Things that make me go "Hmmmmm" Part Deux....

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Skidmark

Things that make me go "Hmmmmm" Part Deux....

Post by Skidmark »

OK, this is not related to 500cc 2-stroke motorcycles...though it is engine related.

To reduce pre-ignition issues....why do you lower the compression ratio when turbo charging an engine? Wouldn't running a lower boost level acomplish the same thing?

If say a motor with a stock compression ratio and 8 psi of boost has a combustion pressure of "X" and a motor with a lower compression ratio but running higher boost pressure....though still having the same combustion pressure of "X". I've been told the stock compression ratio motor will tend to be more succeptable of pre-ignition. Pressure is pressure right? And if the combustion pressures are the same between the two motors wouldn't the HP and torque peaks be the same??

Any Geniuses out there who can help me ??

MAHALO!!

"Skiddy"
I'd rather be riding right now!!!

1982 CBX six, 04 XB12S Lightning, 91 XR100R, 03 Yosh DRZ450S, 74 DT250A, 80 CR125R, 79 Husky CR390, 02 RM250, 07 LTZ90, 75 914 2.0, 08 Tundra5.74x4
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

first off, are we talking 4 stroke?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Theres alot of factors in place here

Are you comparing stock engines?

The camshafts made for boost applications that have a tighter overlap, hold more compression in so it would make more power at 6psi, than an engine with a camshaft meant for naturally aspirated

whatever you are working on, keep the compression, buy a water or water/methanol injector system for it which allows you to boost even more than an inter or after cooler and is the mose efficient thing you can do to draw power from boost.
FJO Racing has the best one, but AEM also released one lately, both are stand alone systems and digital. A place like theblowershop will have mechanical water injection also.

if you have an engine making 650hp at the max of its fuel load, but the engine can take more, a water injector will "cushion" the burn allowing you to add more timing, or crank up the boost and can achieve another 150-200hp
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

More boost = more oxygen = more power.

High compression + boost = BOOM!
(actually sounded more like a can of fairing bolts fell down the intake.)
This is what happens when you think you have 10:1 and you actually have 13:1 and add 10lbs of boost.
This motor survived a few dyno runs, and then made it about 10 miles. 190 whp.

Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

thats decent! I've seen guys make pistons to vapor, there wasnt a sign of them left in the engine, just the pins in the rods, and a coating of aluminum thru the header.
~Trever

Post by ~Trever »

back when I worked on honda rice we moved away from lowering compression and eventually started raising it on turbo motors. We had the best luck with around 11to1 with moderate boost maybe 8-12.
2003 crf450r
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

I'm still not seeing a good explanation as to why people go through the expense of lowering compression ratios instead of simply lowering boost pressures. Equal cylinder pressures should equal same HP numbers.

"Skiddy"

1982 CBX six, 04 XB12S Lightning, 91 XR100R, 03 Yosh DRZ450S, 74 DT250A, 80 CR125R, 79 Husky CR390, 02 RM250, 07 LTZ90, 75 914 2.0, 08 Tundra5.74x4
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

Skidmark wrote:I'm still not seeing a good explanation as to why people go through the expense of lowering compression ratios instead of simply lowering boost pressures. Equal cylinder pressures should equal same HP numbers.

"Skiddy"
You cant burn more fuel with out more air!

Less boost = Less air = Less fuel burned = LESS POWER
Last edited by Nodge on February 3rd, 2009, 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
britincali

Post by britincali »

My truck threw two rods out the side of the block due to high boost and to much timing, you gotta love know it all tuners :roll: :roll: :roll:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:My truck threw two rods out the side of the block due to high boost and to much timing, you gotta love SHITTY FORD POWDERED RODS
britincali

Post by britincali »

Shitty rods + Shitty mail order tune + shitty brain dead dyno guy = boom.

Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Nodge wrote:
Skidmark wrote:I'm still not seeing a good explanation as to why people go through the expense of lowering compression ratios instead of simply lowering boost pressures. Equal cylinder pressures should equal same HP numbers.

"Skiddy"
You cant burn more fuel with out more air!

Less boost = Less air = Less fuel burned = LESS POWER
Obviously, but you missed the "combustion pressures being equal" part of the equation.

"Skiddy"

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

:lol:

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

you gotta love SHITTY FORD POWDERED RODS[/quote wrote:
Hey dont be tricked now on the powdered metal stuff. with the excusion of some diesel engines Every GM, ford, and chrysler product 1996+ has them, many import brands before that, Johndeere, Case, Cat and other brands get into it aswell.
I have stock car classes where we have to use a "stock" rod, the GM PM rods are good, they dont need bushings to float the pin, they take alot of shock, and alot of my guys are turning these engines 7400+ for entire 25-30 lap races. I ran a set for years in a 500hp smallblock that i also threw 175hp of nitrous at.
Sorry ford guys this is where the tears start falling, the 5.4 series engine and others that share that design have crap design for the rods, and basiacally the rest of the engine, seems like ford had a little relapse into their flathead days and made everything dainty for economy, but the whole engine is shit. The rod is probaly less than 1/2 the size of a gm 5.3 rod. The camshafts on stock engines with high mileage and frequent oil changes still wear into the cap that holds them on the head and loose oil pressure. There is no bearing, just the cam (a tube about 1"dia with lobes swedged into place) running on the head casting.
Carol Shelby must be slipping a bit to put his name on anything with such a junker engine.

Back on the boost deal, I've got a guy running 12:1 with 18lbs boost on pump fuel and water injction on the street. The 614 dodge i did for a "ice cream trip" 69 charger has 10.5:1 and 16lbs boost and is expected to dyno 1200hp on the street tune with water.
I dont have a logical explination of why guys build less compression today, other than possibly thats the only performance piston on the shelf?. Intercooled and aftercooled you can run the big squeeze, but most guys just throw boost at it and expect it to live. Water injection doesnt need either rediculously inefficient cooler, saves a pile of room and recently has become less $ than the other systems.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

100hp honda wrote::lol:
I lol'd at my engine too.......those are not turbo pistons. :shock: