86 done up for worcs

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
27maverick

86 done up for worcs

Post by 27maverick »

This is my 86 in a ttm frame, going to test ride this weekend. Planning on racing the worc races 2010. Won the 40b last season thought I needed a new horse to compete with the 40a riders [Rodney Smith/ Ty Davis] Rode the ktm 300 and 505 last year. The 86 motor has updated clutch and water pump, all new bearing through out, boysen reeds, balanced by str racing/ stock porting, 41 sudco, pro circut pipe, clark tank, 93 cr250 fly wheel, ignition and 500 monster coil, 02 125 frame and 07 kyb shock ,05 crf forks all valved by rg3, zappa pegs, Still need stabalizer and rekluse, not sure but I believe the rtt stablizer to keep the fast bars low and the pro rekluse over the latest rekluse because I believe I will need the adjusting ability for hard pack like phoenix and then change it back to a aggressive side for lake havasue. I bought the 86 steely last year rode it twice to check the motor out. I was looking for the 300 zip with the 505 torque. I'm running 14-48 gearing, I need 90mph for a few straights in the series like glen helen and phoenix. Thursday is launch day, won't have the corret suspenion, but evey thing else seems to be ready. Look over my build and see if anything looks out of place or wrong. If I can't get the pics up tonight I will tomorrow.Thanks
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

[/img]
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

ImageIMG]http://i795.photobucket.com[/img]

[imhttp://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy233/27maverick/cr50009003.jpg[/img]

high velocity

Post by high velocity »

Right on!! I have an 86 motor in my ttm bike also. The transmission works great for offroad.Sweet bike!!
yota

Post by yota »

sweet! glad to see you finally got to it. whats with the WP forks?
09 TTM CR500AF
08 KTM 200 XC
08 Ducati Hypermotard
03 CR125
95 CR250
83 Husqvarna 125 XC
73 Maico MX250
robertg

Post by robertg »

What kind of a tank is that, and how does it fit? I have a Clarke 3.1 and I don't like the way the shrouds fit around it.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

very nice
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

The tank is a clark 3.1 I like the way every thing came to together as far as the fit. The white power forks were what I was planning to run. I have hard parts forks, super slick, plush with great bottoming resistance. The clamps I just enlarged a little to fit the forks, but when I claps the fork the wheel was not even close to turning. It would start rubbing and I still had three inches left in the travel. The forks were same except the axle was closer to the center of the wp than the Hondas. Didn't take that in to consideration before spending 5 hours milling out clamps. I don't like the lower radiator hose going between the radiators rubbing on the motor. I also put the 1993 cr250 cd flywheel and rewound the stator because the spark looked weak. tried to start it at the shop with no boot tonight and it just back fired with about ten kicks. Tomorrow is the first test ride at the track, might have to pull start it, I think it's on the rich side, 55 pilot clip pulled up and 185 main. Should have the suspension that I plan on running from rg3 by the end of next week. I'll post some pics of the finished product when the suspension arrives. I'll give some feed back after tomorrow, I'm going to speed world and I have logged many hours on that track aboard my ktm505 ktm300SX husaberg550 not to mention three worcs races there. cheers
homebuilt

Post by homebuilt »

awesome looking bike! i have a 05 crf 450 that i'm putting a 86 motor in where can i get a preformed hose to go from the water pump to rear of the jug?
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Bike looks great but I'm wondering how that head mod is supposed to work. How can the coolant circulate if you have the 2 into 1?
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Holy shit! Someone actually received a TTM bike?

kidding aside - looks good man! You're gonna like that 93 CR250 ignition! :cool:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

'86 motor + 250 ign = :shock: :twisted:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

Just got back from the track. First thing I noticed is I was behind the bike[ when you learn to fly a plane they always use that term, behind the plane]. Hitting the inside rut not a problem, braking to soon and turning to soon was. I'm still stuck in the four stroke body position and thinking.The bike can carve, very impressed. Super light in the air and very predictable. Give credit where credit is do ttm chassis is great. Every thing bolted up perfect and the handling was perfect. Would I suggest going with ttm, no to many lies, to much bull shit. Now the ugly part, I could never get it kick started, had to pull start every time. The pick up was super close It had great spark. When I did get it started it pinged in the mid real bad, I pulled the needle up to it's last notch, that helped but still needed more went to a 60 pilot and 190 main [41 pkw], air screw 2 .2 turns out. Ran alot better but still couldn't start it by kicking really didn't try to hard didn't want to ware my self out. After one tank of fuel the bike died, check the spark and it was weak and the plug was silty black. At the start of the day there was good spark, [stator, cdi box?] . I'm 6 foot 200lbs, I'm thinking may I should have gone with a 450 frame, it was hard to stand up on, I'm going to get different pegs that are down and back and mover to some more forward bars to open up the compartment. I ran 14-48 gearing I'm thinking a 45 on the rear so there is less shifting and more feathering, first thing is to get the ignition right then try it again before making to many changes. First ride was a success and very happy, with some fine tuning I think it will be right there with the 450s Any ideas on the ignition, and if I need a new one, whats the best there is, only want to do this once cheers
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I gotta ask how the carb/shock spring, airboot works out with the '87 jug + boot, my pipe (fatty) would plow into the reed block on a 87 jug so bad i couldnt use it, had to go with a short reed style. a pc would have cleared mine, but the reed boot angle of the '86 one i had was directly into trouble
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

I'm running the boysen and pc pipe. I looked and theres about 1\4 to 3/8s between the intake and about 1\2 to 3\4 from the pipe to the spring. But it is a bitch to get the air box put on the carb and shock, real tight.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Who made the Rads?
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

ttm made the radiators, They were crf250 about 05, they worked good yesterday and fit good just don't like the cross over at the bottom, it rubs the head. I thinking about the vibration yesterday, I spent $800 to dynamically balance the crank, it had about the same amount of vibs as when it was in the steely, maybe it's the aluminum frame. At just off idle it had alittle bit then smoothed out, the steely was consistent vibs and not any worse or better than the af. I raced a ktm300sx last year, been on the same track a 1000 times same corners, the af 125 would steer circles around the ktm in the corners, considerably more precise intering the corners and and mid corn, no pushing out. the 300 had about the same bottom end pull but sliding in a super soft corner in third with slight embankment the 300 would bog even with perfect feathering of the clutch. the af I could drop the clutch and it would blow up the corner not the quickist way but looks cool.
high velocity

Post by high velocity »

I had the same problem starting my bike with the 96 cr 250 ign. The eletrix stators had a lot of issues. I also thought my jetting was off. Replaced the stator with a rickey stator, and now my bike starts 1st kick hot or cold.Also the timing plate on the bottom of the stator where the bottom bolt goes thru and is held on by a phillips screw, flip that plate so the number 3 is facing outward and that will give you the correct timing.
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

That my friend is some good news and info'm trying to buy a 96 cr250 ignition off ebay right now. I will check with Ricky and see If i can buy one.That info sure is helpful, do you know of a way to check if the stator or cdi is bad except for just swapping them out? Also the stator has to have a certain amount resistance for the cdi, I think the guy here in town i had rewind it didn't do it right.
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

Home built, this week I'm going to tear it down, I will check for the # on the hose, it's from a auto parts store, perfect fit and bend, like it was made for the bike.
high velocity

Post by high velocity »

The only way to test the box is to swap it out with a known good stator off a running bike. Im not shure what resistance but if you find a honda manual that should have the resistance for the stator. My 2 junk stators checked out good with the restiance but i could not get the bike to start verry well.They also had a weak spark.
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

Do you know anything about the Vortex ignition for a cr250, I think it would be a good set up with on the fly switching, what are some thoughts on it.
homebuilt

Post by homebuilt »

thanks i will be anxiously waiting , i know i saw somewhere that there is a hose available from napa or something that fits perfect but i have searched high and low and can't find any other posts that talk about it. thanks again
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Bad ass bike, man.

I had starting issues also, especially when the engine had 0 hours.
I've been kicking thumpers since I was 12, but this was rediculous.
GSS modded my cylinder..... if the deck was cut any more, the piston would've been too close to the head.

I noticed that the fire seemed weak. It took a really good stab of the kicker to get a nice blue spark. So I knew that rotation was too slow.

Not to sound like a puss, but I installed a decomp valve and solved all the issues.
It took some time to figure out the perfect routine. Now after a few priming cycles, it'll bust off with one swift kick (hot or cold).
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
27maverick

Post by 27maverick »

My leg in about to fall off I have kick it so many times. When I went to the track I just push started and it would light right off. I check the kick starter and it seems to far down before it engages going to open it up and look at it. I emailed mike at votec about custom mapping his ignition so at start up the timing would be at top dead center and after running I would flip the two position switch on the handle bar a 250 mapping. Not sure if this is right because the pick up tabs on the fly wheels are different between the 250 and 500. I'll have to wait and see what he says. The first email I shot to him his reply was not what I wanted to hear [ it won't work because the soft rev-limiter and some thing about the unburnt gases putting pressure on the piston and pushing it in to the exhaust ports because the 250 doesn't retard enough at full throttle with no load, such as coming off a jump and on the gas hard just before you land] what ever, I just know it works better with that fly wheel and ignition and most importantly the less rotating mass of the whole system. I have looked at the decompression and from the pictures it looks kinda hokey, but if it works and that's the only way to get it fired up with this ignition then so be it sign me up.