Cleaning expansion chambers

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Gravel Scratcher

Cleaning expansion chambers

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Whats the best way to clean all that funky crap on the inside of the expansion chamber ?
I seem to remember "the Stuz" did a how to on here but after his departure i think his posts were removed.

cheers
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

He's still around.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

I would try Zep industrial Purple. it is a degreaser, and the shit is nasty. works great but dont breathe in the vapors if you spray it and dont get it onto cuts.....

get some in there, seal the ends of the pipe. rotate the pipe every 20 minutes, drain the pipe and spray a pressure washer into the pipe, then rinse it out good. If that cleaner doesnt knock it loose, well...lets just say i think it will work.

Another thing: DONT get it on raw aluminum. it will turn it black, and not a good black.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

If not plated you can use an oxy acetelene torch,
I awayas used a cutting torch, get a nice flame get point it into the headpipe and when it starts to burn, you can turn off the acetelene and hit the oxy, that will keep it burning and keep you amused for a while too. makes some cool noises :wink:

I imagine a hot tank would work good too
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

Plug the silencer end, a potato works well, put some "drain cleaning crystals" in let it sit overnight then wash it out.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Jet it right.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

:spank: ......ouch
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
quicfix500

Post by quicfix500 »

I dont have a torch so i use a big ass propane weed burner and it works perfect! burn it out from both ends but not at the same time because DAMN!
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

Kuma wrote:If not plated you can use an oxy acetelene torch,
I awayas used a cutting torch, get a nice flame get point it into the headpipe and when it starts to burn, you can turn off the acetelene and hit the oxy, that will keep it burning and keep you amused for a while too. makes some cool noises :wink:

I imagine a hot tank would work good too
I did that last night to a crusty old pipe. I heated the exterior with a rose bud, it Looked like a diesel locomotive starting on a cold day, bellows of smoke, when I got it good and hot I turned oxy only in the inlet, then it was like a jet engine. The whole pipe turned cherry red. clean as a whistle.
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

i like the weed burning idea best of all sounds like my kind of project
no wing no prayer
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Jet it right.
it helps, but if your riding first gear all day its gonna build up no matter how lean your jetted, mine gets it and if anything its too lean, surges quite a bit at low throttle

once i open it up for a bit it burns quite a bit out
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

I plugged one end and filled it with an acid water mix. it worked ok but mine has some real baked on stuff from the last owner. I was thinking bbq-ing the pipe to heat it really well then hitting it with a wooden dowel to try and knock all the hard carbon chips off. I have had a piece of chain inside it swishing it arround with some oven cleaner too. I think by the time i add up all the chemicals i have tried, i would have been better to just get a new pipe.
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

Ok so for the baked on carbon, i havn't found a chemical that works well. I got some steel wire from the hardware store. I think it's 3/16 in. I used 2 feet of it and attached one end to my power drill and put the other end in side. I started spinning the wire and it is taking off all of the carbon build up. I think if you can sand blast it, that would work too, but i don't have that. the wire works great. just go at if for a while and empty the pipe of all the crap in there. It comes out in powder and little pieces. great way of cleaning out the hard build up.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

bgraley wrote:Ok so for the baked on carbon, i havn't found a chemical that works well. I got some steel wire from the hardware store. I think it's 3/16 in. I used 2 feet of it and attached one end to my power drill and put the other end in side. I started spinning the wire and it is taking off all of the carbon build up. I think if you can sand blast it, that would work too, but i don't have that. the wire works great. just go at if for a while and empty the pipe of all the crap in there. It comes out in powder and little pieces. great way of cleaning out the hard build up.
ya I was thinking of suggesting a plumbing snake - or equivalent.