Crankcase differences.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
icediver

Crankcase differences.

Post by icediver »

Is there any difference in the crankcase from 85-01? I currently have a 1993 with a perfect tranny, decent clutch basket etc. But the more I look, it looks like my cases may be beyond repair. My right side case, has a crack going from the coutershaft bearing headed towards the top of the case. It also has a crack near the top where the kickstart shaft rides. The rod clearanced itself all the way around the case making it pretty thin between the tranny and put a few cracks in it.

I think I may be able to acquire an 85 bottom end that looks like it has good cases. Can I swap everything else over to the 85 crankcase? Use my jug and my new crankshaft for the 93?

I have searched and read everything I can find here, and on the "other" forum but cant seem to find the answer.

Looks like Bob might have a set of cases for mock up purposes soon.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you would think the whole tranny would work but i honestly dont know for sure. im sure you would need the later year side cover because the clutch is wider. the problem i see you haveing is putting the '93 jug on '85 cases- i HEARD the later cylinders have thicker skirts and wont fit into the case, but maybe it could be machined down, if that is in fact true that the skirt is thicker. one more problem is the 5mm lower deck height, with the long rod, is going to cause a problem. you will need the spacer plate
britincali

Post by britincali »

The newer cylinders have a thicker base where the bottom studs are, you will need longer studs definatly and probably a spacer plate.

Heres a pic of the difference... 87 on the left 91 and up on the right

Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
icediver

Post by icediver »

Ok I'm not really feeling warm an fuzzy about my options so far. I should be able to use the studs from my 93 cases for the cylinder. I have all the covers from my 93 so the clutch cover isn't an issue. I assume I can still get the spacer for the jug also. I hadn't heard about the difference in the skirt thickness on the jugs.

I sent an email to service honda about new cases, I'm scared to hear their response.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

the stud, clutch cover, spacer plate- these are all issues that are very easy to adress. im sure somebody can confirm on the skirt thickness, at worst case im sure it could be machined down, if it is thicker, which i was just GUESSING that it is. and if the WHOLE tranny fits, im unsure on that
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

find the right year... '89+ should work. the tranny gears were widened in '88 so you might have issues there and the cases will have to be machined to accept the jug. Plus the '85 is a short rod motor, so you would have to get a jug spacer from cometic. You could probably make it work, but in the end spend more money and time than buying new cases from SH or even a complete bottom end on ebay.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if your only option was to use older cases, it may work. but theres no doubt getting the newer year cases is the better and correct way to go. no mix match bullshit to deal with. call SH or honda-partsdirect and just order new cases halfs, drop you parts in and your ready to roll. i even think the new cases have bearings already installed, double check but thats what i recall hearing
TJC510

Post by TJC510 »

yea the new cases from honda come with the the bearings installed.
TJ
2005 cr500af
2008 300XC/w
icediver

Post by icediver »

I kind of figured the right cases would be the way to go. I'm leaning towards new, especially if they come with bearings installed, anyone confirm that they come with bearings?

I'm probably going to "try" to save the cases I have when I get a some time. I REALLY don't want to throw another $5-600 dollars at this bottom end, but I may have to.

Maybe I'll just buy a 250 and be done with it.

:lol:
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

I know when Roscoe peeko ordered his cases they came with the bearing installed.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Fletch 2

Post by Fletch 2 »

Im restoring an abused CR500, i almost broke down into tears when i found out it was a '01 model. The bottom end tho is from a '98 model and im having the same issue with my crank case, the right half is shagged. So while the subject is open i am wondering if an '93 right half will fit the '98 bottom end.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yes. '89-'01 case-havles can interchange. good luck man.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Fletch 2

Post by Fletch 2 »

Good stuff, thanks for that.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dannygraves wrote:find the right year... '89+ should work. the tranny gears were widened in '88 so you might have issues there and the cases will have to be machined to accept the jug. Plus the '85 is a short rod motor, so you would have to get a jug spacer from cometic. You could probably make it work, but in the end spend more money and time than buying new cases from SH or even a complete bottom end on ebay.
You mean the width is different after '98 right. The cases from 84-01 will accept the trans gears from any years. There is a difference in the way 2nd gear fits the shaft, in bikes 88+ with the larger diameter shaft and larger bearing 2nd gear is not changeable with older shafts, however with a bearing change a set of older shafts can be used in the new casses, not new shafts in older casses. check out my photobucket for specs if anyone needs them.