Frame Components

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
rickyrcf

Frame Components

Post by rickyrcf »

I hope someone knows,

On a 2002 CR250r. The lower frame component between the footpegs. It appears to be solid, or billet. If it is I want to drill & tap holes in it to mount the skidplate. Can anyone tell me without any doubt?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

they do look solid but im not sure. maybe tap it with a hammer and see what kind of tone it has, that might say if its solid or hollow
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

You could drill it with a nice small bit to see.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

why not just use the L brackets these things come with?
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

id use the proper brackets because when you case this sucker out on a log or hard pack (depends on your riding disapline)...(oooooo what a filthy word) if theres not enough material there your going to shank or drag the nut in the frame and only flog it out. :twisted:
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

the gen3 i bought had the skidplate welded to the back in the area you're questioning.
I had no clamps for that after i cut it off, so i hit the mill, if oyu need some let me know. They're wide so they fit over the weld at the widest part + had the most clearence everywhere.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I'm pretty sure that's one, solid casting.
rickyrcf

Post by rickyrcf »

Adam, thoes look exactly like what I was thinking. I will let you know if they will work. If I can bolt it to the frame, I will have more room for the battery :shock:

Bob, thanks. It certainly LOOKS solid, I just thought I would try and get confirmation before I start drilling.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

typically skidplates come with the attachment brackets, that dont require drilling or welding. why you wanting to drill on the frame ?
rickyrcf

Post by rickyrcf »

I guess the first thing I will have to do after my rebuild, is learn how to post pic's.

In the interest of better handling and mostly, less fatigue, I am putting the coil,cdi,and battery between the skid plate,(carbon fiber) and the engine. There is lots of room. This will take 2lbs 4oz and lower it 20 inches, and move it from as far as 20" in front of center, and 10" behind center, to center. I think it will be noticible. Only time will tell.
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

some of Destry Abbott's KX500's had the skidplates welded to the frames....but they were steel of course. Not sure I would want to go that route with an aluminum chassis. If you do, be sure to use inserts.
CR500AC widget maker
rickyrcf

Post by rickyrcf »

Shanman, what do you mean by inserts? I was just going to drill & tap for maybe 2 8mm bolts, if that part of the frame is indeed solid.