my new beast

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
bigjay

my new beast

Post by bigjay »

well, i looked at 3 bikes yesterday.. what a long day. i ran into a nice 86 but the guy couldnt produce a title and right at the end it seemed really shady so i backed out, the second bike was a joke and the third was the one i posted in the craigslist ad on my other post.. alot of driving hours later i came home with what i think is a good bike for a good deal. BIG thanks to Bob for giving me extremely usefull pointers on bike shopping.. im sure i sounded like i knew what i was talking about to these 3 sellers i met yesterday.. hey.. if you cant dazzle them with brilliance or baffle them with BS, dazzle them with someone elses brilliance ( thanks Bob :D ) . its got a few flaws, needs a new clutch perch and brake lever, one of the radiator hoses weeps through a little crack, its got an exaust leak ( needs a gasket?) but other than that the coolant ports are clean, it didnt leak anything over night ( i had it sitting on cardboard so i could tell) and it frickin hauls the mail, this b!tch doesent care that i weigh 340lbs. the guy i got it from bought it from a harly mechanics wife after their divorce.. what a snake.. she didnt want the bike she just wanted to burn him :roll: it came with a sand pro paddle, a pipe guard, a stock set of radiator shrouds a set of shroud stickers and a skid plate . oh ya.. and its got a blinged out swing arm :cool: heres a few pics followed by a few questions you guys might be able to answer for me

1) how do i tell if thats just a sticker or an aftermarket shock out back?

2) why does the pipe come so close to the radiator shroud ( its an FMF gold series fatty)

3) it didnt do it last night but today i cant get it to idle, it runs fine just wont idle

thanks guys !
Jay

I break stuff
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

That is a stock rear shock with aftermarket valving and a aftermarket spring. The pipe is just like that, but maybe a radiator is tweak a bit. And don't worry about the idle could be anything. First thing you need to do is start taking the engine apart. Take the carb and intake reeds off and look inside at the piston, see any cracks? Next drain the oil and inspect the clutch plates and the basket for wear and tear. Now look at the air filter, drain and refill the front fork oil, check brake pads, air pressure, and last but certainly not least, pull the main jet and see what it is. All these things can be done easily when you read about how they are done. There are steps you can take to make these jobs easier than they look or sound. Like the main jet, don't take the entire bowl off, just use a 17mm and remove the bottom nut, then use a small 8mm socket to remove the main jet.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The reason the pipe looks swung up ...is cuz' it is. The isolater is broken...

Looks good otherwise..

P/P offered up some good advise...

Everyone has their own preferences/// allot of guys here go by this..

Ait Filter : UNI filter

Air filter oil : Bel Ray Blue sticky

Premix oil : Maxima '927 @ 40:1

Tranny oil: Rotella 15/40 diesel motor oil ( Kmart for like $8 a GALLON, not a quart like the motorcycle shop) Change it OFTEN! Like every other ride or 8 hours, which ever comes first. Happy tranny's dont break!)

Buy a REAL Honda Service manual ( Ebay for $15, look for the green cover)

Nice going, glad the site could help you out..... the other site would have told you to beat feat...and not come back until you bought something.

I'll never understand that until the day I die...

:roll:
TJC510

Post by TJC510 »

the pipe looks like it is close to the shoud and the kickstarter. it looks as if the front rubber mount it tweaked up. that will push the pipe into the shoud and kicker. be sure to put a mud flap on the air box, you don't want to nick the chrome on the shock shaft. that will tear the seal up and you would have to replace the shaft, $$$. also looks like the rear disc is groved preaty good.

but all in all it looks like a clean '90. how much did you get it for?
btw, did you accidently turn the choke when starting it? ive done that quite a few times.
TJ
2005 cr500af
2008 300XC/w
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

TJC510 wrote:...Be sure to put a mud flap on the air box, you don't want to nick the chrome on the shock shaft. that will tear the seal up and you would have to replace the shaft, $$$.
Good Eye!
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

P+P, thanks for pointers man, i will start the mini tear down thursday night after work since my pismo plans got cancelled ( no baby sitter :evil: :!: ) . ill be searching the tech for how to's on this stuff and im sure ill have a bunch of questions.

TJC510 good catch man, ill get a flap on the box asap, are those things pretty universal or do i need a specific flap for the 500? about the choke.. i started it without the choke this morning.. who knows why the hell it started but i completly spaced on the fact that it has a choke, my ninja was injected without a choke so i guess ive become spoiled ( carbs.. what the hell are those??) man do i feel like a total newb :roll:, it warmed up and still woudlnt idle so who knows, hopefully ill find something when i do the tear down

Bob, you and TJC510 have eagle eyes, should that lower pipe mount just bend back in place or am i going to need to do some welding? i wonder if the pipe sitting like that is partially to blame for the exhaust leak ( i cant hear it but, smoke come up from there)

this is the best 500 site hands down. i skated on the rules with the other site because i technically had a 500 ( in a million pieces) but now that i have one i see no need to frequent that board, its s tight knit group of guys here and i respect the willingness to help me out like has been shown, thanks again guys

Jay
Jay

I break stuff
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The isolater is two pieces of steel , laminated together with a hunk of rubber.

If its toast, its time to replace it.

STAY, CHAMBER
18355-KS6-000 $11.26

pretty cheap...

You KNOW where the love is....

:wink:
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

AlisoBob wrote: You KNOW where the love is....
fo sho man.. fo sho.

ill go check the isolater out in a few, my son is getting his play clothes on and wants to help, heres a pic of my kids on the bike ( son,. Jacob is almost 3 and 58lbs of fearless BEAST, daughter Kaylynn is 6 and will be a dune shredder too), im going to start them out on little quads i think, i learned on a bike but i was older.. i ate ALOT of sh!t and dont want them getting that messed up, slow quds with remote kill switches make daddy happy :)

Jay

I break stuff
ou812

Post by ou812 »

All very good pointer, best to check your intake piston skirt for cracks ASAP and reeds while there. Pull carb apart clean her up good , set float height and report back to use on what your main and pilot jet numbers are along with what the needle number is
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I see the newest banner photo...

90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

Nice looking bike Jay
About the shock, it might not have different valving, I believe the shop would sticker it even if it was only serviced by them.
Brit's queer
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

AlisoBob wrote: I see the newest banner photo...

awsome! hes daddy's little helper, gonna be a rider without a doubt.

TJC510, i forgot to answer your question, i got the bike for $1200
Jay

I break stuff
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

If your going to Pismo find a shock cover. Paddles have a habit of eating mud flaps.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

iggys-amsoil wrote: Paddles have a habit of eating mud flaps.
Yup..
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

a guy in riverbank ( about 2 mins from me) just posted a bunch of stuff off of his 96, looks like hes parting the whole bike out, has some badass asv levers im determined to win also has, tires, plastics, wheels, subframe, swingarm, a few 520 chains.. the works, and i believe i saw a shock cover.. im on it :)
Jay

I break stuff
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

That dude from Riverbank is my buddy, are you looking on ebay? Poolmaster??? He said it was some nice stuff, he just needed the motor and etc for a AF build
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

thats him man, poolmaster.. man, he tore down a clean ass stealy i hope that AF tirns out nice :) . im all over alot of that stuff, i just asked him if pickup would be ok instead of shipping, obviously im way to close for shipping but believe it or not i had some pole smoker in modesto tell me that pickup wasnt an option.. he clearly wanted to make cash off of his rediculous shipping prices.
Jay

I break stuff
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

I'll ask him to be nice
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

that guy in modesto was a one of a kind helmet head, your buddy hasnt replied yet, i dont see why it would be a problem.. i like parts and im sure he likes cash :)
Jay

I break stuff
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

The "poolmaster" don't fuck around :lol:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

damn dude! that is one big 3 year old! my 3 year old is like half his size :shock: Of coarse, my boy is little, will make a great hill climber if he stays lite!! HAHA
nice bike BTW! those FMF fatty pipes are a hot comoditee, they stopped making them and they rev a lot more than the gnarly pipe! take care of that pipe cuz you can't replace it!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

hes a tank.. if he ends up climbing and the bike dies halfway up hell just pick it up and walk it he rest of the way, lol
Jay

I break stuff
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

nice looking group ya got there Dad
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"