Importing frame form USA to Canada?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
blackz34

Importing frame form USA to Canada?

Post by blackz34 »

Not sure where to put this one, more a general question but anyway...

Is there anyone from Canada that ever bought a bare frame from the US (theres alot on ebay, not much here in Quebec!!!). Any trouble at the border? I ask one guy(keep it roostin) what kind of paper comes with his frame and he said I will get a notarized bill of sale, is it all I need to get it registered under my name once it gets here (i don't know what kind of paper you have in the US)?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you
robertg

Post by robertg »

Do you register dirt bikes in Quebec? Canada Post will deliver it to you no problem, however if you want to register it with a bill of sale from the US, you will have to go through the RIV program. You could get a friend to buy the frame on eBay, and then he could sell it to you. This way you would be buying it from a Canadian.
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

robertg wrote:, however if you want to register it with a bill of sale from the US, you will have to go through the RIV program.
I read about the RIV program and if I understand it right, a motocross dont need to gp through this because it is a competiton only vehicule that should be used on close course area.

From the RIV website :
Competition Vehicles are designed for use
exclusively in closed-course competition. These
vehicles are exempt from the RIV program
provided they: bear a label affixed by the
manufacturer stating, in both official languages,
that the vehicle is a competition vehicle and is
for use exclusively in closed-course competition,
or is accompanied by a signed declaration
clearly indicating that the vehicle is a
competition vehicle and is for use exclusively in
closed-course competition. This signed
declaration MUST come from a racing
sanctioning body, i.e. FIA, AMA, CART, etc.

But theres in no sticker on the frame itself...Not that it couldn't be put though!
robertg

Post by robertg »

It really depends who you get at the border and how they interpret the law. Would you import it yourself?
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

I never did that before, that"s why I'm asking!!! But yeah, that's my plan
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

robertg wrote: You could get a friend to buy the frame on eBay, and then he could sell it to you. This way you would be buying it from a Canadian.
I don't really understand waht you are saying (sorry, I'm french!) What would be the difference between buying it myself or having someone else (from Canada) buying it and selling it to me? This guy would still have the same problems, won't he? I don't know how it works in other province... Here we need to register it for off-road use only.Cost about 54$/year
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i've had 2 frames imported, a bare 2003 250 and a engineless whole 87 500, both had no problem, if thers no engine in the chassis its just parts even if it has a serial #
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

Roostius, did they just put the bill of sale in the box with the frame?

I just read a little bit on Manitoba registration, so you only need the bill of sale or a certificate of title and your good to go, that's it? I think it is the same here, I will call tommorow to be sure, sounds easy!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i had a hand written recipt on a macdonalds napkin for 1 and a kijiji add
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:i had a hand written recipt on a macdonalds napkin for 1 and a kijiji add
LOL
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i'm wrong, it was craigslist
Iceman

US frame to Canada

Post by Iceman »

I bought a frame from Eastern states to have it shipped to Calgary Alberta (2-3 yrs ago). End result was that UPS and customs totally fucked me over (I think UPS started the pile up).
Long story short
- I told the shipper to label frame as (Used Bike Parts), he did not, he labeled it “Motorcycle frame”. (I thing that this triggered UPS to hassle me about the frame)
- UPS said customs need RIV done on frame. I told them it was a competition motorcycle, didn’t matter in customs eyes.
- I didn’t have a VIN # and the guy I bought it from didn’t either to do the RIV register.
- I said it was on the frame, UPS charged me $25-40 to open the box to read me the VIN #
- VIN # had one number worn off and could not be read.

I ended up with no frame

So if you going to get a frame from the US, make sure you have a VIN number before shipping. Even if you don’t plan on registering it.

And UPS can suck effin rocks until the sun burns out.
2002 CR500 AFC
FMF fatty, V-force, 39PWK, Dyno Port engine, EGT
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

UPS= legal RAPING
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:UPS= legal RAPING
Yes, they have excessive fee just for customs, I prefer USPS but I think they don't offer tracking # (at least that's what most of the people say on ebay).

I'm still unsure about ordering a US one...I found one a 2005 CF450 frame for 400$ in Ontario but that's like a 7hours drive (14hours total!)
CR500 4 Ever

Post by CR500 4 Ever »

I have bought 3 - 2007 CR125 Frames for 3 500AF conversions, a CRF150RB and a CR85RB frames for a CR85RB with CRF250x motor conversion. All in the US. I recieved them in Canada with absolutley no problems. 4 out of 5 were shipped UPS. I also bought a complete 1995 RVF400RR streetbike in the US, had the owner tear it down and ship it in 4 boxes to avoid any import paperwork. All 4 were shipped UPS.
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

CR500 4 EVER, in which province are you? Any problem registering them ?

I was told by the person at the SAAQ (where we go here in Quebec to register our vehicules) that I would need the title, the importation paper showing I paid the taxes and the bill of sale. But she wasn't exaclty sure because she never did this for only a frame.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

what year is the bike?
Bean

Post by Bean »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:UPS= legal RAPING
yep found that out when we got our engines sent over
OK THAT'S 2 DONE ....
WHO'S IS NEXT????
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I have so many stories i could tell about ups wrecking, loosing, and overcharging its unreal. just the other day they made a mistake on a harmonic balancer i got from ATI, it was 600$us, the brokerage and junk they tried to charge me was over 300! and the freight had been prepaid. my conversation started like this
"ups: hello, blablabla.....
me:FUCK, and with that you can guess how the rest of this will go til i get a credit"
it was real quiet on the other end for a bit
Bean

Post by Bean »

i think if i get anything of value sent over again and its going by ups i will send it to one of the guys from her or a ex workmate up in NH.
them i will get it sent by usps
OK THAT'S 2 DONE ....
WHO'S IS NEXT????
blackz34

Post by blackz34 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:what year is the bike?
I'm looking for a 2005-08 crf450
Darrell262

Post by Darrell262 »

I cant remember where I saw it. but I think theres a 200$ charge for shipping any frame over the border?
98 Cr 500 Steelie, 08 KTM 300
Both sporting Tera Flex 150x90x18 tires.