Diesel ?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

the only thing towing might hurt on that truck is the trans. motor is bulletproof.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

NightBiker07 wrote:the only thing towing might hurt on that truck is the trans. motor is bulletproof.
Depends on weight...IMO anything less than 9k you'll be fine. I blew my 4R100 already and had John Wood build me a new one...night and day type of difference...
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I let this 2002 go for 19K last year, some dude came all the way out from Oregon to buy it.

CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

That is a very tidy looking unit!
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Mik329 wrote:I let this 2002 go for 19K last year, some dude came all the way out from Oregon to buy it.

Nice! What was done to it besides lift/tires? Was it low mileage?

Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

it had 90K on it, pretty nice sound system and I had a chip in it. That tool box had a hidden pump station and held 80 gals of fuel.
kdizzle

I just Scored this

Post by kdizzle »

I never stopped looking and ended up scoring this beauty

02, 7.3, 4wd, limited, 69k on the odo. F-350 springs front and rear for towing prowess. I am stoked on this beast. got it for 22 OTD. Not one scratch or dent and the interior is perfect. It was damm near exactly what i was looking for down to the color. :cool: :cool:

Now the 500 goes to the track in style!
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Sweet!! Congrats on the new ride!!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Hellbear wrote:Sweet!! Congrats on the new ride!!
x2!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

dannygraves wrote:
Hellbear wrote:Sweet!! Congrats on the new ride!!
x2!
X3! Congrats Dude! Looks good. F350 springs/Bilstiens is all you really need IMO. Does it have a rear sway bar? Tuner? Exhaust?

kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

No rear swaybar or tuner, stock intake and exhaust.

Does the swaybar make that much of a difference?

I ordered the Ford AIS this morning and will have to make a decision on the exhaust. I would like somthing to increasae performance but quiet for the long drives.

I plan to build this beast for durability and towing, so im looking for mods that go along with this thinking.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

kdizzle wrote:No rear swaybar or tuner, stock intake and exhaust.

Does the swaybar make that much of a difference?

I ordered the Ford AIS this morning and will have to make a decision on the exhaust. I would like somthing to increasae performance but quiet for the long drives.

I plan to build this beast for durability and towing, so im looking for mods that go along with this thinking.

Sway bar makes a BIG difference! Next time while driving on FWY, gently roll the steering wheel back and forth. You'll see. Ford AIS is ok. You could'a made and intake for cheaper using a 9937 filter from Napa.

For tuning, skip all the big name crap. Check out DP-Tuner www.dp-tuner.com - hands down the best IMO. AFE makes a good quiet 4" Exhaust. MBRP is kinda loud. for Towing, the X-code springs are #1 upgrade. Sway bar is #2. How much weight will you be pulling? Also, add gauges to monitor things like EGT's, Trans-Temp, Coolant Temp., Boost. The factory in dash gauges are more for looks. trans temp is especially important - the 4R100 is real temper mental. Add a 6.0 trans cooler. Do you know if its the original trans? Quick way to check is see if there's an in-line filter on the return line. You have E-Rated tires? And, when fueling, run Diesel treatment at a minimum - cheap 2 stroke oil is a bonus! Stupid ULSD wreaks havoc on the o-rings.

Check out Guzzle's site for a bunch of tips/suggestions:

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/index.php

kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Thanks for the tips man, i appreciate it.. Now that my AF is in a static state i need to move on to a new project, lots of stuff to modify on the X. :cool: :cool:

Regarding the fuel, are you saying that some cheap 2 smoke oil in the tank is good for it? or stick with just the diesel treatment?

BTW i just filled the tank... 130$ :shock: :shock:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Mix in some Walmart-Brand two stroke oil. Ratio is 1oz per gallon. I use both treatment and oil. It really quiets down the injectors (gets rid of that loud clatter) and boosts economy noticeably. And the way diesel is creeping up lately, I'll take all that I can get. Whats price like in AZ? I'll be passing thru this weekend...may not have to stop for fuel tho...the X has over 700 miles of range! :cool:

LMK if u need any other help with it - I've been tinkering with mine since the day I got it in 2008. A lot of fun! So much to do....check out http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/ thats the Excursion forum...a plethora of knowledge in there! Enjoy!

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_ ... e_test.pdf

I have my own conclusions from this test.

1. They are using a "wear scar" machine as the testing device. This isnt really a accurate way to simulate pump, injector, or piston ring wear.

2. I know 2 stroke oil lubricates well INSIDE an internal combustion engine, do the others that were tested?

They should do the "reverse test", and use the other diesel additive products as premix oils, and see if the engines siezed.

I have been running the 2 stroke oil in my D-Max for a while. Sometimes I fuel up without it, and have to dump in in once I get home. I can tell the difference on that drive home, with no 2 stoke oil in there....

I use 16oz. for a 23gal fill up

About 200:1 ratio. ( 184:1 to be exact)
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

awesome, just make sure you have a newer style cam position sensor in it. They had a bunch of bad ones in 02 and I had a bad one in my truck. Truck will just die and you can start it back up within a minute or so. They are a little tough to get to and about 30 bucks at the dealer. I bought two and kept a spare on board just in case at the time, but you should be good if you have a new one in there.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Mik329 wrote:awesome, just make sure you have a newer style cam position sensor in it. They had a bunch of bad ones in 02 and I had a bad one in my truck. Truck will just die and you can start it back up within a minute or so. They are a little tough to get to and about 30 bucks at the dealer. I bought two and kept a spare on board just in case at the time, but you should be good if you have a new one in there.
Thats actually a Ford recall...but they say the newer replacement CPS is a POS..

kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

So last night i put in a bottle of Diesel Power Services additive from walmart and a bottle of 2 smoke oil and it quieted down the truck quiet a bit, especially the injectors. Big difference , and good to know. Obviously keeping the injectors in top running condition is key to any diesel. I now have a couple bottles in the back of the beast for fillups.

Fuel was 2.89$ the other day when I filled up at chevron.

Regarding the CPS, I have read on other forums they can be problematic. I may just buy a spare from the dealer and keep it in the glove for a rainy day. Knowing my luck it will go out when i'm loaded to the hilt going to the lake.

Looking at the AE exhaust.. schweett
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Ya they proved themselves. I run this stuff:

But they used this in their test:

Kdizzle - you didnt run the entire bottle, did ya? IIRC 8oz does 25gal. And only 1oz of two stroke oil per gal of diesel.

I dont believe I've seen that at Wal-Mart...will have to try that one. :cool:

kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Yep that SIlver bottle is the one I bought. No I didnt dump the whole bottle but I did put half, maybe a tad much but I like living on the edge :lol: :lol:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

kdizzle wrote:but I like living on the edge :lol: :lol:

Living on the edge, You can't stop yourself from falling down / off / through / over / under / back / out and anywhere else you can think of. :D
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
redrdr67

Post by redrdr67 »

2 stroke oil? I'll give it a try. Is it overkill to use it with the diesel kleen cetane boost? Been using that every other fill up.

Regarding the recalled CPS, I've been holding off because of other's I know that have had them replaced, but still had the motor shut off. Anyone else still have their original still in? Mine is an early '99 F350.
'99 CR500R, Lots of Hondas
Ashley's Deli, Pro Honda Oils, Precision Concepts, BRP, Michelin, Mototecnica