Waterpump seal

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Kuma

Waterpump seal

Post by Kuma »

Can the waterpump seal be changed without removing the side cover?
I've never done this but I've heard that you can change the crank seal using a dent puller (wood screw and slide hamer), will this also work for the waterpump seal, water side?
I know, why not just pull the side cover and push it out? it's the one on the hybrid and cover won't come off without droping the engine :cry:
Also if you're a tight wad like me, don't have to buy an extra gasket!
Thanks
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

you should ba able to just pull the impeller if your only replacing the water seal
if its never been off heat the impeller with a propane torch, it comes with some real strong locktite
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Got the impeller off, no problem there, can I pull the seal and replace without taking the side cover off?
It just has a minor drip now, probably just dry from sitting so long, I'd like to replace it but i'm lazy :oops: , if I have to pull the motor, then I'll see if it is something that will either seal it's self once it's got coolant and running a bit or if I can remove and replace from the outside then I'll take care of it now. just want to avoid destroying it and being forced to pull the motor.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

There's actually 2 seals in there. The one on the water pump side you can change by removing the impeller, and the other you have to pull the side cover off to access.

Go for it and change it.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I only need the water seal replaced. just a drip of coolant out the weap hole not oil.

Fastkart, how is the vibration in your kart? did you do anything to reduce the vibes? are you hard mounted or isolator mounts?

OK to hijack my own thread :wink:
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

The motor mounts right to the frame using an aluminum mount to the front and back mounts in the cases and nothing on the head stay. No rubber to help dampen.

I didn't think the vibration was too bad to be honest. I never had an issue where my hands would go numb from the vibes or anything like that.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

fastkart wrote:There's actually 2 seals in there. The one on the water pump side you can change by removing the impeller, and the other you have to pull the side cover off to access.

Go for it and change it.
Yup....

Make sure you note that they face opposite directions...
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Hi Kuma and guys I dont want to hijack your thread but I have a similar question. The other day I noticed a small amount of coolant coming out of the weep hole below the water pump, it wasnt allot but what I am gathering from the above looks like a seal has gone. Is that weep hole there to give you a indication when the seal has gone? I just wanted a little advice before I ripped into it. Is this a easy fix or a little more involved, as I am only learning.
Cheers
Jason
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

That's exactly why that holes there. If its leaking, change the seal. It won't repair itself. Lol. As for you manual question, do they have Clymer manuals in Oz? Good resource and cheap. Those guys go through EVERYTHING and matching photos to boot. Spend the money. Change both seals on the impeller, oil and water side. If you aren't in a hurry, tear it apart and be sure the impeller shaft is worn before you order a new one. If it is, get it. If not, clean it with fine emery cloth and re-use it. :wink:
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Thanks scooter, seems it sounds ridiculous to you that I dont know, but that is why I asked, after 15 years away from bikes, even back then I paid everyone to do everything. This I wish to change, I wish to learn and that is what I thaught this forum was for. I hadent heard of the clymer manuals but I will certainly look at getting one, America seems to be the only place so far where they are plentful., thankyou for the information. I am concerned about the engine, I have only just put 2 hours on it and only recently fixed a few other issues and I have had the bike a number of months. Thanks again for the starting point.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I was able to change the seal, pretty easily, pull the cover off the waterpump, you will likely need 2 new gaskets. the pump seal is less than $6 so it's worth a shot. was able to take a small punch and knock the edge of the seal in, then a small hook and it pulled right out. seal comes pre greased, I used a socket to push the new seal in. I'll let you know if I was sucessful or not but it will be another month :cry:
If I were doing a rebuild I'd go ahead and change all the seals, this was so minor that it made what would have been a few hours plus a case gasket into a few minute job.
If it were on my bike I probably would have pulled the case and changed both seals.
'nuff said

warrnum, take a look at the exploded view at any of the websites you can buy parts, you will see 2 seals. the weap hole is between them, if you see water then it's your seal closest to the impeller, you may or may not see oil if there is a problem with the oil seal as it could manifest as an air leak leaking into the motor which is a good reason to change both.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

you may or may not see oil if there is a problem with the oil seal as it could manifest as an air leak leaking into the motor
not really, theres no vacuum in the gearbox

its very common for people to install the seal backwards, the concave side facing out/ flat side facing in
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
warrnum

Post by warrnum »

Thanks Kuma for the reply, roostius is going to hook me up with a clymer so I am feeling allot more confident and looking forward to getting my hands dirty and learning a few things
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Clymer sucks.... you want the HONDA manual. Their cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-owned-Honda ... ab&vxp=mtr

$20 w/ free shipping.

Done.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

warrnum wrote:Thanks scooter, seems it sounds ridiculous to you that I dont know, but that is why I asked, after 15 years away from bikes, even back then I paid everyone to do everything. This I wish to change, I wish to learn and that is what I thaught this forum was for. I hadent heard of the clymer manuals but I will certainly look at getting one, America seems to be the only place so far where they are plentful., thankyou for the information. I am concerned about the engine, I have only just put 2 hours on it and only recently fixed a few other issues and I have had the bike a number of months. Thanks again for the starting point.
Not ridiculous at all. Better to ask and learn then try doing something blind and screwing shit up, is the better way. Everybody had to start learning from zero at some point in time.
Sorry if you took offense. Just gave you an answer. Remember this is in print, we aren't chatting, so you can't get the tone of my voice.
Here's another part of your continuing education. If you ever decide to pay someone to do an CR500AF conversion, (suck it AJ) DON'T USE MPS/ George Fanelli IN TOLEDO OHIO USA. THE GUY IS A FUCKEN HACK!!! Class dismissed.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

2strokeforever wrote:
you may or may not see oil if there is a problem with the oil seal as it could manifest as an air leak leaking into the motor
not really, theres no vacuum in the gearbox

its very common for people to install the seal backwards, the concave side facing out/ flat side facing in
you're right, not sure what I was thinking of :bong: :blur: