Husaberg conversion?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Iceman

Husaberg conversion?

Post by Iceman »

I have a CR500 in a 02 450 frame and do not like it at all (suspension is brutal, even after 2 revalves). So I have been on the hunt for another rolling chassis (prefer a KTM because I have a 525, 450, 350).

I'm pretty sure it won't work. But I'm going to look at a 2010 Husaberg FX450 today.
Motor is trashed. I'm pretty sure that my CR500 will have issues with the frame and air box (this is a bike with the 70 degree motor that is FI). I guess I will find out tomorrow.
Does anyone have a opinion on this one? Thanks
2002 CR500 AFC
FMF fatty, V-force, 39PWK, Dyno Port engine, EGT
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I'll bet you will have to bend new lower rails for the frame, but I'm pretty sure it's steel, isn't it?

I say go for it.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Its steel
2002 CR500 AFC
Tharrell

Re: Husaberg conversion?

Post by Tharrell »

Iceman wrote:I have a CR500 in a 02 450 frame and do not like it at all (suspension is brutal, even after 2 revalves). So I have been on the hunt for another rolling chassis (prefer a KTM because I have a 525, 450, 350).

I'm pretty sure it won't work. But I'm going to look at a 2010 Husaberg FX450 today.
Motor is trashed. I'm pretty sure that my CR500 will have issues with the frame and air box (this is a bike with the 70 degree motor that is FI). I guess I will find out tomorrow.
You know, I loved my '01 CR250 but, I think the 19" tire caused it to be harsher than normal.
I could get off it and back on my CR500 with an 18" rear tire and it felt plush.
Now, these both had brand new Dunlops exactly the same except for rim size.
The AF was developed for stupidcross and the frame is stiffer, maybe that and the tire with little sidewall flex contributes to a "feeling every little bump" ride.
I would feel every small bump on a rock road, dirt trail.
(I tended to get monkey butt more on the CR250)
Yet, it soaked up massive hits like they weren't there.
I wonder what an AF feels like with an 18" rear? :?:
Iceman

Fx450

Post by Iceman »

No dice on picking this one up cheap. He wanted too much and was keeping the forks.

I did end up buying some blue wheels for my KTM's. :lol:
2002 CR500 AFC
Iceman

Re: Husaberg conversion?

Post by Iceman »

The issue I'm having is the forks, maybe I will tear them off and revalve them myself (since I'm off the bike for 12 more weeks)

Tharrell wrote:
Iceman wrote:I have a CR500 in a 02 450 frame and do not like it at all (suspension is brutal, even after 2 revalves). So I have been on the hunt for another rolling chassis (prefer a KTM because I have a 525, 450, 350).

You know, I loved my '01 CR250 but, I think the 19" tire caused it to be harsher than normal.
I could get off it and back on my CR500 with an 18" rear tire and it felt plush.
Now, these both had brand new Dunlops exactly the same except for rim size.
The AF was developed for stupidcross and the frame is stiffer, maybe that and the tire with little sidewall flex contributes to a "feeling every little bump" ride.
I would feel every small bump on a rock road, dirt trail.
(I tended to get monkey butt more on the CR250)
Yet, it soaked up massive hits like they weren't there.
I wonder what an AF feels like with an 18" rear? :?:
2002 CR500 AFC
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I have an 04 450AF and the suspension is the best part ABOUT the bike. My usual guy valved my forks, they're plush like all his work and I have an Ohlins shock with stock valving in it. It has the right spring on it, but need to get it valved for my 260 lb carcass. I'd say get your forks right, and you'll like the bike better.
If you are riding on that bluegroove at Wild Rose Park on Blackfoot trail, that might be part of the problem. If that place hasn't been groomed in the last year, I remember the square edge curbs that used to develop. Nothing is plush on that track then. :wink:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I have an 04 450AF and the suspension is the best part ABOUT the bike. My usual guy valved my forks, they're plush like all his work and I have an Ohlins shock with stock valving in it. It has the right spring on it, but need to get it valved for my 260 lb carcass. I'd say get your forks right, and you'll like the bike better.
If you are riding on that bluegroove at Wild Rose Park on Blackfoot trail, that might be part of the problem. If that place hasn't been groomed in the last year, I remember the square edge curbs that used to develop. Nothing is plush on that track then. :wink:
yz500

Post by yz500 »

I had a CRF 450F conversion, and it pushed really bad in the turns so I sold it and used the YZ 250F platform, and it handles 100% better. Its actually a great platform for the honda 500