gettin ready widowmaker 09

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
dahondaboy

gettin ready widowmaker 09

Post by dahondaboy »

this is the new build for this years widow climb. i have ran the 0-700 4 years now so i think its time to up the ante into the open class. its a cbr900rr into my 88 cr500 frame, just gettin her lined up to build the cradle. i want to build a cage style unit that i can unbolt from the cr frame at three points that way if the motor has to come out i dont have to spend half the day like my xs. it will drop straight down and out. i really need to find a wiring harness with the cdi though so if any of you guys run acroos a 92-94 harness let me know. i have the coils, and fuel pump already but the bike i got it from had the cdi CUT out(bastards) i hate it when people just cut stuff out dont they know it unplugs? lol!!

i dont own assault rifles, i own homeland defense rifles!!!!
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

by the way for those of you running steelies, i would seriously consider drilling some drain holes in the bottom of your frame because when i chopped out the cradle, like a full cup of water came out of it and it was quite rusty in there.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

That is going to be badass!!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

I was hoping that I could get away with not extending the upper backbone but it isnt gonna happen. the front tire as it is will hit the oil filter under full compression so it will have to have at least 3 inches added to it. but thats okay I guess., it will give me more room to mount the radiator. and let me mount the mill a little higher for more ground clearance.
the only thing i hate about cbr's is the carb setup they are set in at almost a 40 degree angle so there will not be any way of putting lectron carbs on it. the fcr's will have to do.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

our 929 engine going into the 91 500 frame has big trouble at the throtle bodies, how tall are the carbs on that one?
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

ya that was one of my primary concerns when lining it up, they will fit but the air filters will be stickin way up lookin really really funky. there will only be like 3/8" between the backbone and the top edge of the carbs. this is a 93 motor so it has the carbs not the throttle body injection i think they are a little shallower than the t.b.'s i am not using the stock type filter, i will have an adapter to use uni pods instead.
hey roost, do you have any pics you can pm me of your cbr build? i would love ya forever if you sent em to me!
:cool:
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Nice!!! :cool:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i havent taken a picture even, the engine arrived in a tote friday and its gettin stripped right now
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

ahhh i see, meybye we can help each other out, i will post pics along the way. what do you have in mind for building the frame out of? i plan on using tube steel in various diameters 1/2" and 3/4" i would love to use aluminum but i dont have a tig welder anymore
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the boys want to use this 91 frame, id rather have a 500 in it and fab the frame for the cbr engine.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

extending the backbone: i found this schedule 40 tubing at work that fit perfectly (with encouragement from my 16 pound sledge) inseted it 2-1/2" into each side. before cutting thabackbone i made three alignment lines so it lined up perfectly. then used a straightedge to ensure correct alignment.
Slomo

Post by Slomo »

I thought Lectron made adapters to mount then to downdraft engines??
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

huh, i didnt know i will have to check out f.b.g. see if i can find some. thanx!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

awesome bike dude. im in your neck of the woods, maybe ill come take it for a spin when its done. if you dont mind :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

our 750 frame couldnt be exteded like that, we had to make a dogleg in it to keep the fork angle and ride height correct
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

ya i had to dogleg my xs650 frame too , made fitting a tank a pain in the ass.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

The little chinese bikes have a honda 70f knock-off tank, shrouds and everything fit. I got one for the 750 before, and have one for this, but need shrouds yet. 10.00 a pair for orange, white, green, yellow or red

prepare yourself for another giant picture...........

dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

hell ya thats an awesome idea!! those china bike ARE good for something after all lol!!!! shoot i might retrofit a set of the blue ones to my xs too.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

i got the rear motor mounts done today. i made a z shaped mount that should be plenty sturdy. i just need to make a simple front dual downtube subframe that bolts on and off easily. i should have the frame part done saturday and then onto wiring, FUN (not!) :roll:
and then carbs. still lookin for a decent priced wiring harness
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

have you got enough fork spring to hold that tank up?
it likely gets really low doesnt it? the extention we made went in as a horizontal piece so that the fork angle and height of footpeg remained the same.
I just had to build a wireharness for the shaft drive suzuki 750 in my buddies "go cart", the same guy with the cb750 bike and the 929.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

i am actually gonna do the mod i did to my 650 where i cut part of another spring off and added it on top of the existing springs with a washer seperating them, it acts like a progressive spring giving more preload . it actually worked quite well on the 650. and this cbr motor dont weighs about the same. as for the angle it stayed the same all it did was change the front ride hight which you want lower on a climber anyway.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

pretty cool :cool: . when do you figure it will be done ?
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

it all depends on when i can find a cdi box for a 93. i will have the frame finished on saturday and the carbs and plumbing by next wednesday. that just leaves wiring. the exhaust only takes a couple hours. and plastics wont take long at all. so hopefuly by april for sure
bwh998

Post by bwh998 »

pm sent about the wire harness for the cbr.
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

i found this on craigslist its the same year motor i am building on.
i really like the way they built the cradle they must have a tubing bender lucky bastards!

http://montana.craigslist.org/mcy/1061082461.html
although it looks like theres no gettting the motor out without cutting it i can see the cradle goes around the sides and botttom up to the gooseneck.
i made mine so the front cradle bolts on in 3 points to drop the motor out quick..