Jetting Sux!!

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
USMC 500

Jetting Sux!!

Post by USMC 500 »

I have never been a genius when it comes to jetting.....However my bikes always ran decent enough in the different conditions that I rode that jetting was never really a problem for me. 1 size up or down here or there always got things running good. For my first CR500 though I am not so sure. On the plus side I have really learned alot about jetting.

Here is the issue.

Stock PJ carb and I hope to upgrade to a PWK when I get the funds.
Was running the factory 170 main, 55 slow, stock needle in the 4th, stock slide, air screw 1 1/2 turns out.....blah, blah, blah...

I read somewhere here that the CR500 came jetted fat as a pig from the factory.

At my current level of 4000ft the bike ran like complete ass from zero throttle to full throttle. Not to mention that the bike will start on the first kick with the choke off when dead cold. Sounds Fat!!

Per suggestion from Bob (thanks brother) I dropped the main down to a 162 and the slow to a 52.......Top is way better but not where is should be. Bottom still sucks. Mid is ok.

I ordered a DGN needle as a starting point for the mid.

I plan on dropping the slow jet to a 50 now to see if it cleans up the bottom. As I play with the air screw with the 52, the rpms don't rise up at idle until I'm more than 2 turns out.......I'm guessing still rich on the slow jet.

I'll leave the main alone until I clean up my jetting from closed throttle to 1/4 throttle.

When all is said and done I might be as low as the high 40's on the slow and high 150's on the main with a leaner needle. Does this sound right? Is the jetting really that rich from the factory?

The other 2 problems I have.....No matter how many times I set the float height and check all the parts and areas having to do with float height, the bike while idling will sometimes trickle a little fuel out of the overflow :?:
Is this normal? Because if I am overflowing, that could also be the reason I'm rich down low.

Second, when I pull up on the choke it wont stay engaged.....I don't hear the little click when I pull it up. To choke the bike I have to turn the choke knob as if I were raising the idle to full idle. Is this something I can fix or do I need a new choke/idle plunger?

HELP!!!! :shock: :lol:
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

You will be much happier with the DGM/DGN or CGM/CGN needles. The base diameter of the standard needle is made to be able to work in very cold conditions to avoid engine seizure. Factory safety precaution. I have all different needles and at the moment i'm using the DGN at 4th clip at sealevel around 20 degrees Celsius. it's on the limit of being lean, but works fine for street use.

Johnny
B440

Post by B440 »

You should get a new float valve for the carb if it is constantly leaking through the overflow and your float height is set correctly. The vibrations kill them quickly on a 500. I had the same problem.

You need a new choke too if it doesn't click when you pull it up. Have you tried cleaning it yet?
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I think your choke is having issues and you need to check it out and maybe get a new one. I run the PJ jetted right out of the book down to the airscrew adjustment, I pull it out of the truck wherever I am at and run it. People who ride my bike think it runs great, bone stock everything down to the jetting.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

B440 wrote:The vibrations kill them quickly on a 500.
X2

If you pull it out and look at it, you will most likely find a flat spot worn on the side. It causes friction, and failure to work properly.
USMC 500

Post by USMC 500 »

B440 wrote:You should get a new float valve for the carb if it is constantly leaking through the overflow and your float height is set correctly. The vibrations kill them quickly on a 500. I had the same problem.

You need a new choke too if it doesn't click when you pull it up. Have you tried cleaning it yet?

Hey, thanks everyone.......I have cleaned the carb but not the choke assembly.....Is there a specific way to disassemble and clean it?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I say its time for a PWK.

The cost to fix the float needle and choke is prolly' 40% of the price to upgrade.
USMC 500

Post by USMC 500 »

AlisoBob wrote:I say its time for a PWK.

The cost to fix the float needle and choke is prolly' 40% of the price to upgrade.
You might be right on that........It looks like its time for another trip to "Flea Bay"..... :lol:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Whoa!!!!! hold on a minute before you go to the fleabay....I think Bob gets a sweet deal on new PWK's set up and ready to run, get one of those instead of beginning with someone else's headache. We don't want to see the PWK jetting sux thread.......and my free advice will only cost you that P.O.S. PJ carb :lol:
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica
USMC 500

Post by USMC 500 »

Rhino89523 wrote:Whoa!!!!! hold on a minute before you go to the fleabay....I think Bob gets a sweet deal on new PWK's set up and ready to run, get one of those instead of beginning with someone else's headache. We don't want to see the PWK jetting sux thread.......and my free advice will only cost you that P.O.S. PJ carb :lol:
Well don't I feel like the freaking @$$hole for not looking to my fellow Hoons for recources!! Whats the good word Bob?! :wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I already sent you a pm...

Anything for a Jarhead...

:wink: