Gen 1 chain question?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
smokindodge

Gen 1 chain question?

Post by smokindodge »

I am currently running an O ring chain on my Gen 1. I came back from my first ride on it saturday and it looks like it has rubbed a bit on my case. What has been everyones experience with this. Is there a fix for this or should I just pick up a standard chain?
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much"...... John Wayne
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

is the front sprocket on right?
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
smokindodge

Post by smokindodge »

As far as I know. The alignment with the swingarm is perfect. I may have put the swingarm spacers in on the wrong sides. I was just looking at Danny's pics trying to decide if I got them in right. It shouldn't be that close should it? The gap between sprocket and case should be the same whether it's an AF or not.. Maybe I've got the damn sprocket on backwards..
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much"...... John Wayne
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I think the flat side is facing outwards, I have had clearance problemd with the big did chain
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

every o-ring and x-ring chain i have ever seen will rub on the case until it clearances itself. you have 3 options:

1- put standard chain back on

2- let it clearance itself, many dont like this idea but theres plenty of material in that area. just watch if you frequently ride threw mud, the mud can stick to the chain and build up in the case area and conseqeuntly grind away too much material. different manufacturer chains may be thicker than others so thats something to consider also. everyone seems to have a different opinion on this option :?

3- i cant remeber the company but ive seen spacers that go between sprocket and the case
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the O-ring chains are wider than the X-ring and the X-ring chains build less drag and last longer.... go with an x-ring.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

smokindodge wrote:As far as I know. The alignment with the swingarm is perfect. I may have put the swingarm spacers in on the wrong sides. I was just looking at Danny's pics trying to decide if I got them in right. It shouldn't be that close should it? The gap between sprocket and case should be the same whether it's an AF or not.. Maybe I've got the damn sprocket on backwards..
if the sprocket were backwards, it would actually push the chain furter away from the cases.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
450rider

Post by 450rider »

For wide o ring chains you can get a shimm that goes between the sprocket and the cases to prevent rubbing. I got one from sidewinder but most dealers should have them.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

RK 520XSO.. best chain i have ever had and no clearance issues :P
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

450rider wrote:For wide o ring chains you can get a shimm that goes between the sprocket and the cases to prevent rubbing. I got one from sidewinder but most dealers should have them.
got a pic of this spacer? i need one but just putting a washer there would wear againd the seal. i need to space mine out a c-hair or have the rear hub machined down a c-hair. and yes the sprocket is flipped around