Gen3 gas tank question

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
cr_denny

Gen3 gas tank question

Post by cr_denny »

Would anyone happen to know how the bigger IMS/Clark tanks are different than stock? What I mean is, do they hang that much lower between the spars than OEM, or is that they just hang over the sides of the spars to accomodate the extra volume.

My current OEM tank fit great with no modification, and I'd shell out the $ for an IMS (can't seem to find any decent used ones) but don't trust myself modding a $200+ investment if I had to.

If Bob has any luck getting the aluminum one, I'll get in line on that one.

Neil at Fluidyne told me he'd entertain the idea of building one given some time to catch up on his production runs.

I'd like to get an OEM or a desert tank scanned and could then build a CAD model with some drawings to float around to different fabricators...I'm still working on this one through a buddy of mine.
robertg

Post by robertg »

I bought a 3.1 gallon Clarke for my Gen III CR250 frame. I won't get it until next week. I'll post pictures when I get it.
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

i'm running the 3.2 clarke tank. i had to heat and mold the bottom of the tank. plenty of room for the plug, hoses, and headstays now. i can run a full length plug and still change it with ease.
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Its pretty easy to mold, even though mine was done when I got it I decided to mold it somemore around the head and do the plug somemore. $10 heat gun from Habor Freight on low setting and make sure you hold it 12-15 inches away. Take it slow in a larger circle than what you want to move. On my Natural tank I could tell it was ready to mold when the plastic turned to a glossy clear, almost see through. Other colors probably simlar as they should turn a high gloss.

As far as size goes my Clark is bigger up front and top, maybe under neith. When the shouds go back on there is a 1/4" gap near the top, where as that part of the shroud lays flat against the OEM tank. Its not even noticeable untell its looked at close, Plus your knees are a little farther apart.

Also get the tank foam, the stuff that comes in 2" cubes. It helps alot keeping the extra fuel from sloching around.

Oh and make sure you an extra rubber peice that goes under the cap, mine only last about a year. :?
robertg

Post by robertg »

I just got me Clarke 3.2. I had to heat it slightly around the plug. I should of did it more, but I ran out of time because I'm going riding tomorrow. It's a pretty tight fit around the coil and rad hose, and I have to remove the tank to change the plug. I don't care for the way the shrouds fit also.
m178

Post by m178 »

I have a clark on mine. I had to heat it up and push it in. I practiced on the stock tank first. It is not that hard, just don't get it too hot.
GEN4 500AF
2001 JR50 (daughters)