Older engines Vs. New?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
boostdoctor

Post by boostdoctor »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:i'm going to say its way easier to ride the long rod engines, the short rod one in my '88 is so dammn rangy its hard to know where the power is coming in, but when its extended for on the hill its revvedup for clutch dump anyways. I know that if i want a good scare i get on the field with that bike and no extention. i might hate the short rod in an AF, but it should be tried, and then i can switch the 525 jug to a long rod + tall deck case if i need.
So, I'm assuming that a 525 is a 92mm bore. What piston and sleeve are you using?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i'll get you a part # for the piston, its a wiseco made for a rotax aplication, have to modify the intake window + cut some off the skirt to clear the case windage, also to use a stock stroke the jug must be cut on the top + bottom to bennifit on port timing + correct for the pin height difference of 4mm, of course a guy could just add stroke + run it bigger but i dont want to get too much $ tied up in it. the piston is special order as qty of 8 from wiesco, so if i screw it up i want to just slam another stock spec jug on the cases + ride.

I didnt really give up on the 550, its just that i'm building that '81 cr450 to run in the 450cc class and that'll take up this winters build fund. going to run a 2002 seat,tank+shrouds, probably stock '02 250 pipe + silencer to try, the stock 81 stuff is shared with the 250 of that year aswell as the reed +carb.

The cuz is going to be arround for a few climbs, but i hardly rode my af, the '87 went out the lane and back a couple of times, the '88 got an early spring ride, the '00 an afternoon at the fordville climb, and the '99 3 rides. might aswell use up some spare honda stuff to finish this bike + do another to use up the extra engine before steppin into a ktoom
4Z

Post by 4Z »

boostdoctor wrote:
Roostius_Maximus wrote:i'm going to say its way easier to ride the long rod engines, the short rod one in my '88 is so dammn rangy its hard to know where the power is coming in, but when its extended for on the hill its revvedup for clutch dump anyways. I know that if i want a good scare i get on the field with that bike and no extention. i might hate the short rod in an AF, but it should be tried, and then i can switch the 525 jug to a long rod + tall deck case if i need.
So, I'm assuming that a 525 is a 92mm bore. What piston and sleeve are you using?
Now there's the right question!
boostdoctor

Post by boostdoctor »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:i'll get you a part # for the piston, its a wiseco made for a rotax aplication, have to modify the intake window + cut some off the skirt to clear the case windage, also to use a stock stroke the jug must be cut on the top + bottom to bennifit on port timing + correct for the pin height difference of 4mm, of course a guy could just add stroke + run it bigger but i dont want to get too much $ tied up in it. the piston is special order as qty of 8 from wiesco, so if i screw it up i want to just slam another stock spec jug on the cases + ride.

I didnt really give up on the 550, its just that i'm building that '81 cr450 to run in the 450cc class and that'll take up this winters build fund. going to run a 2002 seat,tank+shrouds, probably stock '02 250 pipe + silencer to try, the stock 81 stuff is shared with the 250 of that year aswell as the reed +carb.

The cuz is going to be arround for a few climbs, but i hardly rode my af, the '87 went out the lane and back a couple of times, the '88 got an early spring ride, the '00 an afternoon at the fordville climb, and the '99 3 rides. might aswell use up some spare honda stuff to finish this bike + do another to use up the extra engine before steppin into a ktoom
So basically...the cylinder wouldn't need much machining if used with a long rod in a early case?

Nice projects. Keep us posted with your progress.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the rod wont effect the jug at all, the pistons pin height is the snag, going to have to cut the jug to sit the porting down lower and match where the piston is at the bottom of its stroke.
I'd like to make it rangy like unreal with a shortrod, but expect too much skirt load at that bore size, and the -4 pin height could easily get the piston in the way of the crankwheels with a shortrod, which i havent even looked at yet.
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

This is the kind of post i like keep on giving info :cool:
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

My 85's hurt me a few times with the sudden burst of power, I did just come off a 250 and was still riding the 500 like that though. lots or rear fenders and bars that year..lol my 86 was a little more tame and by the time I got to 88's, I was looking for more power.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

525 piston on the right, pinned with a new style standard bore wiseco.
the 2 small piston ports will be opened larger + the intake window needs to be 1/2" taller yet too. its 484 grams un modified, will be about 6 grams lighter, maybee more if i get creative

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cool:
that window is in the perfect spot too, just open that bitch up!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

why only 525 brotha ? i can see the part of not wanting to invest too much money but you only live once. whats that saying- go BIG or go home :D . i thought of something similar for mine a while back but i wasnt going to fool around with anything under about 540cc. eventually i said hell with that idea and got the ktm instead. either way good luck. sounds like it should work fine :cool:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

It could deffinately be stroked, I have a crank that needs rebuilding too, and I wouldn't need to cut the jug but space it taller and I think it got to 560cc.
I have a set of cases that could be modified too, but then there's the $ end of things.

I'd have to build a pipe, bigger carb, different air intake, all that.

Here I'm recovering the use of a jug I have that otherwise needs a sleeve, if I scuff this piston that's special order in batches of 8, that's 1300$ for another to make that queer stroke deal work, if this combo that will run ok on a gnarly + bored carb, all I gotta do is thro another jug on the standard cases+ run it same day kinda thing
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Your only going to get so much air through that single reed block.... at some point, adding cc's isnt going to matter.

Look at the flow area of the TWO Banshee reed blocks (feeding 350cc's), compared to the single 500 one....

Your hitting the wall....
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

That's right.
I have a big pair of rotax mikunis too + looked at modifying the jug to take the 1000 rotax intake that's a fair bit bigger.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, 500 intake and reeds are tiny by comparison only because the motor wasn't designed for high rpms
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

not enought air flow you say has anyone done any flow bench work on a standard barrell to see how much they do flow can it be done i have no experiance with that sort of stuff so i dont know if a 2 stroke can be flowed
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

glen says he flows them, everyone else says they cannot be flowed...
look at a cr250 reed block compared to the cr500... the 500 isn't much larger.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
britincali

Post by britincali »

You dont need huge intakes when running some kind of forced induction :D
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

word is a new superflow SF-450 was loaded on a truck yesterday and is headed north :wink:

http://www.superflow.com/Flowbenches/sf450.html
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

britincali wrote:You dont need huge intakes when running some kind of forced induction :D
:twisted:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

When you guys figure out how I can make more uncontrollable wheelspin let me know.
03 CRF450/85 500
britincali

Post by britincali »

nmdesertrider wrote:When you guys figure out how I can make more uncontrollable wheelspin let me know.

Nitrous and a knobbie.

Simple as that.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

I think my 87 was faster then the 97, both in a conversion. Funny though, the 87 is for sale in great condition but people are hesitant to buy/use it in an AF because of the tight plumbing..... :?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

tight plumbing, carb boot, kicker, corroded waterpump housing and smaller rear bushings...
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

My AF carb boot/fit swaps between the 87 and 97 no problemo, Kicker [Ccurrent model] hit peg at the bottom but the kicker on my 97 hits the break pivot bolt, water pump housing is good, motor was rebuilt last winter and the rear bushing has been enlarged for current steelie or conversion fit. :)
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

and this motor is for sale?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80