Engine Dimensions

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
kezajones

Engine Dimensions

Post by kezajones »

Hi guys,

This is going to sound rather strange to most of you but im looking to put a cr500 engine into my 2004 ktm 125 supermoto, i know people are going to say "why? Just do an AF." but i really like the ktm and its road registered as most are where i live (no joke there must be 200 on the road and this place is about 4 miles square) so it will be a great little sleeper bike,

Anyway to the point im just wondering if someone could give me some basic dimensions like height from the bottom engine mount to the top of the head, width of the rear mount, length from rear mount to exhaust port etc, just so i can get an idea of how it compares to the original cradle.

Thanks

britincali

Post by britincali »

I think thats an awsome idea!!!! Go for it man, just dont do a spike :wink:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
kezajones

Post by kezajones »

britincali wrote:I think thats an awsome idea!!!! Go for it man, just dont do a spike :wink:
Spike with the derbi?, that was pretty inspiring to be fair just the way he managed to do it with so little resources.
britincali

Post by britincali »

kezajones wrote:
britincali wrote:I think thats an awsome idea!!!! Go for it man, just dont do a spike :wink:
Spike with the derbi?, that was pretty inspiring to be fair just the way he managed to do it with so little resources.

Yup thats the one, it was all cool and fun untill he went and broke himself :(
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Caseys500

Post by Caseys500 »

I am pretty sure you will have to cut and reform the frame cradles which that way you could make them as deep as you want for the room you need. Also make sure on the rear motor bushing sizes.

Beautiful Idea! I have been thinking about that myself. Either a Suzuki or a KTM would be awesome with the 500 motor in it.!

Might be a pain getting around the shock with the pipe and silencer though...but anything is possible!
Say hallo to my little friend, Mr. CR 500.
kezajones

Post by kezajones »

the rear mount is 17mm on the ktm so i think thats alright with a 89+ cr5 motor? there appears to be plenty of height in the cradle before it joins to the main square section but i think thats where the problem may lie, the main square section slopes like this \ from the head tube, so if i extend the cradle its going to need to go up much further, if you get me?
CR480R

Post by CR480R »

Caseys500 wrote:Beautiful Idea! I have been thinking about that myself. Either a Suzuki or a KTM would be awesome with the 500 motor in it.!
I saw this one on ebay a couple years ago... it still gives me a hard-on... Someday I have to build one.. I love the RM chassis..
Image[/img]
Current bikes- 1983 CR480
Former bike- 1990 CR500
Caseys500

Post by Caseys500 »

CR480R wrote:
Caseys500 wrote:Beautiful Idea! I have been thinking about that myself. Either a Suzuki or a KTM would be awesome with the 500 motor in it.!
I saw this one on ebay a couple years ago... it still gives me a hard-on... Someday I have to build one.. I love the RM chassis..
Image[/img]
That's beautiful...do you have any other pics of it?
kezajones

Post by kezajones »

right well i suppose the next question is where do i go looking for an engine?
kezajones

Post by kezajones »

right well i suppose the next question is where do i go looking for an engine?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

right now one of my lil cousins '07 250sxf bikes is tore down in the shop, parts in bc, and suspension in quebec, but the suspension guys shop burnt down. no word yet of the parts, because insurance workers and fire officials haven't checked the place yet. I told him it'd be best to sell it to me cheap and with the stock suspension he has as spares. No word yet, but dammn nice handling bike if i can get it.
Caseys500

Post by Caseys500 »

buy a full bike, preferably post 89 since you can use the pipe and not have to buy that as well. Then you can sell all the parts you dont need and it will cost less in the long run than just buying a motor (which may or may not come with the electonics and carb) but usually dont include a pipe.
I bought my 88 bike for $800 but I also needed a newer style pipe when I did my conversion. I was able to sell most of my extra parts off so overall I only spent about $500 for my motor.
With the 88 and older you have to change the rear motor mount swingarm bushings and re-route the water hose.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

the cuz just called me, factory connection says his stuff is junk, burned beyond repair. He also needs a complete trans for the bike, and some bearing spun in hte case. He ordered another new bike, and the suspension work is on hold.
kezajones

Post by kezajones »

i would buy a full bike but i live in a small island between england and france and the expense of getting a whole bike here is unreal, also does anybody want a tuned 125 engine rebuilt about 5 hours ago ;)