Weep hole leaking oil.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
maddog1927

Weep hole leaking oil.

Post by maddog1927 »

Stator side under the clutch linkage there is a weep hole, mine is weeping premix oil. What is this weep hole for? Why is it leaking? Will post pics later when I have my camera and am near my bike.
2strokekyle

Post by 2strokekyle »

If it's leaking pre-mix your crank seal is done.
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

bgraley

Post by bgraley »

are you sure it is premix? my bike leaks coolant down there under the case. my bike store guy said one of the water pump seals is bad or in backwards. collect a little and make sure it burns. the stuff coming out of mine is like the color of new motor oil but it is coolant with dirt mixed in form that cavity inside the bottom of the case. i have a 97 250 but they are similar in design. just checking. good luck.
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

bgraley wrote:are you sure it is premix? my bike leaks coolant down there under the case. my bike store guy said one of the water pump seals is bad or in backwards. collect a little and make sure it burns. the stuff coming out of mine is like the color of new motor oil but it is coolant with dirt mixed in form that cavity inside the bottom of the case. i have a 97 250 but they are similar in design. just checking. good luck.
if your leeking coolant from that weep hole you got big problems the pump seal weep hole is on the other side just under the pump. it's the crank seal or clutch arm seal. might whant to check that and find a new bike store guy
no wing no prayer
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

can it be from a leaking head gasket? not trying to steal this thread... it might all be relevant.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Ok guys, here is the weep hole from inside and out. Theres nothing able to get into it unless it comes up thru this hole.
If the crank case gasket is gone its usually higher and will be burning trans oil.
If the waterpump seal is gone the coolant would have to be 1.5" or deeper to get as high as this area sits, AND the gasket from the trans would have to be blown out to this cavity aswell.

i'm guessing you just have the slimed gunk buildup that happens. brake kleen it out, a little compressed air will either blow it back at you or shove it out the bottom :lol:

bgraley

Post by bgraley »

I have cleaned it with carb cleaner, air, towels. It usually leaks after a hard ride. a few days after the ride, it is leaking again. I know it's coolant on my bike cause it won't burn. it looks like fresh oil or premix if you use a brown oil. I just keep the bike topped off and am waiting for a time and a need to do a full rebuild. I am not worried about it other than it makes a mess of the bottom of the case. the honda service manual says to check that there is no leak from the hole you showed us roostius. but it doesn't say what to do if it does leak from there. when i take off the ignition cover, nothing is in there, so i don't know what to do about it. I hope some of this is helpful to you as well maddog. but i can't figure out what is going on with mine. I don't think i am burnin trans oil. my level seems to stay good.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

thers no way for it to get strait antifreeze, unless its seperating out of trans oil, and the trans is leaking here. theres a better chance that the green paper gasket is bleeding color into the water as it sits, or its been green with scale and corrosion in there before.
Check the trans for coolant.
Change to a different color coolant and watch for it.

get a sample of the shit and try to burn it
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

I have tried to burn it. it just bubbles. no water in the trans. I don't get it. it's like a greenish brown.and thick.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

they all have that goup
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Are you sure it's coming from the hole? If you are using the stock plastic cover chances are high that you are leaking this non burning substance in from the outside because you cover is roached, overtightened and the gasket is squezzed out.

Billet covers are the way to fly
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

its premix coming out the seal. people think theres only air going in. but remeber you also have pressure pushing fuel out. :wink:. your seal is saturated, clearly evident it in the photo. now if you had oily stuff just in the bottom of the cavity then it would be your clutch arm seal. probly had a bunch on the back of the flywheel also..... dead give away. only 2 ways oil can get in there, clutch or crank seal.
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

i swear mine does not burn. it is a greenish brown and will not take a flame. any ideas? it's not gas or oil. the only other liquid on the bike is coolant.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

bgraley wrote:i swear mine does not burn. it is a greenish brown and will not take a flame. any ideas? it's not gas or oil. the only other liquid on the bike is coolant.
what is burning gonna tell ya ? when premix seeps out the seal it turns to sludge, that aint gonna burn either. LOOK where the source is. is there a bunch on the seal and back of flywheel ? normal seal should be dry. is yours dry ? is wetness below the seal/flywheel ? is there alot of shit right by clutch arm ? trying to help you guys but damn its hard :lmao:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Wow, thats some funny shit right there Bob! Almost pissed myself watchin' that one on Brit. Does take a shitload of abuse.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

100hp honda wrote:your seal is saturated, clearly evident it in the photo. now if you had oily stuff just in the bottom of the cavity then it would be your clutch arm seal. probly had a bunch on the back of the flywheel also..... dead give away. only 2 ways oil can get in there, clutch or crank seal.
the picture is from another 500 motor I have in the garage, the motor in question is at a friends house. No oil on the back of the flywheel. 100% sure it is yamalube, not tranny oil. Could be the seal, but it sure seems to be coming out the hole. From Adam's pictures that would mean I have both a leak in a case seal right at the cavity, and the hole at the bottom of the cavity is plugged. Seems unlikely, I'll have to check into it more. Might have to split the cases.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

"My seepage wont burn....."

I'm dying!!!!!!!!
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

First of all, it CAN be pre-mix and it CAN be trans oil, but IF it is either one it IS the center case gasket. It CAN be coolant, because anything is possible, BUT as this guy would say:

It would be HIGHLY IMPROBABLE...

The water pump seal would have to have failed tremendously AND the right side (water pump) weep hole would also have to be plugged in order for coolant pressure to over power the trans oil seal AND on top of all that, there would have to be soooo much coolant in the trans that the oil lever would have to be elevated high enough so that no oil and coolant was mixing to allow only "green" coolant to pass through the failed center case gasket into the drain cavity. How probable does that scenario sound?

I cant remember the coolant path through the cases but you can fill the trans with coolant if the case gasket fails in that area...

A simple pressure test can tell you the answer...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

Bob, thanks for ilustrating my frustration. It doesn't help figure out what is going on, but now everybody who can't read knows what is going on too.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Dude, laughter is the best medicine..... Nobody knows everything, and usually the more your goofed on round here, the more liked you are, cept' Brit.

:wink:
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

it's cool. i think my sarcasm didn't come off as much as i wanted it to. so I think i am looking at replaceing crank seals on both sides for good measure as well as checking the water pump seals while i am at it. will the presure test give me a better idea of what i need. and how do i know what it is telling me? if i have a leak do i need new rings? just trying to figure out what i need. I can do the work, just diagosing is tough for me.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Crank seals are cheap and easy..... do it.

If the water pump seals were bad, it would either pee out the pump side weep hole, or your tranny oil would look like baby poo.

Do the crank seals, and if runs good, ride it!!!