STIC metering block

Everything fuel spark and hard part regarding the engine. OEM, Aftermarket and custom.
Okotokian

STIC metering block

Post by Okotokian »

Someone must have tried this by now...
2004 Honda CR500AFC MRE (Current)
2005 KTM 540SX (Current)
2010 Honda CRF100 (Girlfriends ride)
2001 CR500AFC (sold it back builder)
2003 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
1984 Honda CR500 (gone)
1984 Honda XR80 (gone)
1980 Honda 50 (gone)
hurky

Re: STIC metering block

Post by hurky »

As far as I've read and heard it works pretty good (at least on KTM's etc.., didn't hear anything on a CR5 yet..)
I am myself also interested and know more about it, by what I understand it provides the Keihin PWK with some of the benefits of metering rod carbs like the Lectron but I am not sure if this is true or just my perception.

I have a Husky WR300 with a Lectron 38mm carb on it and it made a huge difference from the OEM Mikuni TMX 38 it came with, I liked the crispier throttle response and overall performance, and I also liked a lot the very drastic reduction in fuel consumption as I went from something like 10L/100Km (23.52 mpg) to about 6,5L/100Km (36.19 mpg). Well I Must recogn that the Mikuni was jetted rich but with the Lectron I use a lot less fuel than other bikes in my groups.

So my initial idea was to use also a Lectron on the CR500 (and I will try it for sure) but people say that it tame the CR5 characteristic hit and that is not something I would like to happen... So a PWK +STIC came to mind, I would like to know if I can expect a better fuel mileage as well or does it just give you more performance but using lot's of fuel ?

Also, the price of it is pretty prohibitive :cry:

Cheers !
Okotokian

Post by Okotokian »

Here's a video of a carb equipped with the stic. That fuel mixture is cold.
https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0X_-90fY ... ZMZED3T4sg
2005 KTM 540SX (Current)
1984 Honda CR500 (gone)
1984 Honda XR80 (gone)
1980 Honda 50 (gone)
Okotokian

Post by Okotokian »

The science is kind of like a vortex tube technology however what appear to be venturi's of varying sizes are drilled into the emulsion tube/needle jet at 60 degree? angles. Somehow (George is 76 yrs) is able to exhaust the hot air in the fuel bowl and use it to break down the fuel/air into that vapor. Need a clear fuel bowl to have any idea of what's happening.
It works on my ktm 300 xcw for a year now and has excellent power from idle to full throttle. Great for log hopper trails.
It does not get better fuel economy because I am having more fun twisting the throttle.
I run 52 pilot, Suzuki NECJ needle and 190 main jet. Jetting is standardized and elevation tolerant.
Someone has to try it. The 2 suppliers will send it with jets. I would suggest http://www.hpracedevelopment.com/stic-m ... block.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJuP6i6ed6I
2005 KTM 540SX (Current)
1984 Honda CR500 (gone)
1984 Honda XR80 (gone)
1980 Honda 50 (gone)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I have, Its actually excellent and I bought a second.
The bike I'm running it on at the moment is the KTM chassis conversion that I built for the MXA shootout against the same chassis with KX5 power by Mike Weir of ''KX Guru Racing". So I'm holding off on photos, vids etc until it comes out in the magazine.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I have the TPS model carb, but the standard airstriker body uses the same emulsion tube in the stic as well. It’s a 15-49, I have a 48 pilot and a 190 main.
Okotokian

Post by Okotokian »

Interesting, in the 2015 300 xcw has 36 mm Keihin carb 0.114 emulsion tube has 50 pilot Suzuki NECJ needle and 190 main. Tad rich down low.
I bet with your Pulse Injector it's an unbeatable combination.
2005 KTM 540SX (Current)
1984 Honda CR500 (gone)
1984 Honda XR80 (gone)
1980 Honda 50 (gone)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

not on pulse with this setup, went back to reeds i'm building with V-Force 2 parts. Response time is the pursuit, the pulse needed to be up in rpm to keep it charged if you expected it to respond quickly, like coming to a down tree you needed 20' to prepare to lift the tire with pulse, but with the vf2 you need 2".
What slide in your STIC setup? have the newest emulstion tube mod with all the holes drilled?
Okotokian

Post by Okotokian »

No I sent in 2 STIC to George and waiting for the updates next week (although I'll be in Egypt when they arrive)
Here is Georges latest post from KTMtalk
aSTIC instructions with JD Jetting.

For maximum performance; the new JD Jetting kit for the STIC metering Block is highly recommended. The STIC tuning kit for the STIC Metering block; is available from STIC headquarters (vortex@sticfuel.us); MB*DBB-Performance; Harris performance (Derek); TOKYO Off-Road, and JD Jetting. This STIC kit has been engineered by James, the founder of JD Jetting; take his advice. The kit includes the following: main jets, (180 to 200), pilot jet #50, new longer stronger spring; two needles; Red II-II; leaner top, Blue IIII, richer top) — both have a smaller tapered tip (approx. .055”).

For the last seven years the STIC has been field and dyno-tested all over the world; ranging from sea level to +9,000 fee. Dramatic changes in temperature and elevation do not require any major adjustments. If you have an earlier model STIC; there is a new free STIC Tube upgrade; you must send the entire block and tube to STIC Headquarters. Send the STIC metering block and tube directly to STIC Headquarters for free tube upgrade. If you want everything checked including proper float level; send the entire carburetor with slide to STIC headquarters (no charge).

The STIC will work with jets, ranging from 178 to 220; the preferred setting for maximum performance will be in the 190 to 210 range; this applies to the 125 to 500cc engines. The pilot jet must be at the +50 range with the 50 being the best overall (this is part of the STIC power jet system). The air screw must be in the range of 2 to 4 turns out. New Keihin STIC carburetors from STIC have the new longer (+.100”), stronger piano-steel spring; so, no worry about the air screw working loose. These new springs are available from TOKYO, Harris, and STIC factory. If STIC adjustments are needed; first work with the needle clip position, top clip will make the mixture leaner, the bottom clip will make it richer. Adjust accordingly to your preference. It is my estimation that one must use a needle with the top straight section being at least. +. 106" in diameter; this starts with the JD red II-II, JD Blue IIII, the Yamaha N3EJ at .107.5" and the Suzuki NEDK needle is +. 108."

STIC tuning procedure; be sure to check for a clean air filter, check the reed cage for any petal wear. Check the float needle valve for wear; set the float according to specs (there are several great videos). Do not run the vent lines into the airbox; this will cause the carburetor to run lean. Do not run the fuel bowl overflow vent tube in an upward position; it must be pointed down; if you run the vent lines upward make sure they are pointed down at their ends.

Before making any major jetting changes; first, experiment with moving the needle up and down; the top clip is leaner; the bottom clip is richer. When you feel you have a good needle position selection and having the air screw at the recommended settings; adjust the front air screw in small increments; not going below 2 turns. A larger air screw setting air corrects the larger pilot jet and allows more air to go into the main jet power inlet. Going to a larger slide will also correct a low-end richness. The standard aftermarket Keihin Shorty comes with a 6.5 slide; JD Jetting has the larger #7 and #8 slides.

Even though others may disagree; the engine should be warm before attempting any STIC jetting decisions. Believe it or not; oil and fuel can and do accumulate in the case and transfers and combustion chamber. When installing the STIC metering system; and before making final jetting selections; here is my advice; install a new spark plug and run STIC for at least 30 minutes at various speeds to help clear the case, cylinder, head combustion area and the engine of any raw fuel left from the previous carburetor.

In summary, do not be lured into using a smaller pilot and main jet; the main and pilot are designed to do certain things in harmony, and they are heavily air corrected. Even though the STIC will run with smaller jets, there is a substantial increase in power by using the larger jets. The STIC is heavily emulsified with air and other forces; using the smaller main jet will tempt you into making corrections in the wrong manner. The STIC has a multiplying (increasing) fuel curve, an instant acceleration, and power system. The STIC is an entirely new process and requires learning new things; feel free to contact STIC headquarters for any assistance and upgrades; glad to help and answer any questions. Enjoy.
2005 KTM 540SX (Current)
1984 Honda CR500 (gone)
1984 Honda XR80 (gone)
1980 Honda 50 (gone)
Okotokian

Post by Okotokian »

Adam I'm looking forward to reading Motorcross Action Magazine next month with your CR500.
I heard it has the STIC in it?
Any prelims you can share about the test before magazine is on the shelves?
November MXA correct?
2005 KTM 540SX (Current)
1984 Honda CR500 (gone)
1984 Honda XR80 (gone)
1980 Honda 50 (gone)
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

sand300

Post by sand300 »

I've been I long time STIC user and have set many up in the uk on various 250/300's .

it was a lot of hard work getting them to work as the set up is so different from a normal carb, back then there wasnt the wealth of information on jetting as there is now.

once we grasped the pilot and main jet is a balancing act it all fell into place. going bigger on the main jet to LEAN the mixture was just bizarre but sure enough it worked perfectly.

I run a necj needle 52 pilot 205 main and it's incredible tbh.

looking forward to trying one on the 500 in the next few weeks.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I bound the 52/200 and blue needle on the top clip is killer
sand300

Post by sand300 »

just testing the stic on the 500. could I ask what slide are you using?