AlisoBob's Gen 4 A/F Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

iggys-amsoil wrote:
ShanMan wrote: Gen. three bikes were more of all of the above, and are considered by many to be the best handling two stroke Honda chassis of all time. Some think the turning became a little too sharp and lost some stability at high speeds.
Well that maybe true in some circles, I have found out from going to the track and races thats its commonly known that Gen III's have a turning problem. Needless to say I got tired of dumping mine. The fix is to spend the dough on 20mm offset triple clamps. Which I did and going to a 100 size front tire instead of the stock 90. Well that must be the ticket cause, knock on wood, I've only dumped it once this whole year, which was in one of Glen Helens finest ruts. :lol: Then there is having it resprung, revalved, correct sag and 12 psi in the front. Stability issues are from the forks set to high in the clamps and that will change when changing the clamp offset,/ or the springs to light for a riders weight.

AH the learning curve. :doh: Glad I'm over it. Now lets ride. :lol:
You are the only one I've ever heard of having handling problems with a Gen 3 CR 250. The 20mm offset clamps are the "hot" set-up on the '02-'04 CRF450, most who tried them on the CR250 said there was no benefit. The stock size front tire is the 80, the 90 is the bigger one.
My guess is Iggy, that your sag wasn't correct (maybe needed stiffer spring), and maybe didn't have the fork height correct. The '02-'07 CR250 chassis is pretty damn good stock (with correct spring rates and sag). I really feel only one bike is superior in handling. That being the RM250. Pick a year, all pretty good.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Ya thats right 80-90.

Thats the first thing I did was resprung for my weight. I did the sag when I got them back. After words I added 3/4 turn more preload to the shock. But ya I should recheck the sag anyway.
But it comes down to my cornering skills just suck. Oh well, off to practice.........
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Looks good Bob-a-rino.
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
zorak-2

Post by zorak-2 »

Bob the bike sick sick as hell. When is it going to be done.
This site rocks
GEN 4 CRF500
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Pretty friggin' soon!!
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

BRAAP! :o
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Heres the parts.. The airbox, flange, adapter, filter mount, boot, boot spacer.

hagendog wrote:I can't seem to find any info on the airbox and the template that was made and what it was for.
The key to the air box is the 3/8" thick, clear lexan spacer, seen at the bottom right.

It covers the face of the stock airbox, uses the inner airbox filter mount, and lets you mount the CR500 boot anywhere you wish to get carb alignment and clear the shock spring.

The first one was made from phenolic, but I made another one from Lexan, as its much easier to locate all the holes.

Does ths discription help you, Dog?
Slomo

Post by Slomo »

What rate rear spring are you going to run Bob?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

5.8..... its a big mutha'

hagendog

Post by hagendog »

She's a runner :D It was the 88 intake boot that had everything jacked up. Installed a 95 reed cage and boot and the 02 250 boot on the back and it's like butter. This was driving me crazy, but it's all good now. I have a 5.4 race tech on the back of mine, it might actually be a 6.0 but the numbers are gone so I can't tell the difference. Clearence was good with no mods or heat :cool: Thanks for the pics above and the conversation earlier Bob, I was ready to lose it. BRAPPPPPP going to see Bigworm in Truckee tomorrow. He said you can ride from his place to Reno damn near. First ride on the AF stock( not a hillclimber) since I built it. I am fuckin stoked. Makes me want to blare Def Leppard :headbang: Well maybe some SLAYER YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

hagendog wrote:... maybe some SLAYER YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=fn6gD5WYAD8[/youtube]
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

Shit Bob, you climb a notch higher in my book . Now give me some Reign in Blood shit, that's the ticket. Old school SLAYER, Hell awaits with some 15's or .........well any SLAYER is good SLAYER FUCK YEEEEAHHHH :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

cool, I'm glad the boot fixed it for you.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Lookin' good Bob. What did you use to radius the back of the cases?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

CR500R-G3 wrote:Lookin' good Bob. What did you use to radius the back of the cases?
A 4" grinder, with a fresh wheel, held "straight on" to the case. The radius of the cut is the same as that of the wheel.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

AlisoBob wrote:
CR500R-G3 wrote:Lookin' good Bob. What did you use to radius the back of the cases?
A 4" grinder, with a fresh wheel, held "straight on" to the case. The radius of the cut is the same as that of the wheel.
Cool. I'll check the depth of my 250 engine before I sell it and match that.

Thanks Bob. :cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:wink:

Hold it straight on, and move it up and down at the same angle as the shock is installed at...
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Will do Bob. Thanks. :cool:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i hope you have it all writen down bob. im considering now using a aluminum frame for my race motor when it gets done. i would of already bought a roller but my cash is a little low. ill be calling soon as i can make it happen. something extended like Pstoffers machine is what ill be doing
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Write it down? Its all here !
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I'm currently moving the frame side of the head stay mount over, to be inline with the head lug, much like the OEM CR500 method.

S/H uses a one sided billet piece that while looking good, also looks like it isnt as stiff as it should be.

After moving the mount, the dual .250" 6061 T-6 plates will be very light and stiff.
Ported&Polished

I can see how to change the pictured design so that it has a double shear attachment on the frame as well as the head, pretty easy actually. And yes, using plate alloy makes alot of sense because the whole unit can be lighter and stronger. I would think that instead of two seperate plates, the stay could be two plates attached at the middle making a H shape which would be hella strong imo.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Ported&Polished

Something like this would work well. Image
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I'll order some from Zorak

( He manages 4 Wheel Supply)

:wink:
Ported&Polished

Dork! You know what I mean, shaped like those shackles roughly. I didn't mean use leaf spring shackles as a head stay. :chair:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!