Iceman Gen 3 (02 CRF 450) conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Iceman

Iceman Gen 3 (02 CRF 450) conversion

Post by Iceman »

http://s756.photobucket.com/albums/xx20 ... CRF450.jpg

I picked up a 02 450 last weekend.
-AVS levers
-Hammerhead rear brake
-Tires are about 85% good
-Forks and Shock don't leak
-Lots of plastic (mostly trashed)
-Excel hub and rim
-New X-ring Chain
-oversized bars
-Fluidyn Radiators (Brand New)
-Pro Moto kick stand
-Skid plate, rad guards

Shit to sell
CRF 450 Hinson Basket and inner hub
Carb
FMF exhust system
All motor parts (Oil pump effed up and cooked the motor)

The chain was derailed at one time and effed the swing arm (where the seal goes on the outside and ovaled the bearing housing).

Bought it from a guy I know and gave him $800, that's at great price for something like this in Canada. The guy cooked the motor 3 yrs ago and bought a YZ250 and never looked at his CRF again. I'm picking up metal tomorrow and starting on it this weekend (saws-all). Later

Question - 02 vs 04 swing arm, they have different part #'s, are they that different? (found a 04 on flea-bay)
2002 CR500 AFC
FMF fatty, V-force, 39PWK, Dyno Port engine, EGT
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

mate thats a great pick up, even if its mates rates.
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
robertg

Post by robertg »

I'm pretty sure the swing arm will bolt up the same. I'm using one from a 2004 CR125 on my 07 CRF250 frame.
Iceman

Started on the build

Post by Iceman »

Tore down 500 and the 450, I determined that i would need a another swingarm. Picked up a 03 from ebay ($30 + shipping). Bought $68 in 6061 metal. So here we go

Started cutting on the weekend and ended up with this.
-Swing arm spacers sized, New swing arm bearings (use a new set from the tool box for a 95 CR250)
-Cut Y, cut down tube, cut one bottom motor mount
-Set engine in for postion, I think I'm pretty close to where I want it.
Next I need to hollow out Y. Cut off bottom engine mount. Build new mounts.

Question 1 - there is no way in hell the 500 or a 2001 CR250 air boot will fit in this frame. Is the correct air boot for this conversion a 1998 CR 250?
Question 2 - larger tank question, which one (IMS Clarke or Acerbis), I guess which one is the easiest to modify?
Question 3 - CDI location - would the steering head be the best place to put it (use the 450 rubber sleeve)

Thanks for all your help, later
2002 CR500 AFC
FMF fatty, V-force, 39PWK, Dyno Port engine, EGT
KE 336

Re: Started on the build

Post by KE 336 »

Iceman wrote: Question 1 - there is no way in hell the 500 or a 2001 CR250 air boot will fit in this frame. Is the correct air boot for this conversion a 1998 CR 250?
Question 2 - larger tank question, which one (IMS Clarke or Acerbis), I guess which one is the easiest to modify?
Question 3 - CDI location - would the steering head be the best place to put it (use the 450 rubber sleeve)
#1 I don't know about the 01 250 but the 500 boot is way too short. The 98 250 boot is what I used. Length is perfect but had to heat and dimple it a little on top outside where it passes thru the frame.

#2 I'm still running stock tank so I don't know on that but the stock one only took a very small amount of bend where the spigot is using short plug BR8ECM.

#3 That's what I did also. No mods needed other than one wire from coil to cdi had to be made longer.
eyesky2002

Re: Started on the build

Post by eyesky2002 »

Iceman wrote: Question 1 - there is no way in hell the 500 or a 2001 CR250 air boot will fit in this frame. Is the correct air boot for this conversion a 1998 CR 250?
#1. You need to use the 98-99 250 boot for the 02-04 450 builds. Proven and tested as I bought several different 250 and 500 boots during my build. On the side note the 02 air box / filter design is garbage, get a hold of a 03-04 box/filter.

#2. No clue on the over sized tanks as I run a stock one that is heated a bit to clear the plug.

#3. When I first completed my build I mounted my 500 CDI behind the number plate, but had to lengthen several wires to make it reach. Used the 450 bracket / rubber and some thin Velcro strips to hold it in. Now that I have a 99 250 ignition, rather then cut it up and lengthen the harness I went ahead and mounted the same bracket on the inside of my left after market radiator support, behind the shroud. Nice fit on all the wires!

Check out my build for other 450 ideas, solutions and info!

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... 70&start=0
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I used a clarke on mine, it was pretty easy to mold. Just hit with a heat gun and used a leg on the coffee table for constant pressure.

Be careful though the crease in the tank will rub a hole on the inside of your frame.
03 CRF450/85 500