Single coolant outlet head.. Pros/Cons

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

,dfhjghgfhgfdghg
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

Im doing the bore and plug on mine.

I was doing a little research on the cool head and notice that they eliminate the head gasket and o-ring it. Doing this obviously opens up the coolant passages without the restriction of the gasket.

Has anyone kept the stock gasket but bored the holes in the gasket to match the water jackets?? I noticed that my stock gasket holes are only 10mm or so.. Or better yet, is there a gasket that has bigger holes over the water jacket passages???
Last edited by AMA714 on March 22nd, 2011, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

no gasket is bigger, watch the embossment of the stock gasket doesnt get crimped :wink:
matt_NC

Post by matt_NC »

I betcha if you add up the area of the seemingly small round holes in the gasket and compare that to the amount of area in the outlets in the top of the head, the outlets are the constriction.

:whistle:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the gaskets do have different sized holes to direct more flow, but ya, you're likely bang on with that comment
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

honda put those holes like that for a reason....
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
matt_NC

Post by matt_NC »

Likely because it is the cheapest, most effective way to produce a reliable gasket.

Imagine how fragile and prone to failure that gasket would be if it were hogged out to fit the water passages.

:burnout:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I've made a few of these manifolds for guys

Flatbiller

Post by Flatbiller »

I was wondering on the head gasket too. Can I hog them out a bit with no problems? My shit over heats all the time, it's got new rads, new pump and it still gets hot. I mean it's a little hole for such a big area!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Flatbiller wrote:I was wondering on the head gasket too. Can I hog them out a bit with no problems? My shit over heats all the time, it's got new rads, new pump and it still gets hot. I mean it's a little hole for such a big area!
Overheating is not just about flow volume.
matt_NC wrote:Likely because it is the cheapest, most effective way to produce a reliable gasket.
I don't propose that I know squat about cooling systems, but a simple bit of logic...

I suggest that hogging out the holes is probably a bad idea. If you don't restrict the coolant path in that area, the coolant from your radiators will take the shortest path through leaving no time for thermal transfer while the fluid farther away from the inlet and outlet remains in place. You end up with your cylinder being cooled unevenly and warping occurs. Not good.

I'd suggest flatbiller has a pressure problem.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

I was wondering if the small holes were to control flow, as in allow the coolant to draw heat before being fed back into the rad.

Just thought it was interesting to note that the "Cool Head" does not have this coolant path restriction.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

You guys are doing it wrong,
Brit told me this is how a proper conversion is done, so I took his advice.

:oops:
...but it hasn't leaked for 2 years!

Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

fastkart wrote:Image

It's not real pretty, but I didn't have the fittings I wanted in time.
am i missing soemthing here ?
if u use the right side as outlet and inlet to the rad are you no making the left hand rad redundant ?
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

This is a photo of Fastkart's gokart motor, I suspect he is likely using a larger single rad.
I agree if inlet and return are both on the same rad, then you're not going to be using the other one to it's full potential.
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

ah :oops:
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

You got it.... only one radiator.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

why the hell would you put inlet hose into the right rad on a cr500 ?? you have 2 rads, inlet goes to the top left side and pump pulls everything to the bottom right.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

that reminds me. if you have the single hose going to the right side, might as well throw the left rad in the trash because it aint doing nothing but adding dead weight. if you have single hose going to left side, might as well throw right rad in the trash because its just adding dead weight. one hose is bad idea with 2 rads. either way you slice the pie, one rad will be useless.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote:.....if you have single hose going to left side, might as well throw right rad in the trash because its just adding dead weight. one hose is bad idea with 2 rads. either way you slice the pie, one rad will be useless.
Ever seen how the OEM 4 strokes are plumbed dumbass?

:roll:

Single hose to the left side, with a cross over connecting the left rad, to the right.

Stick your tongue on the right side sometime, to see if its "working"

Put that on YouTube....

:wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

never seen a gen4. is there a big crossover at the top ? the cr500 steely design is not a good idea to use one hose on either side with only a crossover at the bottom. you want me to draw a pic so you can understand ?

dumbass :roll:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

bobs a engineer and will enlighten us. makes no sense to me but im a dumb hillbilly :D

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

anybody with a single hose bike have a temp gun ? be interesting to see the difference between right and left side. i remeber when my waterpump blew up, the rads were stone cold while the engine was hot as hell. with single hose, i see most of the right side rad being fairly cool ( indicating its not contributing anything to the cooling system function ), while the left side is similar temp as the cylinder.

what you think ?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Is life so hard to figure out??? 5 second Google search

:roll: x 491
AMA714

Post by AMA714 »

LMAO.... Bob you crack me up..

100hp... A stock 450 has a single outlet head that runs considerably hotter than any two stroke.