Only a fool would try to start a CR500 wearing "sneaker

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
dogger315

Only a fool would try to start a CR500 wearing "sneaker

Post by dogger315 »

I got complacent after I got the jetting sorted out and my bike
got a whole lot easier to start, so I went to kick it over without
changing shoes. Here's the results. The lever went right through
the bottom of the shoe and left me a nice Black and Blue souvenir. :shock:
I guess I can check that bit of stupidity off my "bucket" list.

dogger
Last edited by dogger315 on November 7th, 2011, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Ouchie! Actually I learned that 30 years ago when I was kicking my 79 YZ 400 in my boots and my foot slipped off, went forward and the lever kicked me in the calf on the way back up. That ended any thoughts of riding THAT day since it was the first kick of the day. As I recall, I'm told I had anger issues back in the day, Or so some people thought. In hindsight, they're probably right. If memory serves, had I been able to even WALK, I would've sledge-hammered that motherfucker right into the ground. Key phrase being "BEEN ABLE".
Never forgot that. I always throw the right boot on to start the big 5. ALWAYS!
I feel your pain, brother.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Ouch is right!

Man, I don't kick anything bigger than a 125 without my boots.
It just hurts too much if there's a fail.

Hey, here's a good one.
I was priming mine when I first got it with several very slow kick throughs looking for TDC.
I got to the last little bit very slowly and it fired up unexpectedly.
If you go on youtube enough you'll see dumbasses priming it and looking for TDC using their hand.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

mine fires right up in tennis shoes, without using the decomp
the trick is to get it spinning fast enough before the comp stroke and "let off" thru the comp stroke
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I started my 91 steelie in running shoes on the weekend, no drama, but the foot was sore today! I've gotten spoiled by the decomps on the AFs. But it was also stupid to not at least use a work boot let alone a tech8!!
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I start mine all the time in tennis shoes. As long as I get a good kick in, it doesnt bother me at all. however, if my foot stops dead on the compression, it gets sore quick.

my 250 starts so easily, I could do it in sandals. Trick to starting anything is to learn her tricks.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

When I was about 16 I owned an XT550. It would do these big compression kickbacks every once in a while. My parents are not motorcycle people but had sort of gotten used to me riding one but with rules. Rules are meant to be broken so I was sneaking the bike out at about 1am. Pushed it down the driveway and way down the street. Kicked it and it had one of those lockouts with my foot slipping off. It ripped a huge hole in my leg through my jeans. 150 something stitches later I was fixed. I have never kicked a bike to life (other than my kids 50 or 80's little stuff) without wearing a boot since.
britincali

Post by britincali »

A kickback from a YZ490 tought me that lesson years ago....
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dogger315

Post by dogger315 »

After reading some of these post, I got off easy.

The cylinder head has been shaved and there is no
compression release. I ride a half dozen different
bikes and I'm too lazy to learn the idiosyncrasies
of all of them, so I will be wearing at least a work
boot from now on. Better safe than sorry.

dogger
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

You know, of all the bikes I have and have ridden in the last couple of years, the only one to kick back really bad is my 1974 TY250 for some reason. I don't know if maybe the timing is off a little maybe but it runs great and starts up easy enough. But it still kicks back really bad.
I hopped on a friends Husky 400 back in the day and it kicked me good, that's the only other bike that ever kicked back enough to remember.
Turns out the timing was off on it and it started in reverse.
Ever see a bike throw a roost at the front tire?
That was a real nutcracker if you've ever seen the old Husky tanks. :lol:
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

This Sunday starting the AF in the rain, boot slide off the side. Monday couldn't figure out why my arch was sore on the inside. Now I know.
other

Post by other »

I had a 490 Maico turn the arch of my foot from concave, to black-n-blue convex, and my old Montesa Cota was prone to backfire through the kicker too (never had a good one from a CR5, tho I know people who have). In my experience, it seemed to be 2 strokes without reed valves that were worst for this trait . . . . . Older and wiser, I keep an old fucked out MX boot in the shed, so even if I'm too lazy to go to my gear bag, I always have a boot near the bike. Who needs the pain !
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

our old 85 kicked like a mule and still destroyed boots we sold it for that reason now im kicking myself a 250 igition would have fixed that no worries
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Here is my little gift to remind me not to kick a bike with no boots, it's the L shaped one the other one is an exhaust burn up the side from a high piped 81 CR250 more childhood lessons. It's a 25 year old scar now and has faded a lot over the years but at the time was bad enough to need a bunch of stitches and put me at the front of the emergency room line in the Bay Area. It was laid open like something exploded in there.

lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

nice one :cool:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

If you learn the ropes of how to start a bike before doing it improperly and failing, you will never get hurt (unless you are drunk or just plain SILLY). It's comments like this that made me post my video. I now have the art of hand kicking down on my 03 YZ 250, fires first punch, EVERY TIME! If you think I'm a bullshitter I'll have to make a video of that too! Don't quite have the Popeye punch to do the 500 though! :lol: http://www.youtube.com/user/jbsleddin?feature=mhee

I EDITED THIS SO I DON'T HURT ANYBODY'S FEELINGS! :lol:
Last edited by jbsleddin on November 12th, 2011, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh, and I will cry.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

That is a nice clean lookin '85 :cool:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Guess I'm just drunk and dumb.....I'm going to throw all my bikes in the trash now as I'm obviously not worthy of riding them. Maybe you should come by and pick them up. They will be a lot of work to turn into a beautiful garage queen because I ride the piss out of them. They actually are not all stock so you would have some work finding all the proper bits because I keep smashing the shit out of my frames but when it was complete you could have a 1992 CR500, a 1981 IT465 and a 2005 XR650 all lined up in your garage looking perfect. You could then go out and start them in your slippers and make movies of you riding them around your lawn with no helmet :roll:
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

Rhino89523 wrote:Guess I'm just drunk and dumb.....I'm going to throw all my bikes in the trash now as I'm obviously not worthy of riding them. Maybe you should come by and pick them up. They will be a lot of work to turn into a beautiful garage queen because I ride the piss out of them. They actually are not all stock so you would have some work finding all the proper bits because I keep smashing the shit out of my frames but when it was complete you could have a 1992 CR500, a 1981 IT465 and a 2005 XR650 all lined up in your garage looking perfect. You could then go out and start them in your slippers and make movies of you riding them around your lawn with no helmet :roll:

Thats some funny shit right there. I would rather wear a boot then find TDC with my hand
Kevin
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Rhino89523 wrote:Guess I'm just drunk and dumb.....I'm going to throw all my bikes in the trash now as I'm obviously not worthy of riding them. Maybe you should come by and pick them up. They will be a lot of work to turn into a beautiful garage queen because I ride the piss out of them. They actually are not all stock so you would have some work finding all the proper bits because I keep smashing the shit out of my frames but when it was complete you could have a 1992 CR500, a 1981 IT465 and a 2005 XR650 all lined up in your garage looking perfect. You could then go out and start them in your slippers and make movies of you riding them around your lawn with no helmet :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew someone would get a burr up their ass over this, that's why I posted it. :roll: Nobody said anything about riding around the yard without helmets on, that's just fucking stupid! I always ride safely, and you can bet your ass that GARAGE QUEEN gets her ass raped on a regular basis. :D The video was intended to be a type of "smart-ass" instructional video, teaching pussies how to start a CR 500, as I had a hell of a time on my first day, putting holes in my steel shank work boots and swearing up a storm. Trust me, my foot was FUCKED and I couldn't walk for a week! That's the idea behind this video, with the proper technique, it's simple. If I offended anybody in the process, I'm sorry, but grow a pair and quit whining about it! :P
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

freeride588 wrote: Thats some funny shit right there. I would rather wear a boot then find TDC with my hand
Epic tune by an epic band. "Ya gotta believe me!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8m4V_cdOSo
jbsleddin
PVT. 1st Class

Post by jbsleddin »

Tharrell wrote:Ouch is right!

Man, I don't kick anything bigger than a 125 without my boots.
It just hurts too much if there's a fail.

Hey, here's a good one.
I was priming mine when I first got it with several very slow kick throughs looking for TDC.
I got to the last little bit very slowly and it fired up unexpectedly.
If you go on youtube enough you'll see dumbasses priming it and looking for TDC using their hand.
Yeah, you might see me on there. Mine doesn't fire "unexpectedly" with a stock ignition, though. You have to WANT to start it!
freeride588

Post by freeride588 »

jbsleddin wrote:
freeride588 wrote: Thats some funny shit right there. I would rather wear a boot then find TDC with my hand
Epic tune by an epic band. "Ya gotta believe me!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8m4V_cdOSo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice
Kevin
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

jbsleddin wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I knew someone would get a burr up their ass over this, that's why I posted it. :roll: Nobody said anything about riding around the yard without helmets on, that's just fucking stupid! I always ride safely, and you can bet your ass that GARAGE QUEEN gets her ass raped on a regular basis. :D The video was intended to be a type of "smart-ass" instructional video, teaching pussies how to start a CR 500, as I had a hell of a time on my first day, putting holes in my steel shank work boots and swearing up a storm. Trust me, my foot was FUCKED and I couldn't walk for a week! That's the idea behind this video, with the proper technique, it's simple. If I offended anybody in the process, I'm sorry, but grow a pair and quit whining about it! :P

Thats not you riding the yz465 around the lawn with no helmet? My Bad. Really not butt hurt but when you call someone drunk or just plain dumb expect a little bit of the same in return. O.K. back to polishing my skid plate :roll:
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Rhino89523 wrote: O.K. back to polishing my skid plate :roll:
Is that what you calll it when you're over on the "too much ass" thread :rotfl: