Obama’s Sotomayor Nomination: Identity Politics over Merit

Express YOUR point, no pissing matches.

List sources whenever possible!
redrocket190

Obama’s Sotomayor Nomination: Identity Politics over Merit

Post by redrocket190 »

In picking Sonia Sotomayor, President Obama has confirmed that identity politics matter to him more than merit. Judge Sotomayor is not one of the leading lights of the federal judiciary and would not even have been on the shortlist if she were not Hispanic.

She has a mixed reputation, with a questionable temperament and no particularly important opinions in over 10 years on the Second Circuit. Most notably, she was part of the panel that summarily affirmed the dismissal of Ricci v. DeStefano, where the City of New Haven denied firefighter promotions based on an admittedly race-neutral exam whose results did not yield the “correct” racial mix of successful candidates. Sotomayor’s colleague José Cabranes—a liberal Democrat—excoriated the panel’s actions and the Supreme Court will likely reverse the ruling next month.

If this is the kind of “empathy” the president wants from his judges, we are in for a long summer—and more bitter confirmation battles in the future.

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009/05/ ... ver-merit/
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

His energy guy isnt much better.....

US wants to paint the world white to save energy

LONDON(AFP) (AFP) – US Energy Secretary Steven Chu said Tuesday the Obama administration wanted to paint roofs an energy-reflecting white, as he took part in a climate change symposium in London.

The Nobel laureate in physics called for a "new revolution" in energy generation to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

But he warned there was no silver bullet for tackling climate change, and said a range of measures should be introduced, including painting flat roofs white.

Making roads and roofs a paler colour could have the equivalent effect of taking every car in the world off the road for 11 years, Chu said.

It was a geo-engineering scheme that was "completely benign" and would keep buildings cooler and reduce energy use from air conditioning, as well as reflecting sunlight back away from the Earth.

For people who found white hard on the eye, scientists had also developed "cool colours" which looked to the human eye like normal ones, but reflect heat like pale colours even if they are darker shades.

And painting cars in cool or light colours could deliver considerable savings on energy use for air conditioning units, he said.
Speaking at the start of a symposium on climate change hosted by the Prince of Wales and attended by more than 20 Nobel laureates, Chu said fresh thinking was required to cut the amount of carbon created by power generation.

He said: "The industrial revolution was a revolution in the use of energy. It offloaded from human and animal power into using fossil fuels.

"We have to go to a different new revolution that can severely decrease the amount of carbon emissions in the generation of energy."

I own 4 white vehicles, and the A/C blows 24x7 in every single one mutha' fuker....
Last edited by AlisoBob on May 26th, 2009, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

are these people fucking for real?! :roll:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

...or the proposed head of the NHTSA who was previously the head of MADD and a proponent of random checkpoints.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Omama gets 1 step closer to the grave everyday.... with appointments like these.....
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

As I said before, careful with that line of thought; the successor list behind him is even more scary:

1 Vice President and President of the Senate Joe Biden
2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi
3 President pro tempore of the Senate Robert Byrd
4 Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton
5 Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner
6 Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
7 Attorney General Eric Holder
8 Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar
9 Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack
10 Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke
11 Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis
12 Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius
13 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan
14 Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood
15 Secretary of Energy Steven Chu
16 Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
17 Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki
18 Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano
'87 CR500R / (2) '01 CR500R / '02 MPS CR500R AF / '06 XR650R / '06 XR650L / '01 XR400R / '01 FLHTCUI / '04 CRF 450R / '84 CR500R / '89 Transalp /'05 CRF450X / '02 XR200R
Jay Birdsong

Don't you know about the Bird?
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Anybody following the Money trail on Mr. Chu :idea:

Which companies stand to make the profit.

I bet he's as dirty as they come.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

jbird_710 wrote:As I said before, careful with that line of thought; the successor list behind him is even more scary:

1 Vice President and President of the Senate Joe Biden
2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi
3 President pro tempore of the Senate Robert Byrd
4 Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton
5 Secretary of the Treasury Timothy Geithner
6 Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
7 Attorney General Eric Holder
8 Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar
9 Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack
10 Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke
11 Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis
12 Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius
13 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan
14 Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood
15 Secretary of Energy Steven Chu
16 Secretary of Education Arne Duncan
17 Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki
18 Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano
Were all FUCKED
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I think obama does it on purpose. No one will assasinate him now... you'd have to kill atleast 20 people to see any improvement!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
redrider

Post by redrider »

dannygraves wrote:I think obama does it on purpose. No one will assasinate him now... you'd have to kill atleast 200000 people to see any improvement!
fixed it

All it takes is for good men to do nothing and that seems to be what is happening. The zombies are more persistent than us. I would think it would be the other way around.

Too bad there isn't any more unclaimed land, I would just start my own cuntry. But if this one can't make it then I don't know what would. We have all the tools necessary to be free and the zombies still win. This country was founded on the KISS principle, like 2 stroke riders enjoy, and the liberatards are building the governmental equivalent of a crf250 on the redline ready to pop at any time.

'Change' and 'Improvements' are just the opposite of what they seem. More money wasted and less reliability with decreased (or no increased) end user satisfaction. They just don't build them like they used to. (dirtbikes and governments)
I'd rather be hauling ass