Blowing Radiators

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
kevinp242

Blowing Radiators

Post by kevinp242 »

Alright guys this is a weird one. hahaha i have a 01 500af i have had it about 5 months. The first month i had it the right radiator sprung a leak, i replaced it with used radiator from ebay and is fine so far. I went out riding this weekend at the dunes and was heading back to the truck and it just lost all the coolant. So once i got home i added fluid and the left radiator is leaking from the fins. Both radiators were in good shape and fins were not smashed or nothing. Im wandering if its just poor quality parts or if there is a problem?

Thanks
Kevin
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Crank bearings.....

:blur:
kevinp242

Post by kevinp242 »

Why the main bearings?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

AlisoBob wrote:Crank bearings.....

:blur:

:blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur: :blur:

Vibration is whats cracking the radiators
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Have a real hard close look at the rads. They don't always leak from where its thought it may be.

Do you have the 1.1 cap or a 1.6?
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Did you crash on them or anything? For as hard as I flogged that bike, I never lost a drop of coolant or had the rads leak. Pretty weird.
kevinp242

Post by kevinp242 »

well the cap is a 1.1 And no i have not crashed on it or anything. I went through and rebuilt the top end. I really wanted to go through the bottom in but did not have the time. Im planning on going through it this winter and replace the crank and main bearings. But yea i know it is leaking from about a inch up on the radiator.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I would send them both to a reputable radiator shop. I have fontana raditor do 2 of mine for my 125 and they came back looking brand new for something like $60.
I've had some seriously jacked up bikes where the vibes were bad enough to make my feet go numb and I never cracked a rad. they are rubber bushed. make sure the aluminum buchings and washer are used on the rubber buchings, if you compress the rubber by not using the bushing, it defeats the purpose.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Marky went through two sets before he threw in the towel, and did his bottom end... No radiator issues after that.

Honda rads are among the best available. They dont crack without reason.