My 05 CR250R conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
chachi243

My 05 CR250R conversion

Post by chachi243 »

Well 3 days into it (not full days damn business calls) it is almost done, needs my boingers, controls, fuel, and my supermoto clutch... when i originally did my first 02 CR250R, i had hogged out the Y and ran batwing gussets..but i still had to thin out and box in the leg of the frame right by the waterpump so this time i just built the whole thing out of 1/8th inch flat sheet and welded it all up..no slugs, or bungs for front bolts, just gussets or patches to strenghthen the weld seams and tons of room for clearances. This 05 2 stroke should be wayyyy more fun to ride than my 02 450 chassis. I dont think i will ever use square stock or a donor Y section as it is too easy when you make your own patterns for clearances. plus with all that welding, i get a bit more practice in. just a few pics.... take it easy on me boys.
britincali

Post by britincali »

That looks damn good to me :cool:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Looks damn good to me too
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Man, that looks great! :cool:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

I do have a question though
Why in the first pic is the right above the Y and just below the rad supports straight then in the third pic it is a circle? Is that done for strength?
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

That's bitchen good job hoon!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

sabreguy wrote:I Is that done for strength?
Yea, its commonly called a "Doubler" His circle at the "Y", and the diamonds down on the cradle serve the same purpose... To add strength, while at the same time distributing the load over a greater surface area, and not stopping abruptly in any one single plane.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

AlisoBob wrote:
sabreguy wrote:I Is that done for strength?
Yea, its commonly called a "Doubler" His circle at the "Y", and the diamonds down on the cradle serve the same purpose... To add strength, while at the same time distributing the load over a greater surface area, and not stopping abruptly in any one single plane.
:cool: thanks bobber I thought as much, just never seen a circle used.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
chachi243

thanks fellas

Post by chachi243 »

thats exactly right Bob...... and iv'e been lucky so far , thanks Iggy (he suggested it to me on my first build) and since i rode the wheels off that bike and it never failed me, i never fixed it, .... the design i mean... ive done 4 frames now, but the last 2 with handmade cradles, and i have run it on all 3.....sortof reminded of the old school bmx aluminum frames and forks with the patches and gussets.....the circle is sortof my "signature" , i know, its so original :lol: thanks for the compliments ! Makes me think im not the only one who is addicted to this "fabrication crack".
iggys-amsoil

Re: thanks fellas

Post by iggys-amsoil »

chachi243 wrote:thanks Iggy (he suggested it to me on my first build)
Nice job there chachi :cool:

and Sabre, remember the plates I showed you on my frame..... same thing.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

VERY nice!!! :cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
chachi243

suhweet

Post by chachi243 »

thanks again for the compliments, i just don't get the satisfaction riding my other bikes that I DO get from the 2 coversions i own that i gave the "works".... funny how STOKED riding these bikes makes you feel when you build them from pieces... :headbang:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I've only "ridden" mine in the garage, and get the feeling already..
chachi243

a few final shots

Post by chachi243 »

finished it up saturday at 10 pm, raced it sunday, got 3rd after falling on lap one, ended up winning the STARRS intermediate points title on my 500.... in a sea of thumpers. Gotta love it! Still a few little details (graphics & handguards) to iron out but it rips! :twisted:
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

Congrats on the build...and the win! It really blows me away to see how far the whole conversion community has come. The things some of you are doing from a fabrication standpoint is second to none...including anything that could be done from the factory. Simply awesome work man!
CR500AC widget maker
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

ShanMan wrote: The things some of you are doing from a fabrication standpoint is second to none...including anything that could be done from the factory. Simply awesome work man!
X2
chachi243

Post by chachi243 »

ShanMan wrote:Congrats on the build...and the win! It really blows me away to see how far the whole conversion community has come. The things some of you are doing from a fabrication standpoint is second to none...including anything that could be done from the factory. Simply awesome work man!
YOU STARTED IT! :lol: at least as far as the one of a kind handmade specials go..... thanks MUCH for the compliments.... it is these kind words of my fabrication addiction support group ( all you goons) that gives me the drive to go for it! :cool:
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

That is very cool of you to say, but I have to tell you, I was far from the first to tackle the AF project. Guys like Mike (97AF) and Dredge and even dare I say it, Moredork did it before me. I just added my own twist to it and tried to clean up and document the build and design of the parts so that it looked more professional.

You guys are actually building the stuff the way it should be done, and really are taking to another level...kudos!
CR500AC widget maker
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Shan brought it out of the "dark ages"....

:wink:
chachi243

well

Post by chachi243 »

it is pretty frickin cool. Sharing the experiences of "The Process"
chachi243

uh

Post by chachi243 »

yeah this bike is sweet . I wont ride a CRF conversion again unless its my street bike.....but im a 2 stroker anyway....Aliso bob can't wait to see my new junior speedway bikes im building for 8-12 year olds....the gumball rally is gonna be off the hook!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Check your PM
chachi243

sorry hosers

Post by chachi243 »

not postwhoring, but i am leading the 30+ supermoto points series this year on this scooter and man i love it. I still think the 2 stroke conversions are the best, but the green sticker issues are making the thumpers rideable in more locations.... i was just taking a trip down memory lane.....
atank

Post by atank »

Man I bet that thing screams!
chachi243

yeah

Post by chachi243 »

mild porting and a tick of compression on C12 fuel..... it does! I just could never get the 4 stroke conversions ive ridden and raced to "carve" the way this bike does.....the steering is feather light and it just sticks.....two stroke platforms are magic in the handling department, especially with some less offset triples... i run 20mm clamps and it just turns! one of my first of only a few wins! ive managed well in thepoints with a mess of top 5's and podiums but its the only 5hundee!!!!!!
http://www.vholdr.com/node/767