because im POOR, thats why....

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
thefatguy

because im POOR, thats why....

Post by thefatguy »

ok, i would LOVE to get my 95 cylinder 'professionally ported', but i just dont have the $$$...i mean, trying to keep all 3 bikes (85 and 95 cr500's, and a 91 kx500) running, plus the vette, plus the v8 vega, plus the tow business, plus feeding 2 kids...ahhhh, you guys all know the drill, i bet lots of you are just like me--beating sh*t between 2 rocks to make it work ! so i am going to attempt (shudder/gag) to port my own cylinder--i think i read somewheres to raise the exhaust ports 4mm and the intakes 2mm...anyone got any advice for the newguy ? i dont want to destroy my only cylinder, if its a loaded grenade maybe i will just leave it alone. whacha guys think ? thanks....
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

ive heard the only thing you can do without risking screwing it up is to enlarge the "boost ports"
after looking at my cylinder that roosty did im glad i didnt try to DIY it, theres angles port heights...... theres no way youd be lucky enough to get it right first try
quite a few people believe that raising the peak power isnt really worth it, harder to ride, less reliable.......
i wanted the cr85 powerband on my 500, im glad i didnt do it
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
thefatguy

Post by thefatguy »

im not really looking for the cr85 powerband--what the bike has now on the bottom and mid is fine, i just want more shriek up top . (it now has a twinair filter, 41mm carb, v-force 3,procircuit pipe,fmf "Q" silencer,14-49 sprockets,roostboost ignition coil)...it seems to 'run out of breath' rather quickly ( although it is a LOT better than stock with whats on it now ) and is just begging for another 1000 or so rpm to really crank out the horses...i know, i know, you cant have your cake and eat it too, right ? : bling :...
Slomo

Post by Slomo »

You obviously have gained enough skill to outride a stock CR500?
I haven't. My ST bike has stock porting with a Roosty head/decomp and it still scares the shit out of me.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

what tools you got to work with ?
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Check into Flotek performance. http://flotekperformance.com/.

Never heard anything bad from his customers, and he's had a LOT. Well known guy in the 2-stroke community. I've had a cylinder ported by him, and would again.

Check out his site. And his prices are very agreeable too.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Leave it alone...my .02
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Rhino89523 wrote:Leave it alone...my .02
I definitely wouldnt do it myself unless it was a spare cylinder. to hack up your only cylinder without knowing what you are doing....well.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

we dont know his engine background or what tools he has. need more info. sheeet nikka you guys think im a pro in black magic porting or somethin ? pretty sure mine was atleast good as glens :lol: :lol:. ok maybe it aint that good but its better than stock :oops:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

bob maybe all that complaining you did about the stuck piston didnt go on deaf ears. says theres new specs for the trail port :lol: . and roostious got new competition. website claims best porting you can get anywhere in the world :lol:

read on mofos. this aint no bullshit http://www.gssraceporting.bravehost.com/
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

poor????? :shock:
That conjures up images of West Virginia, Appalachia.

You may be broke, that's different.

Poor is a state of mind.
Broke is a temporary condition.
thefatguy

Post by thefatguy »

dude, im so poor i cant even pay attention half the time....hah hah. as for the rest of the comments, lets see--no, i cant outride a cr500--i am not jeremy mcgrath, though i try my best to be.( i was good enough as a kid to be sponsored by a local shop for 4 years, and gave them 3 county championships--till i got to be over 6ft and 250lbs + and started breaking the bikes everytime i rode them....) i just like having way more power than i need-the unexpected wheelies keep you on your toes! as for tools, just the 'norm' like most of you probably do--dremel, drill, carbide bits,etc...as i said, i was just looking for a little more shriek up top. maybe i will just be happy with what i got...
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

your effort will be better spent on jetting, silencer repacking and reeds, and a clean air filter
fresh silencer packing adds quite a bit to the overrev on a 500..... weird cause on a 80/ 125/ 250 its adds lots on the bottom
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

2strokeforever wrote:your effort will be better spent on jetting, silencer repacking and reeds...
and boingers....
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I spent a rediculous amount of time researching porting a cr500 and had very long detailed conversasions with experts on the tipic and utililzed photos of the well known porting work and when I was finished I wished I hadn't touched it. The powerjet Mikuni 41mm TM and more importantly cr250 CDI gave me far more gains than the porting work. If you are dead set, don't mess with the port timing, open up the intake boost ports until your thumb will fit through (quote from DeWayne) and widen the exhaust doing those 2 make a good increase without turning it into a jetting nightmare. Me personally if I got another cr500 would leave it BONE STOCK with the exception of a PWK and just ride the piss out of it.
My old gen-1 was a really fast bike (when it got traction or I stayed on it) and I would spend an entire day trying to get my jetting right just to get spanked by a 450 that could actually get tracton.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

roostys porting is great, but not cheap
4stroke=dead fish
thefatguy

Post by thefatguy »

d.graves---thank you--thats exactly what i was looking for--someone who tried it and figured out the mistakes so i dont have to make it. thanks again, i already got the 41pwk so i guess the cr250cdi is next...any mods to put it in, or is it a drop in ? thanks again !
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

danny what year 250 cdi were you running?
the 1999 is pretty mellow
4stroke=dead fish
ChumlyRocksa540

Post by ChumlyRocksa540 »

You might want to look into a program to build your own pipe you can build some pretty radical stuff with them but the you'll have a down pipe I think they have some in frame deals but I would think alot more complicated and difficult to build and get right
I like to party
ChumlyRocksa540

I know this is talking street bikes but it'll get you in the right direction for getting that extra 1000rpm too http://www.froggy.se/skalmanmc/rd350/tuning/expan1.htm
I like to party
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sounds like you already you knew you couldnt do your own porting but you wanted to hear 10 people say it also just to confirm what you already knew :lol:

chumly you think we can just make a pipe on the kitchen table ????? :roll: :roll:
thefatguy

Post by thefatguy »

100hp--no, i didnt know whether i could do my own porting CORRECTLY....and i wanted to see what the general thoughts along those lines were.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

im not sure there is a correct way to do it. ask 10 professionals and you likely get several different answers what works best.
ChumlyRocksa540

It's not hard if you make your measurements perfect then it's just welding
I like to party
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

ChumlyRocksa540 wrote:It's not hard if you make your measurements perfect then it's just welding
shit that easy
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee