04' Soon to be AF?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
kelroy_leon

04' Soon to be AF?

Post by kelroy_leon »

Well, it has happened. The oul pump on mr 04' crf 450 has locked up. I bought the bike to make it an AF.Was told that it wouldnt run, tinkered with it and it has been trouble free for over a year and a half. I am just wondering of any issues with the 04' crf that I need to look for? Anything people would change on their conversions? I have the option of a few different engines and pipe combos. Any info will be appreciated, I am going to pull the 450 out today and see how bad it is. Thank you.
OLD: You don't know what the f--k you're doing.
PREFERRED: I think you could use more training.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

pwk, gnarly, fmf silencer
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Why the FMF silencer?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

because it lasts :lol:
ZETTNORCAL

Post by ZETTNORCAL »

Did you ever get that 250x that I traded with you running? I got that AR15 built and also just did a AR10 from a 80% incomplete lower reciever.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Funny you should ask. I just finished my 04 tonight. What would I change? Hmmmmm. Well, I guess the first thing I'd change would be I would NOT give my frame conversion job to that stupid, arrogant, cobbling JACK-OFF George Fanelli in Toledo Ohio who runs MPS. (Where do you live?) Next, I would discover bannedCR500riders.com FIRST, instead of AFTER having Fanelli fuck up my frame. Thank you God, you obviously hate me. Right back 'atcha, big guy! I would also do a full rail replacement, instead of sectioning and splicing in extensions. Only seen pictures, but it looks WAAAAY more professional and O.E.M. done that way.
I've always said if you do a job, do it the right way, the first time. Thanks Dad. Only took me the FIRST 30 years of my life to realise he knew what the fuck he was talking about. So technically, I've only said that 20 years. I digress.
Have access to a lathe, to machine up all the little spacers and knick-knacks (patty whack, give the dog a bone. Anyone remember THAT one?)
that you will need to make. That ate up a lot of my time, the nickel and dime shit. Pipe mounts, silencer mounts etc:
Weld the motor mounts in properly, not use engine cases as a jig, tack up the mounts, and then yank cases and weld the motherfucker up. That was the source of another 10 hours or so by a friend who welds and fabricates, fixing up Fanellis clusterfuck. Oy fuckin' Vey. Use a damn jig, like what Mik 329 was selling. This will prevent shrinkage. (She knows about shrinkage, right Jerry?) Thank you Paul Stoffers, you nailed it.
The airboot adapter isn't that bad, don't procrastinate and put it off. Cough, cough. DO use Lexan, not aroomeeum plate. Thank you Bob. I'm just stubborn. Or stupid. Or too lazy to go lookin' for Lexan. Take your pick. 3 mil aroomeeum plate was a 10 minute drive away, and I spent a DAY doing my airbox conversion. Pure fuckin' genius.
Don't take your bike to ANOTHER weld/machine shop and leave it there for a headstay to be made up and be promised delivery in a week and a half. And leave it there 5 full weeks and go get it mad, not done. I must have done something right, because they haven't found the guys body yet, or at the very least, don't know it was me. Don't be afraid to tackle that yourself, even if it means making one out of steel. Steel I can weld. I built mine off the 4-stroke tabs on the main frame spars. It's temporary, my buddy will build a real, pretty, aluminum one this winter. He's moose hunting right now, and I'm riding this son-of-a-BITCH before winter. As in tomorrow.
Last, dont skimp. Buy mounts from Paul Stoffers if thats an option for an 04, or have some machined, or get some plasma cut. It just adds to the "finished" look of the bike. I want to be proud of my ride when people look at it, not walk away shakin' their heads sayin' "Who the hell made THAT piece of shit?" Well, George Fanelli in part, but some of the atrocity is my fault.
Have I mentioned George Fanelli is a complete DOUCHEBAG?!?! Have I touched on that? Okay, just checking.
I ran a Gnarly AF pipe on my steely because I bought it to do my conversion and didn't do it right away. Love it, but be prepared to gear it up. It doesn't rev NEAR as high as the stocker, but I love that mid-range explosion. Trying a 14/50 combo tomorrow, see if it's enough. Use to 13/50 on the stock pipe, but one track has a 7th gear straightaway, see if I have enough top-end now.
keysey

Post by keysey »

scooter5002 wrote: I guess the first thing I'd change would be I would NOT give my frame conversion job to that stupid, arrogant, cobbling JACK-OFF George Fanelli in Toledo Ohio who runs MPS.
I hear ya. Wish I had read up on this lying prick before I bought a roller of him. What a shit fight it has been.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

keysey wrote:
scooter5002 wrote: I guess the first thing I'd change would be I would NOT give my frame conversion job to that stupid, arrogant, cobbling JACK-OFF George Fanelli in Toledo Ohio who runs MPS.
I hear ya. Wish I had read up on this lying prick before I bought a roller of him. What a shit fight it has been.
Aw geez, did you get fucked too?! Son of a BITCH, that guys an asshole. I fuckin' TRASH that cocksucker every chance I get on VitalMX, long and loud. You fuck me, and I will do everything in my power to ensure you lose business and and everyone knows about it.
Let me know if you need some tips straightening your nightmare out. Just finished it on Tuesday morning. Compensating for his stupidity cost me a lot of hours, but it's done and rideable. Hardly vibrates, I shimmed all the motor mounts tight because they had to be ground off so bad from frame shift while cooling down after the welding. Brutal.
Where do you live keysey?
desertrage

Post by desertrage »

Thanks for the First hand experience with MPS. I was seriously considering sending my frame to George before I found this site.

Since then I have been paying close attention to Paul's builds. They're damn nice. I just have to figure out a way to afford the kind of quality.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Glad I could be of service. That is my aim, to make sure I screw him out of as much business as possible, and prevent him from fuckin' people. Paul does good work, that's quite obvious. Met him last spring, great guy! Pretty sure when he says you will get your job, done right, by a certain date, you will. PM him and try and work something out.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

desertrage wrote: I just have to figure out a way to afford the kind of quality.
Pauls the best...... send him $100 a week. He'll tell you when you've sent him enough....

:wink:
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

There are several reputible builders on here,

Paul stoffers
Solid Bro
Mxdogger

There are lots of pictures and review of their builds.

Honestly, if someone wont show and share detailed pictures of their work, well personally I wouldn't think they are proud of it themselves.
desertrage

Post by desertrage »

scooter5002 wrote:That is my aim, to make sure I screw him out of as much business as possible, and prevent him from fuckin' people.
I don't see it as you screwing him, more like exposing his shitty work. And for that I appreciate it! I looked at quite a few bikes to find one that hasn't been thrashed in the rocks. I ride in the desert and dunes, so this bike is going to stay nice. I would have went nuts if I sent it off, paid good coin and then got back a hack job.

Thanks guys, for the other builders names.
desertrage

Post by desertrage »

Gmbond wrote:Honestly, if someone wont show and share detailed pictures of their work, well personally I wouldn't think they are proud of it themselves.
Good point! And also something that bothered me about the MPS site. Any bikes going to look good from ten feet with new plastic on it..... I want to see the details!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Sounds like your describing S/H.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Zing! Hey, AJ, WHO'S yer' daddy?! That's right, AlisoBob.
keysey

Post by keysey »

Hey scooter, sounds like george made a meal of yours if you had to rework it. I must have got a bit lucky as my motor bolted up ok. The welds are shit but huge so it shouldn't break in half. Small stuff like not using radius'd tubing is pretty poor too. I have powdercoated mine so it looks alot better. I mostly got reemed with shipping costs, big delays and lies. Hope you get yours sorted
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

It was an absolute nightmare. If memory serves, the motor wouldn't drop down in between the motor mounts, and the motor was out of square to the frame by half the width of the swingarm pivot. I'm not a fabricator, but I knew that he just didn't have a clue about doing this properly after seeing his work. As in knew less than I did. I visited with Paul Stoffers in Cali last spring, after I delivered a load of alcohol in Modesto. Hey, YO, Paulie!!
We discussed my frame and he nailed it. Asked me if Fuckhead used empty engine cases as a jig, then tacked everything, pulled the cases, and welded. Yup! Well, guess what? Holy Warp City, Batman! Sucked the frame right in when it cooled. If that dumbass had a clue, he would do the job right to begin with, it's his damn BUSINESS! Maybe he should at least LURK here and learn. Certainly joining wouldn't be wise. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
So a lot of fixing by a buddy of mine and it was right. At least getting the motor to fit. After reading here a lot, I did even more to it before firing it up. Huge gaps in between the motor and the mounts, shimmed those all tight. Bike has no more vibes than my steelie. The little things you learn here are invaluable. Thanks, Hoons.
desertrage

Post by desertrage »

Jesus Christ... Scooter. I'm glad you got it corrected. That is way worse than what I thought! Again, thank you for sharing your experience with MPS. Now I'm more concerned than ever about having mine setup right. I mean WTF, is it really too much to expect someone to take pride in their work.

Mine will definitly go to one of the guys on here, they care about their work and it shows!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

scooter5002 wrote:... I did even more to it before firing it up. Huge gaps in between the motor and the mounts, shimmed those all tight. Bike has no more vibes than my steelie. The little things you learn here are invaluable. Thanks, Hoons.
:wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

desertrage wrote:Mine will definitly go to one of the guys on here, they care about their work and it shows!
Paulie is just a phone call away.
keysey

Post by keysey »

Heres a pic of my 08 CRF250 finished. It finally seems the headaches have been worth it!

scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

:cool: Saaa........WEEEEEEET!! :cool:
Nicely done sir. That's a beauty piece right there.
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I'm not a fan of black plastic but that looks bitchin. Gonna take some work to keep her clean though....
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

keysey wrote:Heres a pic of my 08 CRF250 finished. It finally seems the headaches have been worth it!

I am a fan of black plastic, that looks great, may be tough keeping it that way :cry:
That should be a motard :wink: