Thoughts on this buy

Recount your rebuilds here!
wick246

Thoughts on this buy

Post by wick246 »

Hi all, looking at this CR 500 with extra frame and engine for sale locally.

Here is the ad:

"1995 CR500 on a 99 frame

I have an extra frame that is a 1995 cr 500 the frame that the bike is on is a 1999 I have 2 front tires on rims and a rear nob tire on rim with sprocket and disk brake and 2 paddle tires one is on rim with sprocket and disk brake. Also comes with a extra motor in crate and gas tank & misc plastics."

I really wan't a '500 steelie to ride and want extra parts for a future AF project but I still have a lot to learn about these.
They say the '95 frame has a title but the '99 that is a running bike does not have a title but is currently registered. Not at all sure what that means. Anyways they are asking $1900 for all - just wondering the pros and cons of this deal. Have a look at the pics and tell me what you see.
Thanks...

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

youll have a few extra parts to sell and recoup some money. whats the extra engine in the crate look like... is it blown up, complete running engine, or just a bunch of parts ?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

get it and worry about what to do with it later
wick246

Post by wick246 »

100hp honda wrote:youll have a few extra parts to sell and recoup some money. whats the extra engine in the crate look like... is it blown up, complete running engine, or just a bunch of parts ?
No idea. I assume it needs to be rebuilt (or worse) or it would still be in the '99 frame. I shouldn't be looking to buy anything but I'll send another email to the seller and see what happens. Did the '99 have any advantages over the '95?
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:get it and worry about what to do with it later
That's just the sort of advice that lead me to end up with 3 CR500s in 30 days....

:shock:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Disturbed wrote:
Roostius_Maximus wrote:get it and worry about what to do with it later
That's just the sort of advice that lead me to end up with 3 CR500s in 30 days....

:shock:
and theres something wrong with that?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

anytime you deal with a bike thats 15years old, you can almost assume thats its going to need some attention, not always but usually. alot of guys run their shit until the ragged edge of failure, they they sell it to some unsuspecting customer to get it off their hands and avoid the costs or repair to keep it running. i would definatly go look at the bike before making any decisions, and take a look at that motor in the crate (im thinking the same as you, its probly a pile of junk parts because he blew it up). if the bike checks out and the crated motor is still useable then $1900 might be ok, but it definatly aint a deal of the century. on the other hand, a clapped out bike with a couple extra wheels and a crate of junk is worth virtually nothing. be cautious, or youll spend the rest of the summer wrenching and another $1000 to get the bike in good running order. dont forget about worn out wheel and swingarm bearings and seals, they add up real fast when you start replacing all that shit, and most guys dont grease the fuckin things so you can usually figure they are probly shot to hell.