86 engine... 88 engine?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
_mel_45_

86 engine... 88 engine?

Post by _mel_45_ »

hi all, its been a while since ive been on, been working on an array of stuff including university so some stuff had to take a back seat, never mind the introduction of tearing my ACL in my knee to pieces.

althou i have a 1998 cr500 already, in original frame etc, ive been keeping an eye on the market for another 500 engine, cos im greedy like that lol.

anywho i still have my crf frame to convert and hopefully will be making head with that shortly, my question is thou how far away is an 86 engine from fitting either the original frame or the crf frame?

i know the rear bolt diameter is the issue, and if i were to purchase an 86 engine what would be the likely costs associated with sorting this issue to fit?

also does it require different exhaust etc?
Last edited by _mel_45_ on January 3rd, 2012, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

you have to reroute the hose going between the waterpump and radiator, the intake boot and kicker are different, the reed housing is longer, the magnesium waterpump sucks and the ignition was a 1 year only. I miss my old '86, but if I did it again, I'd go with a newer motor, just far fewer differences to deal with. '89+ saw VERY few changes and most were between '89 and '90. other than slight casting differences, the only changes from '90-'01 is the trans gear ratios and engine color which changed in '93 and '94 respectively.

It can be done with an '86, but its a PITA and after replacing the kicker, side cover, buying a pipe, rerouting the coolant hose, buying a intake boot and boring out the cases, you probably could have just spent the difference to buy an '89+
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

dannygraves wrote:you have to reroute the hose going between the waterpump and radiator, the intake boot and kicker are different, the reed housing is longer, the magnesium waterpump sucks and the ignition was a 1 year only. I miss my old '86, but if I did it again, I'd go with a newer motor, just far fewer differences to deal with. '89+ saw VERY few changes and most were between '89 and '90. other than slight casting differences, the only changes from '90-'01 is the trans gear ratios and engine color which changed in '93 and '94 respectively.

It can be done with an '86, but its a PITA and after replacing the kicker, side cover, buying a pipe, rerouting the coolant hose, buying a intake boot and boring out the cases, you probably could have just spent the difference to buy an '89+
Danny,
you have way too much 500 trivia info, you need to get another :wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

the less problems you have to bog down your progress the faster you get it completed. i say go for the newer stuff
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Danny does have allot of "Been there.... done that" experience....

:cool:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Kuma wrote:
dannygraves wrote:you have to reroute the hose going between the waterpump and radiator, the intake boot and kicker are different, the reed housing is longer, the magnesium waterpump sucks and the ignition was a 1 year only. I miss my old '86, but if I did it again, I'd go with a newer motor, just far fewer differences to deal with. '89+ saw VERY few changes and most were between '89 and '90. other than slight casting differences, the only changes from '90-'01 is the trans gear ratios and engine color which changed in '93 and '94 respectively.

Danny,
you have way too much 500 trivia info, you need to get another :wink:
My wife made a similar comment last weekend while were were out at dumont. I spotted a gen-3 at comp and wanted to talk to the guy. She asked when the garage was going to be full of 500s again...
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

AlisoBob wrote:Danny does have allot of "Been there.... done that" experience....

:cool:
Guess I just have to build a gen-5 or a kx500af next :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

"Dual" CR500 powered RZR.....
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:shock: :twisted:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

one of these in a rzr would be the way to go, 162 hp stock, 180 with a few bolt ons
and nothing sounds better than a tripple
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shu8htDQ ... re=related[/youtube]
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

dannygraves wrote: Guess I just have to build a gen-5 or a kx500af...

Its only a matter of time.... :D
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

You have a sweet doner frame for the KX conversion :lol:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

LOL, na, she still runs great, but I have a friend who had has a '06 kx450f in peices for a long time sitting in his garage. He broke a case half when he wrecked and dropped it off at ride now powersports where they left it in peices for months until he picket it up to find someone was taking parts off it. Sucks for him especially since he still owes on it, but I might grab that and start looking for a kx5 donor :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

guess il have to avoid been greedy then and just do it with the 98 engine. was going to try and spoil myself with 2 500s
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

:roll: Don't be scared!!! Love my 86 motor..

NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

dont want to bite off more than i can chew, especially since i have no engineering skills lol
_mel_45_

Post by _mel_45_ »

altered the thread title as I have came across an 88 engine that if things go well I will purchase, providing price is right of course.

I would be thinking of fitting this engine to the steelie (98) if it is possible. DOes it follow the same rules of the 86 engine?

I noticed in Paul's pics that he seems to not have any issues with the pipe to water pump and clearance of the exhaust?

the engine is advertised with carb and electrics, so was hopeing it would all fit together with no or little work.

whats the oppinnion of the guys in the know, worth a punt??

ps, sorry for torturing you guys with all these questions, but rather ask and find all out than take action ask questions later
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

The only issue I had putting an '85 engine in my '88 frame was having to slightly elongate the holes in the head stay. The '88 model PC pipe fits. I didn't have any problem using the '88 carburetor boot on the older engine.
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
mxer_nz

Post by mxer_nz »

what year did the rear engine mount bolt hole change, i have an 89 engine lined up for a gen 4 conversion, will i need to bore it out ?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

no, 89-01 is the right size