gone orange

Use some common sense ....
100hp honda

gone orange

Post by 100hp honda »

:lol: this is the first and last ktm ill ever have in my garage. its a big 2stroke so i couldnt pass it up. some dude down the street was selling it for pretty cheap so i snagged it. carb is way out of tune but its still a torquey mofo, and surprisingly the left hand kicker wasnt that big of an issue like i thought it would be. the boingers seem super stiff but might be ok if i mess with the clickers :lol:

JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Cool! What year is it?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

its '96. i think the graphics are aftermarket but im not sure. i dont know sqaut about ktm to be honest
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

one question. i decoded the VIN, it comes back as "motocross" model. was the MXC a motocross model ? i assumed it meant cross country or something. anybody know ?
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

I thought MXC was motocross and the XCW was woods.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

MojoScojo wrote:I thought MXC was motocross and the XCW was woods.
i think your right. theres 1000 different models through out the years, its hard to know what they all meen.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

heres some interesting literature. ive read alot of old shootout mags but ive never seen this one before. sounds like the KTM 550 sucked in every category..... except one :twisted: :twisted: .
i like this quote from the magazine... "for the record, in every drag race, motocross start or roll-on we did, the KTM plain walked away from the other three bikes". im hopeing mine makes for a killer dune machine. :cool:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

I know with the 300 mxc and exc one is a wide ratio tranny and the other one is a close ratio. Also the mxc can be used for moto or cross country!
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

MojoScojo wrote:I thought MXC was motocross and the XCW was woods.
MX=motocross C=close ratio, XC=cross country W=wide ratio. My guess. So do you have lights, and will it pull past 90 mph?
Last edited by redrocket190 on May 8th, 2009, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

When I raced mx, my arch rival rode one of those. We raced at a track called Hanagan raceway near Bellingham, and it had some long ass straights then broke into 1st gear type switches and S turns. I had his ass in the corners, but in the straights he would leave me like nothing. Put that engine in a Aluminium frame and you'd have that fatest best handling bike around.
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

That's a good point,why anybody did an AF conversion with this engine?

Stock it delivers 67 Hp more or less

I don't know if this bike have 08 tank and plastics or other frame

CR500R
V-MAX 1200
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

xtremeslide wrote:That's a good point,why anybody did an AF conversion with this engine?
because the kick starter and chain are opposite of honda, it would be impossible for me. just from looking at the motor im sure there would be many more obstacles as well.....its a cool thought though :lol:
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

If you did it, you'd be the only one with it. Where ther's a mill theres a way!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

hey EXTREMESLIDE, do you have a suggestion where i can get a OEM service manual ? do the older KTM manuals have all the torque specs and parts diagrams like the honda manuals, or do i need more than one manual ??
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

JBaze wrote:If you did it, you'd be the only one with it. Where ther's a mill theres a way!
i havent set it side by side next to my cr500, but the 550 appears to be a very robust motor, clutch uses 10 plates and the cylinder is fawkin HUGE, it would be a challenge to make it fit in a honda chassis. and like i said, everything is ass backwards (carb goes out the opposite side also). i dont have the capabilities or correct tools/machines to do something this complicated
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Oh c'mon!! :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

obviously you dont remeber what the 550 motor looks like. there would be ALOT of obstacles :lol:. fitting a V8 into a geo metro comes to mind
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I know. Just giving you some peer pressure! Those are kick ass machines though, as long as you don't have to rebuild em!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

actually alot of the parts are really cheap, but some are expensive....bikebandit has a micro phise i been looking at it alot last couple days. the piston, cylinder and crankcases are very expensive. most of the other parts are about the same as cr500 parts. one good thing, the cylinder is plated so it should theoretically never wear out if it has normal service intervals. it may need to be replated eventually but thats pretty cheap. i might pull mine apart and have a look to make sure everything is up to par
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

$700 for a new cylinder :shock: . hope mine never blows up :shock: :shock:. most the bearins, seals, and tranny gears etc are seem to be similiar to honda. honestly i think honda is ripping us off on their prices also :x
Last edited by 100hp honda on May 8th, 2009, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

I don't want to sound like a Nike ad but, JUST DO IT! :wink:
Go on you know you want to, don't ask me to bankroll you though. :lol:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i aint doing it. :lol: :lol: :lol: . i aint even going to think about doing it :lol:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

It would be COOL if you had the time and money to build something like
that, it would be unique.
One hell of a monumental task though. :wink:
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

100hp honda wrote:hey EXTREMESLIDE, do you have a suggestion where i can get a OEM service manual ? do the older KTM manuals have all the torque specs and parts diagrams like the honda manuals, or do i need more than one manual ??

All the torque specs are in the manual ,but my KTM is a 99

model,parts diagrams,etc.. i don't know if 93-94 models are the same,check out in

www.bikepics.com someguys have the same bike as you maybe they

have what you want for free
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

alittle mouse kept telling me to take it apart to see how everything worked. so i did :lol: :lol: . as i dissasemble the whole bike, i found the euro engineering is strange, and in some areas it was down right stupid :?. but i do like the port layout of this ktm cylinder, im wondering if it may have a good deal more power potential than the cr5 ? tomorow ill check port timing