Recount your rebuilds here!

1996 questions

Post by 484 »

Looking at this bike.1996 cr500 here's his ad:
New plastic / Pro taper bars
New grips
New top end
New chain
New crank seal (crank seal will be finished installment by the end of the week)
Hydraulic Clutch / New clutches
Really Really Fast dirt bike

I haven't owned a 500 yet but I have been doing my homework. 96 had the bigger forks, is this correct? It's got the taller 4th and 5th gear which I want, that is the biggie for me. But what's with the hyd. clutch? I tend to hate hyd. clutches. And is crank seal replacement something that a jackass can mess up, because I'm pretty uptight about paying for someone else's "repair", know what I mean? I've heard about them being installed backwards, lol. Pix look clean and he is asking $1500, it sounds like a deal. It's only 80 miles from my house. What do you guys think?
j
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

get it, and sell me tht hyd clutch cheap :wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

For $1500, I'de be all over it...

Pick it up, and we'll suggest where you go from there.

Post by 484 »

just got off phone, nice guy. He has buddy who owns bike shop work on it, so he doesn't know too many details, but the shop owner used to own the bike so that makes me feel pretty good about it. The orig. cylinder had been bored and was pretty aggressive, so it has been resleeved and is stock bore. I know on other bikes resleeving is sketchy but the 500 has old school steel liner I think? Usually good for 4 rebores? It's a magura hyd. clutch, FWIW. Anyways, I think i am gonna jump on it. thanks for the replies.
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

For that price you would be crazy not to buy it. The cr 500 is the most dependable dirtbike motor ever built. I think you should sell the clutch to a canadian hoon. :wink:
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

My other cr500 had hydraulic clutch,it worked fine :cool:
CR500R
V-MAX 1200

Post by 484 »

alright men I bought it and you'll aint bullshitting, it's fast! First kick on cold engine it fires like a champ! Question, the swingarm and linkage bearings are knackered, which is expected. Any buying tips? DO I just buy the cheapest kits on ebay or are some of them junk? Anyone know what years will work? reading the ads they are all over the place on year compatability. on a good note the wheel bearings and steering stems are good. and if I may be bold enough to ask another question, why is there so much play in my rear brake pedal? Can the pedal be that worn out? My 97 yz125 pedal is tight as a drum on the pivot. The only one on ebay looks like mine, I'll keep looking.
thanks
j
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Things to do:

1. Pull the reed cage and the pipe to look at the piston. Cracks on the intake side and scoring on the exhaust need to be addressed. I dont care if the guy said he put a piston in it yesterday..... DO IT!

2. Take the bike all apart, and grease everything. Do youself a favor and only use Honda OEM stuff. IT FITS! Ask some others about ebay swing arm bearing kits..... disaster. Go register at Honda Parts Direct, and I'll hook you up with a discount program.

3. GO BUY GOOD GEAR! You will crash, and a CR500 will hurt you.... be prepared.

4. Get a REAL manual. Not a e-version..... not a Clymers.... a REAL one. $30 should do it.

5. Service the tranny often... like every 3rd ride minimum. Once the motor checks out fine, if you service the tranny.... this bike will run for YEARS with very little maintenance.

6. Check the radiators. Pop off the plastic louvers and get the bike pretty hot. Feel the whole surface of the radiators..... looking for any cold areas. Cold areas indicate no coolant flow, and need to be corrected.

Other than than... RIDE IT!!!! It should run trouble free for a loooooong time.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

AlisoBob wrote:Things to do:

1. Pull the reed cage and the pipe to look at the piston. Cracks on the intake side and scoring on the exhaust need to be addressed. I dont care if the guy said he put a piston in it yesterday..... DO IT!

2. Take the bike all apart, and grease everything. Do youself a favor and only use Honda OEM stuff. IT FITS! Ask some others about ebay swing arm bearing kits..... disaster. Go register at Honda Parts Direct, and I'll hook you up with a discount program.

3. GO BUY GOOD GEAR! You will crash, and a CR500 will hurt you.... be prepared.

4. Get a REAL manual. Not a e-version..... not a Clymers.... a REAL one. $30 should do it.

5. Service the tranny often... like every 3rd ride minimum. Once the motor checks out fine, if you service the tranny.... this bike will run for YEARS with very little maintenance.

6. Check the radiators. Pop off the plastic louvers and get the bike pretty hot. Feel the whole surface of the radiators..... looking for any cold areas. Cold areas indicate no coolant flow, and need to be corrected.

Other than than... RIDE IT!!!! It should run trouble free for a loooooong time.
Bob - you ought to sticky your post for all bike buyers. That some good, sound advice that will get people started out right with their new purchase.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little

Post by 484 »

. Take the bike all apart, and grease everything. Do youself a favor and only use Honda OEM stuff. IT FITS! Ask some others about ebay swing arm bearing kits..... disaster. Go register at Honda Parts Direct, and I'll hook you up with a discount program
now that's good info, thanks man! I will go there in a minute and register. I see we are on the same page maintenance and gear wise. My friends bet each other as to how soon I would have the triples and rear off( 20 hrs into ownership was the winner). And when I tell people to get the factory manual and not a clymer/haynes, they roll their eyes never knowing about false torque specs and incorrect capacities. Honda Parts Direct, huh? I'm there dude
thanks
j

Post by 484 »

dam. just called hondaparts-direct and they shut doors last thursday.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Yup, I called Friday and Craig told me that they were not selling Honda parts any longer. I ordered some stuff from SH since the HPD deal is no more.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

484 wrote:dam. just called hondaparts-direct and they shut doors last thursday.
:shock: Are you sure? the website is up and working and the phone message is the same.....

BOB?????
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

????

I emailed them, no repsonse.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

484 wrote:dam. just called hondaparts-direct and they shut doors last thursday.
that would explain why the website wasnt working yesterday. i placed 2 orders about 8 days ago and everything appeared fine. i think one of my orders was shipped out already, gonna check on the other one tonight but i hope i get all my parts before they totally go belly up. i ordered my last bit of parts from S/h honda last night. i thought honda parts was doing good, i ordered thousands of dollars of shit from them, maybe no one else was ordering much stuff :?
2strokes4ever

Post by 2strokes4ever »

can you give me his number
Two bangers, Guitar playing, Many beers

1996 CR500/2001 CR250 CONVERSION IN PROGRESS
2007 RM250
2010 Banshee
2004 CR 85