new style side cover old style jug

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
dyhi

new style side cover old style jug

Post by dyhi »

I guess the real question is what's the difference other than water inlet location on the jug and inlet outlet locations on the pump? My motor came out of a 87 and the jug has a rear water inlet. But my side cover has the water inlet and outlet of a newer model. It ran ok before I pulled it apart for a total rebuild. Now the bottom end has all new bearings seals and gaskets and the top end is ready for install. I only ran the bike for about ten min ever since I got it and decided to rebuild not really enough time to tell if that combo would have had any overheating issues. Also is there any difference in rod lenght between early and later models?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i didnt know there was a diference in the pumps. at any rate- what you have is better anyways it sounds. the old ones were made with magnesium or something and corroded away. the new ones last 10years and still look brandnew. put it back together and post pictures of some wheelies :cool:
dyhi

Post by dyhi »

I dont think the pump impeller is any different. I think the only difference is the area where the hoses attach. But since I have nothing to compare it to except pictures I cant be positive on that.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I have a '86 motor with a '93 side cover. all you have to do is make the hose work, then you'll be fine. '86 and older had the short rod, everything else should be the same.
if your bottomend is actually an '87 it will take a different c/s sprocket and the trans gears and ratios will be different.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80