DEP pipes

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
knobby668

DEP pipes

Post by knobby668 »

I have my crf250 frame at the welder getting new lower rails welded in and will soon be mocking up engine placement.

I was thinking of using a pipe and silencer from DEP. Has anyone tried one for their conversion? They list a pipe and and silencer for CR500AF.

I called and talked to Tom and he told me it will fit 90% all conversions. I have a DEP pipe on my YZ250 and really like it. So has anyone tried it?

http://stores.homestead.com/DEPPIPES/-s ... Detail.bok
Last edited by knobby668 on December 22nd, 2010, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

Haven't tried that pipe, But you should fit the motor and rails at the same time...
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
knobby668

Post by knobby668 »

Ok will do. I want to get a pipe fitted up to see how everything lines up before welding in the motor mounts.

I see some of you getting pipes to line up good and then just make up a new mount or two and others having to cut and weld the pipe and or silencer.

What does service honda change on the pipes they put on their bikes?

Hey Paul thanks for the motor mounts, they are going to work great!
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

haha, yup Pauls motor mounts are perfect.
My welder used to ride MX, and now he has been eying up all my stuff, asking about the mounts, and the jig
ukaf

Re: DEP pipes

Post by ukaf »

knobby668 wrote:I have my crf250 frame at the welder getting new lower rails welded in and will soon be mocking up engine placement.

I was thinking of using a pipe and silencer from DEP. Has anyone tried one for their conversion? They list a pipe and and silencer for CR500AF.

I called and talked to Tom and he told me it will fit 90% all conversions. I have a DEP pipe on my YZ250 and really like it. So has anyone tried it?

http://stores.homestead.com/DEPPIPES/-s ... Detail.bok
The DEP used a 2008 Service Honda as the pattern. This means that building a bike which fits the DEP will allow the use of PC and FMF pipes from Service Honda without any modification. The DEP shape is very close to the 1989 HRC pipe.

In Europe we need quiet bikes so DEP also have a long silencer available, again made to fit a Service Honda so it can be changed for a SH FMF or PC no problems.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

You are going to have to make new pipe mounts no matter what pipe you use. If it was me, I would get a pipe for a standard cr500 and set my mounts to it. That way in the future if you wanted to swap pipes out you could use any for a cr500 instead of having to find one specific pipe.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

SH pipes and silencers are a direct bolt on for the 97-07 CR125/250 framed bikes. same pipes and silencers are used on CRF frames they just mod the subframe.
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
knobby668

Post by knobby668 »

Thanks for the info. I read an old post somewhere by AJ from SH and he mentioned cutting the pipe at the first bend in order to rotate pipe for tire clearance.

I was wondering if AF pipes were different in this area. I dont care about having to make or move mounts. I see guys grinding the right rear frame rail in order to tilt engine to keep tire from rubbing pipe. I want to avoid this.

My crf250 has had a new lower rails welded in and I am just waiting on what pipe to fit up before mocking up and welding in motor mounts. Again, thanks for your advice.
mxdogger

Post by mxdogger »

knobby as said before use a stock style pipe, only the rear mount on the stinger needs to be changed. there are no mods needed for the silencer either, add 1 mounting boss about in the middle of the subframe side rail and use a bracket that mounts to the orignal crf rear silencer mount, thats it.

if you set your bike up for a sh set up thats all u will be able to use, last i heard unless u have a service honda u cant get a pipe !

On motor placement it is nessasary to clearance the right frame rail to position the motor correctly, if u dont you will loose head clearance to gas tank, pipe/front wheel issues and counter shaft to swingarm pivot relation. these crf builds pretty much are done all the same, that is just how they go together. :cool:
heres a pic of the silencer mounted in a crf250 frame
knobby668

Post by knobby668 »

I got an email from DEP. Here is what they had to say.

The CR500AF pipe dimensions are exactly the same as our standard one. The only difference is that two of the mounting points are in different positions. Obviously we cannot guarantee that this will fit and be ideal for you as you have converted the bike yourself but I can say that we have sold over 300 of these and not had any complaints. As for the power delivery, it gives the bike a smooth and long power curve with additional over rev over the standard system.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Kahren
knobby668

Post by knobby668 »

ImageHere is a photo of one. I will try one and let you know how it works.
Last edited by knobby668 on January 8th, 2011, 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
AMA714

and...

Post by AMA714 »

give us a ride report.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

the Gorr book said the best engine mod was the DEp pipe and a pwk, i havent had that pipe, YET
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

with all due respect for Eric Gore, he also liked less compression than stock motor, :roll: :roll:
That was the part I really didn't like about his motor

That pipe looks allot like a stocker.... skinny rev pipe :cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dubious01 wrote:That pipe looks allot like a stocker....
X2

Honda knows WTF their doing........
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

knobby668 wrote:Image
yota

Post by yota »

yeah Honda KNOWS they are not going to be making 2 strokes any more, the morons.
09 TTM CR500AF
08 KTM 200 XC
08 Ducati Hypermotard
03 CR125
95 CR250
83 Husqvarna 125 XC
73 Maico MX250
ukaf

Post by ukaf »

AlisoBob wrote:
dubious01 wrote:That pipe looks allot like a stocker....
X2

Honda knows WTF their doing........
A guy over here (UK) has Thorpe's '89 HRC bike and it's like you say, the stock pipe isn't far different from the HRC one. He had a batch of 10 copy pipes made (@ £300 each) and was devastated when he saw the DEP was more or less identical and £100 cheaper! I can't say for sure but it's said that the original DEP was built using the HRC pipe as a pattern. And why not, Honda's techs and riders are hard to beat.

In '09 we did the Brit 2 stroke championship on a 500AF and tried stock (with a ding to give tyre clearance), DEP, FMF and PC. With a stock motor we found the DEP gave the best overall power delivery - just smoother and with a bit more rev. We also found that the FMF was toughest - stock, DEP and PC all cracked the rear mount on the pipe. The shiney silver FMF finish isn't good for the UK though!

We tried short and long silencers and settled on the long one. Quieter (which means the bike was allowed on the line) but also let him hold a gear longer and gave a bit of "launch control".

I also have a Honda GB (Rob Spencer) tuned motor which has had case, cyliner and head work (and a crank that vibrates much less than stock) - that engine worked best with FMF. The Vet rider didn't like this motor, the young guy loved it (both pro level). Incidentally, the Vet preferred the Gorr cylinder, the young guy liked stock.
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

got a dep works great for ice lots of pull at high rpm. showed up at my door 2 days after i orderd it , they seem to have good custmer service also.
no wing no prayer
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

u source it in north america?
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

yes its dep usa .com call tom weaver at 302-337-3285 their looking for new dealers if your intrested not sure what the dealer rate is but he seems motovated to get the name out their
no wing no prayer
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

what he said im an idiot thanks for the fix calling on the phone is the better deal though
no wing no prayer
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Only the silencer is in stock at the moment, 119.95$us
More pipes are in production for an ETA of mid Febuary, a nikkel plated one has my name on it for 249.00$us.
Tom is very good to talk to and is interested in the recent increase of 500 pipes being sold.

I'm going to be dyno testing it on the new engine in my new AF this spring, a little shoot-out with the OEM, DEP, Fatty, Gnarly, Gold Series (different than gnarly or fattys i have) and the Pro Circuit Platnum we have. possily i'll bring down the CPI from Chad again and i'll look for a dynoport
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

i know cpi needs to have a specific port job but i didnt like it in the low end and the other pipes seem to gain just as much on top and not as picky on tunning im not a dyno though but like a good pulling eye watering bike i liked the dep all around for ice riding
no wing no prayer