CP CR500 Cylinder

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

im trying to see how that apaptor plate will work. its .400" thick. i guess the stock rear studs will still be used to hold the cylinder (obviously theyll need to be alittle longer) but the front ones will some how be used to only hold the plate, then seperat studs will come out of the plate and hold the front part of the cylinder.

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the front studs are probably removed and replaced with some allen head bolts that sit flush, or a little recessed, then studs coming out of the plate for the 2 front. atleast that is how most adapter plates I've seen work.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

dannygraves wrote:the front studs are probably removed and replaced with some allen head bolts that sit flush, or a little recessed, then studs coming out of the plate for the 2 front. atleast that is how most adapter plates I've seen work.
sounds about right
IDAHOBALLER

Post by IDAHOBALLER »

I am VERY interested in this cylinder setup! IF there will be a set up that will fit fine in my 2000 steely dune bike then I will be all over this.

I cant wait to hear one run, I bet its gonna sound SOOO pissed off!!! Man I love big bore smokers...
stu460

Is that thing iron lined,or chrome bore..

Post by stu460 »

im all for more cc,s..97mm whats that punch it out to?
RideRed

Post by RideRed »

Talk is cheap. Someone here needs to buy one. :wink:
NightBiker07

Re: Is that thing iron lined,or chrome bore..

Post by NightBiker07 »

stu460 wrote:im all for more cc,s..97mm whats that punch it out to?
106mm. BUT there isnt a piston that big available
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
redrider

Post by redrider »

CR500s already make my dick hard. This makes me feel like borat's caged brother right now. Im gonna get one and hump the shit out of a supermoto with it. Brilliant!
I'd rather be hauling ass
CR500R7

Re: Is that thing iron lined,or chrome bore..

Post by CR500R7 »

stu460 wrote:im all for more cc,s..97mm whats that punch it out to?

97mm X 79mm = 583.8 cc. Not to shabby.
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
MICK

Post by MICK »

It sounds half assed to me :?

I've priced my next motor build @ $1200 in parts and labor alone...shipping not included. Not that I intend it to be a 90hp motor or anything...it should be dangerously fast non the less.

So we're talking $1400 for this CP cylinder and you aren't going to have a viable engine? We don't know if it'll fit in a chassis yet, currently no pipes available, no reed valves to speak of at this time, and what carb to use is debatable as well?? This is going to be a +$2,000 project from the time you begin until you can compete on Sunday again.

Cudos for their work and development so far. But before my dick gets hard on a product like this it better come complete. Cylinder, head, piston, pipe and reed valve ought to come shipped to my door as a package ready to install. Currently I see a $1400 paper weight...

...I don't even know why they would offer a big bore cylinder without a matching pipe in the first place?? Lets not be ignorant, this cylinder has the potential of being a poor running 65 hp big bore. My memory flashes of numerous big bore kits for the KX500 that were awful. IMO they have a long way to go yet before they can provide us with a real world improvement over Honda.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

MICK wrote:It sounds half assed to me :?
hillclimbers, hard core duners and drag qauds are about the only people a 583cc cylinder will appeal to. last i checked you were none of those mick :lol: . you cant build this thing with off the shelf parts from walmart.... hence it will probly seems half ass to some people.

I've priced my next motor build @ $1200 in parts and labor alone...shipping not included. Not that I intend it to be a 90hp motor or anything...it should be dangerously fast non the less.
i understand completely. simplicity and convenience of getting parts on every street corner makes the honda stuff very appealing.
So we're talking $1400 for this CP cylinder and you aren't going to have a viable engine? We don't know if it'll fit in a chassis yet, currently no pipes available, no reed valves to speak of at this time, and what carb to use is debatable as well?? This is going to be a +$2,000 project from the time you begin until you can compete on Sunday again.
i wont speak for calvin but ill take a guess at what may have been his mind set. i think he tried to make everyone happy.... 2-wheel fans and qauds fans alike. problem is its impossible to please everyone. honestly i think that cylinder is tailored more for the drag racing qaud guys, they wont have the space limitations that a 2-wheel chassis has, there for the cylinder can be made as large as needed for maximum performance. i believe there has been some shops developing pipes, actually i wouldnt be suprised if theres already a pipe... made for qaud chassis. taking the dimensions and bending it to fit a dirtbike chassis is childsplay for a competant pipe shop. theres plenty of reed valves, it uses arctic cat vforce3, could probly also use vforce2 if thats what you prefer. im quit sure boyesen makes reeds for arctic cat aswell bit im not positive. at this time i have no answer on the carb, calvin said hes working on the intake maifold but he didnt tell me any more than that, i would bet it for the lectron. kiehin would be alittle small to fuel a 583cc but maybe a kiehin manifold is in the works.
Cudos for their work and development so far. But before my dick gets hard on a product like this it better come complete. Cylinder, head, piston, pipe and reed valve ought to come shipped to my door as a package ready to install. Currently I see a $1400 paper weight...
i dont see it ever being a complete package. i think you have a misconception that its some kind of plug and play setup that was specifically designed for a few hundred steely cr500 riders. mick, i think your more of the cookie cutter type that needs off the shelf mass produced parts that can be purchased at the local dealer...... this new cylinder setup is 180 degrees oposite of that :lol:
...I don't even know why they would offer a big bore cylinder without a matching pipe in the first place?? Lets not be ignorant, this cylinder has the potential of being a poor running 65 hp big bore. My memory flashes of numerous big bore kits for the KX500 that were awful. IMO they have a long way to go yet before they can provide us with a real world improvement over Honda.
why would fmf offer pipes but no cylinder ?? well because fmf is a pipe shop, not a cylinder factory. CP makes cylinders, not pipes. theres plenty of pipe shops that will have pipes for it, i know of 2 right off hand. the only way it will be a poor running 65hp is if you put the carb on backwards and forget to install the spark plug....... its gonns be a runner you can believe that. ever seen any other CP cylinders run ??? ask danny and brit how the CP cylinders run, they been smoked by a few at dumont :lol:
MICK

Post by MICK »

100% agree with everything you said...I'm most def a cookie cutter Wally World guy :lol:

I wouldn't expect CPI to provide a pipe per'se, but like you said, have a custom shop someplace develop one for them that they offer. Sounds like they're tracking that.

Clyde, my view on this is it looks eerily like the big bore and stroker kits I wasted money on my KX years ago. Turns out increasing each without compensating elsewhere doesn't make a motor run a shitting bit better...for ST or MX anyways. In each of my experiences, 547 big bore or 551 stroker kits were a disaster...atleast they didn't perform as advertised. It seems as though simply increasing the bore and or stroke isn't necessarily MORE of a good thing. But I understand these lyger motors will probably never see these applications.

Still think the idea is cool...just incomplete. When I can buy a CPI cylinder at McDonalds "I'll have a #500 please...and BIGGIE size it.", then I'll be happy :nanna:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

personally i think theyre reasonably priced but at the moment i cant afford it...... hopefully soon. the liger may lure a few new folks into the cr500 world, which may inspire honda to keep producing parts just that much longer..... its a win win for everyone if you ask me. alot of bikes have fizzled out over the years but the cr5 seems to still be going strong.... calvin also felt that way or he would of never invested time and money into new cr500 stuff. s/h is another bunch of folks keeping the torch lite :cool:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Long live the CR500. :cool:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
homenf

Post by homenf »

Any step made to keep up the development of the mighty two-stroke is great to me. More and more companies and consumers are giving up on them. I can't wait to see this on a hillclimber when the bugs are worked out.

Future youtube video: Cr500 vs CR585 dragraces. :o