Just Got It

Recount your rebuilds here!
KE 336

Just Got It

Post by KE 336 »

Going to try to post a picture for the first time.
Woohoo! Thanks for the instructions Bob, it worked.
Just got her yesterday. It was stored in a covered but open sided dog kennel for a couple of years as the plastic shows. spent yesterday cleaning the carb out and going over it. Had to get a new air filter today before starting it. I'll try to post a couple more pics soon.
Oh yeah, thinking I got a really good deal. Paid 1k for it.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

that looks like a hell of a deal :cool: . if you want some advice that might save you some headache down the road, ill bet the swingarm seals are dry rotted and no good, bearings probly dont have much grease on them. ive seen suspension seals dry rot over time also, brake fluid might be black, wheel seals, etc. give the entire bike a good look over before you take it out for a big ride, you dont want to be stranded. you got a good deal, so youll be able to afford to dump a few bucks into it if need be.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

100hp honda wrote: you got a good deal, so youll be able to afford to dump a few bucks into it if need be.
X2!
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

Here is the other side and a close up of the pipe. Planning to post some pics in the pipe repair thread when I get a chance to work the dent out.

Anybody need a spare air filter?

I'm not too worried about the overall condition of the bike as I bought it for a 03 450f conversion. I did pull the pipe and looked at the piston/cyl. and made a swab on a wire to reach in and wipe some oil around the inside before I ever cranked it.
I just thought about this, I'm legal to join that other site now. :lame:
How the hell am I anymore worthy now of being a member there than I was two days ago? :roll:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i can understand APs point, they have a couple thousand hoons that own a cr5. if they didnt have that rule, they would have 9000 knuckleheads posting garbage all day, it would be a nightmare for the moderators. this site hasnt been around long enough, but at some point it might turn into a circus :lol: . problem is, you get those idiots that join but have never riden a bike and just cause trouble and ask stupid questions
vhoney

Post by vhoney »

If you are ready to start taking it apart, I would like to buy your subframe if it is not bent and the threads for all the mounting points are good.

Please let me know if it is in good shape. I can paypal immediately.

Thank you.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

100hp honda wrote:i can understand APs point, they have a couple thousand hoons that own a cr5. if they didnt have that rule, they would have 9000 knuckleheads posting garbage all day, it would be a nightmare for the moderators. this site hasnt been around long enough, but at some point it might turn into a circus :lol: . problem is, you get those idiots that join but have never riden a bike and just cause trouble and ask stupid questions
I don't agree with that. The asswipes that are going to cause trouble can and will just lie about ownership and post away. I quit looking there when the outsiders could no longer see the pictures and you'll never see some of the funny shit over there that you will here.

vhoney, it's going to be a little while before I tear it down. Plan to do all my tuning before pulling the motor for the conversion and want to make sure that is successful before getting rid of anything.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

KE 336 wrote: vhoney, it's going to be a little while before I tear it down. Plan to do all my tuning before pulling the motor for the conversion and want to make sure that is successful before getting rid of anything.
Smart move...

Unknown motors used in A/F conversions can cause some head-aches....
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

I played with it some this afternoon. Started up second kick cold after 3 primer kicks. Sounds real good and got it to idle decent. I restarted it 4 times after I got it hot. 1st kick all 4 times. I did a search but couldn't find it, someone at sometime posted on here the starting routine. "kick slow just past TDC, raise back up and kick fast" or something to that effect. Who ever it was thanks because it works great. Kicking and kicking and kicking is best left to the 4 stroke fans!
My daughter has a race this weekend on Sunday. Saturday is open practice to anyone all day 8-10 mile loop. Planning to ride it a few laps and see how it goes.
xtremeslide

Re: Just Got It

Post by xtremeslide »

KE 336 wrote:Going to try to post a picture for the first time.
Woohoo! Thanks for the instructions Bob, it worked.
Just got her yesterday. It was stored in a covered but open sided dog kennel for a couple of years as the plastic shows. spent yesterday cleaning the carb out and going over it. Had to get a new air filter today before starting it. I'll try to post a couple more pics soon.
Oh yeah, thinking I got a really good deal. Paid 1k for it.
That Bike looks :cool: for 1000$
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

Well I got a chance to test the bike on Saturday. My last and only big bore two stroke up until now was a YZ490 I had back in 96. I've been on yz250s every since then. The track conditions were probably the worst for trying to see what the 500 would do. Hard black clay(think concrete) with a slight layer of crumbly shit on top. VERY SLICK! The bike made about 31/2 laps on a 10 mile loop with zero problems.I couldn't be more pleased with how the motor ran and after much reading on vibration I was expecting to feel that ,but I didn't notice much more than the 250s.
Gearing seemed tall, I would be grabbing gears much quicker on the 250.
I did stall it 3 times but it refired 1st kick every time and that was only me riding a gear too high in the tight stuff. The place it really shined was on steep uphills right after a tight turn. This thing just tractors right up!
It's kind of wierd, I never got on the pipe but you can tell you are haul'n ass without the bike breathing hard at all. I'm planning to take it out one more time in 2 weeks before pulling the motor. Hoping the dirt will be much better at the next track.
Oh yeah, it SUCKS as a pit bike!