Anybody ever thought about doing a RM 250 CR500

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Slow old Fart

Anybody ever thought about doing a RM 250 CR500

Post by Slow old Fart »

MPS is coming down to FL for bike week, he say's he is bringing over 40 bikes with him. I want to see all the stuff he is doing when I am there so I will look him up.

He has a 2005 RM 250 chasses listed on Ebay and I can tell you if it is like the 2000 model I did but never put it together it is so easy you would not believe it. All you do is shift the Motor mounts make a head stay and rought the hoses make a few chages to pipe tabes.

I mean a perfect fit on a 2000 RM 250, no tank changes and even with a 3.7 IMS still no problems no touching anywhere.

I like the way the steel RM and Yz's ride. I know that chassis is supposed to handle great. I mean it was easy my guy did it like nothing!

By the way Dag Boyesen who is the son of Evind did one and raced it in Europe in 1998 and said it was pretty good but that was 1998 model.

Who's got the balls to do it, I cannot have anymore junk laying around here and do not use or finish my junk as it is, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT !
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: Anybody ever thought about doing a RM 250 CR500

Post by AlisoBob »

Slow old Fart wrote:I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT !
X2
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

I've been pondering it. a CRM500AF sounds good. :cool:
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

Slow old Fart wrote:MPS is coming down to FL for bike week, he say's he is bringing over 40 bikes with him. I want to see all the stuff he is doing when I am there so I will look him up.

He has a 2005 RM 250 chasses listed on Ebay and I can tell you if it is like the 2000 model I did but never put it together it is so easy you would not believe it. All you do is shift the Motor mounts make a head stay and rought the hoses make a few chages to pipe tabes.

I mean a perfect fit on a 2000 RM 250, no tank changes and even with a 3.7 IMS still no problems no touching anywhere.

I like the way the steel RM and Yz's ride. I know that chassis is supposed to handle great. I mean it was easy my guy did it like nothing!

By the way Dag Boyesen who is the son of Evind did one and raced it in Europe in 1998 and said it was pretty good but that was 1998 model.

Who's got the balls to do it, I cannot have anymore junk laying around here and do not use or finish my junk as it is, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT !
When I had the '03 RM250 I just recently bought (and sold), it looked like it would be rather easy. Plenty of room for the exhuast.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Smoebody bought the 2005 RM 250 chassis on ebay from M.P.S was it anybody here?

I wonder if it is going to become a 500 CR conversion ?
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

I can't believe it sold for that much. I can get a complete bike of that year for a couple hundred more.
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

2weelz wrote:I can't believe it sold for that much. I can get a complete bike of that year for a couple hundred more.
What did it go for?

I had bought the BARELY used '03 (complete bike) for $1500.

www.approvedpainting.net
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

I think it was $1799 for the rolling chassis. That's a lot!
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

2weelz wrote:I think it was $1799 for the rolling chassis. That's a lot!
Yeah, too much. 2-strokes are pretty cheap these days. :D

www.approvedpainting.net
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

Slow old Fart wrote:MPS is coming down to FL for bike week, he say's he is bringing over 40 bikes with him. I want to see all the stuff he is doing when I am there so I will look him up.
Say "Howdy" to George for me. Wish I could get down there to see his setup. He fianlly got his web site up http://www.mps500af.com/
Gix

Post by Gix »

Look here http://www.fastrackimages.com/gallery/d ... 47&pos=145

That is a late 90's rm250 powered by a cr500.
It's a stunning looking bike with ohlins front and rear,nickel frame and loads of nice trick bits.
I've ridden the bike and although it handles really nice the motor was suffering jetting probs
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

a conversion from steel honda frame to steel suzuki frame doesnt get my interest but doing a '08 RMZ 450 conversion sounds cool :lol:
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

100hp honda wrote:a conversion from steel honda frame to steel suzuki frame doesnt get my interest but doing a '08 RMZ 450 conversion sounds cool :lol:
Looks wise, the RMZ is nicer, handling wise, the RMZ can't touch the RM, nothing really does. :wink:

www.approvedpainting.net
97af

Post by 97af »

Slow old Fart wrote: I like the way the steel RM and Yz's ride. I know that chassis is supposed to handle great. I mean it was easy my guy did it like nothing!
Just wondering....If you like the way the steel RM's and YZ's ride,why do you just "suppose" they handle great?

I rode an 05 RM250 yesterday. I wasnt impressed with it enough to say it would be worth using it for a conversion.Good bike but definatley not my or any other Gen III I've ever ridden.
I just love how a magazine article yrs old can praise or shoot down a bike and the riding community takes it as gospel for years to come.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Some people read and some people ride!

I liked the RM's but I really don't believe the work as well as a GEN3.

Billy did you say you sold? Are you bikeless?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

97af wrote:
Slow old Fart wrote: I like the way the steel RM and Yz's ride. I know that chassis is supposed to handle great. I mean it was easy my guy did it like nothing!
Just wondering....If you like the way the steel RM's and YZ's ride,why do you just "suppose" they handle great?

I rode an 05 RM250 yesterday. I wasnt impressed with it enough to say it would be worth using it for a conversion.Good bike but definatley not my or any other Gen III I've ever ridden.
I just love how a magazine article yrs old can praise or shoot down a bike and the riding community takes it as gospel for years to come.
I have ridden the RM's of late
Last edited by Slow old Fart on May 1st, 2008, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

97af wrote:

I have ridden the RM's of late and feel for long term riding the steel single tube is more forgiving. I also like the 98 RM conventional forks on a Honda aluma tube for this reason.

The Honda's are plain stiff for long rides on torn up stuff even though they work better if you are aggressive but how long can you ride aggressive like that before fatigue sets in? I bought the 2005 chasses from MPS but will probably let it sit and rott. My guy who used to build my bikes does not have time to do it anymore so I have a problem.

I bought the stuff to do a CR 125 500 conversion as well.

I have been enjoying my street bikes as of late, something new for me to do.
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

teemtrubble wrote:Some people read and some people ride!

I liked the RM's but I really don't believe the work as well as a GEN3.

Billy did you say you sold? Are you bikeless?

No, have a YZ!

www.approvedpainting.net
zgrant231

Post by zgrant231 »

I love my RM/CR500
teamdns

Post by teamdns »

is that a huge dent in the swing arm?......wtf did you hit if it is.

Post by arvelok »

Is it much lighter compared to the CR500?
zgrant231

Post by zgrant231 »

Is it much lighter compared to the CR500?
Not as light as if feels. You think about turning and it turns. Just feels good. I’ve ridden several older generation 500AFs and prefer the steel RM frame over any of the chasses I've had a cr500 in.

Hears another CR500/RM swap a friend and I did today using the newest generation RM250 chasse.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Looks real sweet! :cool:
--------www.UK2stroke.freeforums.org----------------
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

That is the thing for a PRO MotoX a new aluma tube Honda is superior for racing but the old style chromoly frame has a much more forgiving feel to it for Joe average weekend warrior in my opinion.

I have been out of the loop just sitting around waiting for the Bankers to finish taking the country down..

I don't think this is going to be pretty at all what is coming up for the old USA!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Decided to finally chime in hah....
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!