Porting tools/techniques

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Pony

Porting tools/techniques

Post by Pony »

Did a search and came up with some info but was looking for a little bit deeper detail.

I have been polishing up and removing some casting flaws from the valve cover for my 750 im workin on. I noticed even with a fairly steady hand I was having a hard time taking an even amount of material off. For what I was doing it was nothing a little paper couldnt smooth out but it concerned me because if I were attempting to do some porting or other delicate work I could very easily do more damage than good.

I have never ported/polished a cylinder or head and I plan on giving it a shot on my current 500 build. I am not expecting to be able to match anything a pro can do but I would take a lot of satifaction in learning the craft and making my motor work better than stock for my application. Any work I do I want to be smooth and flow good. Plus with the cylinder swap there might be some small matching I could untertake myself.

What kind of tool should I use if I wanted to take on some novice porting? I was using a single speed dremel with a #117 cutting bit. Any techniques as far as how to work the metal that ya'll would be willing to share? not trade secrets or anything just general info. When you need to add material do you jus tig weld the area to add metal and then work that down?
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

If you have to add material you allready messed up if talking about filling in a port depending? You can use a epoxy

I use a snap-on +5 air die grinder with a double cut "flame" bur +6"s to start,at a low control speed

It's all about taking your time and keeping the ports symmetrical i remove most all my material with the bur then finish with sand rolls

The extra length of my grinder makes it very easy to see what your doing harbor freight sells a cheap long grinder and you can get a port& polish kit from summit

I would find a old junk aluminum cyl head to practice on that way you can't hurt anything????
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

unless ur getting it gas flowed u are completely guessing .
on ur 750 i take it ur talking 4T , and tuned heads have the inlets built up and made smaller to create velocity in the gas flow , of course depending on what u want to achieve .
Pony

Post by Pony »

Yea, the the 750 is 4T. It was just on the valve cover, I was just playing around with my grinder. I polished it up really pretty and th casting marks just looked ugly. It was purley asthetic.

And as far as adding material, I just figure you might if you were changing the shapes of the port. I didnt know if maybe you would wanna add material in some circumstances for certain power characteristics? Is this what you're refering to using epoxy for? If if you messed up and took it too far?

I think I have an old 125 cylinder laying around I might play around with. Like I said I do not know anything about porting, and just looking for more information before I get started. Would hat to get into the midle of it and find out a could be getting way better results with different equipment ect. Thanks for ya'lls input!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

getting your own tools and doing it yourself will be the best investment youll ever make gauranteed. and the satisfaction of doing the work yourself wiill be a feeling like no other. if you look on ebay theres usually some killer deals. this setup right here for example. the artco right angle hand piece alone is $460 new. type in "foredom" or "foredom flexible shaft" and alot of shit pops up. http://cgi.ebay.com/FOREDOM-FLEXIBLE-SH ... 2561d0034d

i have various air powered tools but ive never used them for porting. i hate the sound of aircompressors so i went with electric. everyone has their own preference. electric stuff runs wisper quit and has a foot control like a car gas pedal so you can grind at 500rpm or all the way to 18,000rpm. not sure how much money your willing to spend but theres various combinations of motors and handpieces. i think the motor reverse feature is golden but i dont believe alot of the older motors wont run in reverse. CC tools has a right angle handpiece that you can put the bit in the opposite end so you can still cut backwards while the motor is running forward and its only $340. tons of options. if you looking for electric i would check ebay and find a good deal on some used stuff. if you want to do complete porting of the whole cylinder you will need the right angle hand piece. you can get the straight handpiece for right now and still do alot of stuff with it and then get a right angle piece later down the road after you get the hang of things.

this is the setup i been using. gonna pick up a few more carbides and sanding bits soon as i decide which ones i need.

mr500

Post by mr500 »

Hi mate..I'v had a tooth ache for a while now..How much do you charge for fillings and maybe a polish too? :D
Keep it real, Keep it steel.
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

100hp honda wrote:getting the satisfaction of doing the work yourself wiill be a feeling like no other.

Getting the satisfaction of doing It yourself Is a good feeling but only if it's done wright and looks good when your finished with it and talking about looks Clyde why don't you show some pics of your porting so he can see what your talking about????

Knowing you ! You must have some pics already somewhere of your work ready to post!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
Pony

Post by Pony »

Hell ya! thats a pro setup right there. Post up some pics of your work! I know some of ya'll are kind of secrective about some stuff but you dont have to reveal any of that. I just like the simple clean stuff that will make the motor function the way it was designed.

Some stuff I have already taken from this bored is how important bike setup is. In a thread Bob posted about doing his topend, his exhaust port is a mirror finish after like 4 years! I know that even if I had really bitchin porting on my 250 it would build up enough bullshit to make my efforts wasted. I can jet a bike to make it run, but not like some of you guys do. That is something I have been messing with at the ramps here lately. When I do learn some basic porting techniques I want the rest of my engine running properly so I am getting the most of it.

Also simple stuff sticks out like Roosty porting the carb boot after the carb gets punched out. I would not have thought of that, but that is total common sense. Your going to have this bad ass carb only to have the intake boot choke it off before it enter your motor? Pointless.

I have been reading Jennings 2 stroke tunners book, and another similiar book I found online (forgot the author). There is so much that goes into this stuff and I am trying to take in as much theory and principle in before I try to improve my machine, but is there an more literature I should look up? Are these books the best as far as learning how to improve my motor?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Clyde, what I.D. is that gardenhose flowbench you use?
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:Clyde, what I.D. is that gardenhose flowbench you use?
:D
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Someone needs to find that photo!!!!

Professional porters gain about 10% power....

65 hp stock to 72 hp.

Home made porting could go anywhere from -15% to + 5 %

Thats a lot of money spend for little results.

I'd spend my money on suspension work, or a Gym membership.

I dont need to feel the "satisfaction" as Clyde puts it.... I need to go faster.

Home made porting may not be the path to go down on your 500 if its your first attempt.

Clyde needs to feel the satisfaction of competing in a hillclimb, and showing us all his theorys, porting, and tuning prowess in action.... and not on this site just web-riding
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Pony wrote:Hell ya! thats a pro setup right there. Post up some pics of your work! I know some of ya'll are kind of secrective about some stuff but you dont have to reveal any of that. I just like the simple clean stuff that will make the motor function the way it was designed.

Some stuff I have already taken from this bored is how important bike setup is. In a thread Bob posted about doing his topend, his exhaust port is a mirror finish after like 4 years! I know that even if I had really bitchin porting on my 250 it would build up enough bullshit to make my efforts wasted. I can jet a bike to make it run, but not like some of you guys do. That is something I have been messing with at the ramps here lately. When I do learn some basic porting techniques I want the rest of my engine running properly so I am getting the most of it.

Also simple stuff sticks out like Roosty porting the carb boot after the carb gets punched out. I would not have thought of that, but that is total common sense. Your going to have this bad ass carb only to have the intake boot choke it off before it enter your motor? Pointless.

I have been reading Jennings 2 stroke tunners book, and another similiar book I found online (forgot the author). There is so much that goes into this stuff and I am trying to take in as much theory and principle in before I try to improve my machine, but is there an more literature I should look up? Are these books the best as far as learning how to improve my motor?
i would rather screw up 10 jugs doing it myself than pay someone thousands of dollars to do it for me :wink: . if you want to learn then get some tools, get grinding and dont ever look back. or call glen or roostius or jerry or pete or joe shmo or whoever and pay them to do it :wink: . dont doubt yourself or you wont make it very far. have to make up your own mind brotha :cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

10 jugs = $3,000

Dude, your broke as a joke.

Have one of Eric Gorr's trainees do it for $200 or have Roosty, Jerry Hall, or Loomis do it for more.... done.

I've seen guys spend a lot of dough on porting tools, just to knock off the dingleberries and polish the exhaust port to a mirrror finish....

Net horsepower gain - 0
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

100hp honda wrote:
Pony wrote:Hell ya! thats a pro setup right there. Post up some pics of your work! I know some of ya'll are kind of secrective about some stuff but you dont have to reveal any of that. I just like the simple clean stuff that will make the motor function the way it was designed.

i would rather screw up 10 jugs doing it myself than pay someone thousands of dollars to do it for me :wink: . if you want to learn then get some tools, get grinding and dont ever look back. or call glen or roostius or jerry or pete or joe shmo or whoever and pay them to do it :wink: . dont doubt yourself or you wont make it very far. have to make up your own mind brotha :cool:
thats the worst advice i have ever seen on here :roll:

this site oozes with great guys with good knowledge and experience and willing to help someone learn , trend now broken :roll:
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

AlisoBob wrote:
Dude, your broke as a joke. (broke dick)

Have one of Eric Gorr's trainees do it for $200 or have Roosty, Jerry Hall, or Loomis do it for more.... done.
I guess I'm still a nobody!!!!!

Lol! lol! Lol! Lol! Lol! Lol! Lol! Lol!!!!!!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sorry charlie but im not paying anybody :D

i knocked off more than dingle berries. should give the gss full race port a good run for its money :lol: :lol: :lol:
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

:worthless:

Porting pics!!!!!

Gss. Ah SHIT !!!!! You fancy !!!!
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:sorry charlie but im not RACING anybody.....
Fixed it.......
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Yes Billy Bob, I forgot you.....

:wink:
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

AlisoBob wrote:
100hp honda wrote:sorry charlie but im not RACING anybody but my shadow.
Fixed it.......
I fixed it better bob
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:....should give the gss full race port a good run for its money :lol: :lol: :lol:
You said GSS was CRAP..... now your comparig youself to it..... possibly even matching it?

You set the bar real high Clyde..... you add even more reason to send it out to someone who knows WTF their doing....
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

blownbillybob wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:
100hp honda wrote:sorry charlie but im not RACING anybody but my shadow.... and its WINNING.
Fixed it.......
I fixed it better bob
Fix X 2
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

I vote for the gym membership.

My current weight 280lbs/65hp stock equals 4.31 lbs per hp
My current weight 280lbs/72hp after porting equals 3.89 lbs per hp
My ideal weight of 240lbs/65hp stock equals 3.69 lbs per hp

As you can see from my fat flow chart the largest power to weight gains were achieved in the gym. As an added bonus I would be able to hang on to the bike longer, ride it faster, and my wife would want to bone more often so I would be happier. It does look like I could keep the wife pretty happy with that porting tool if I got some different "bits" and then I don't have to go to the gym, I could just eat Cheesburgers and polish stuff.

Maybe I'm changing my vote back to owning the porting machine :)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Rhino89523 wrote:.... and my wife would want to bone more often so I would be happier....
Thats another one of those things i've never seen proven :lol:
But if she takes action to loose some weight lookout! Its the old "loosin and leaving" scenerio :lol: . More than a few situations have been witnessed arround here. hahahaha
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Roosty I think you got that one twisted around...probably because I describe things poorly.

My wife doesn't need to lose weight.....I am a fat ass and could use to lose 40lbs easy.

If I was a bit skinnier and looked a little more like I did when we met...yeah I would get paid out more.

this is my current look...not so good. Wife still looks pretty great