustment to have it make sense.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

gregrobo wrote: all the low end grunt a 500 lacks.
That guy has obviously never ridden a 500.....the low end grunt on my bike tries to throw me off all the time lmao
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

NightBiker07 wrote:
That guy has obviously never ridden a 500.....the low end grunt on my bike tries to throw me off all the time lmao
Same here.
I posted a video of my faux paux "flip" for all to see. DOH!
Not my best moment.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I remember that one :rotfl: you should start a 500 blooper thread starting with that, can add the guy in the short shorts trying to start his hundy, I'll through in my motor siezure.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I had a little dance over a log thismorning. I'll clip it down to make it loadable. I seen it coming for a bit, a tuck and roll deal, haha
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

NightBiker07 wrote:
This saturday I had a BBQ at my house and one of my riding buddies was there who rides a cr250 that i have to say is the strongest 250 i have ever ridden. He was talking shit about how his bike was just as powerful as mine. So i say you should ride it and find out. Well needless to say he hit the throttle wheelied uncontrollably missed my neighbors garage by a couple inches and dumped it in their driveway. After i caught my breath from laughing so hard i told him dont feel bad your just another person that didnt respect the 500 and hit the ground after. Talking about a 500 and actually riding one is a whole different animal. We all know he wont be talking that BS anymore.
Kevin
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Here's my 2 crashes caught on video.
One is my CR250.
To be fair, it had been over 20 years since I'd ridden and that damn slanted root just got me in the woods video.
I don't know how to post it right but here they are anyway,
Enjoy:)

http://youtu.be/VnJnkeAZ9jQ

http://youtu.be/SHFtBCuF1aA