1986 Cr500 bogging

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
keaton500

1986 Cr500 bogging

Post by keaton500 »

I bought a 1986 cr500 on craigslist a few months ago and I had it running pretty good for a couple rides but then on my last ride it starting running very lean so I stopped riding it and it wouldn't start again after that. Right after that I got into the carburetor and the main jet was clear but the slow jet was clogged so I cleaned it out and now it starts easy again and it idles perfectly but when I give it more than half throttle it bogs really bad. I have two different carburetors that I tried, one has a #165 main jet and a #65 slow jet and the other has a #172 main and a #58 slow jet but it bogged the same with both carburetors. At first I thought I blew the left side crank seal from how lean it sounded but now i'm not sure. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks
jimmymoto832

Re: 1986 Cr500 bogging

Post by jimmymoto832 »

keaton500 wrote:I bought a 1986 cr500 on craigslist a few months ago and I had it running pretty good for a couple rides but then on my last ride it starting running very lean so I stopped riding it and it wouldn't start again after that. Right after that I got into the carburetor and the main jet was clear but the slow jet was clogged so I cleaned it out and now it starts easy again and it idles perfectly but when I give it more than half throttle it bogs really bad. I have two different carburetors that I tried, one has a #165 main jet and a #65 slow jet and the other has a #172 main and a #58 slow jet but it bogged the same with both carburetors. At first I thought I blew the left side crank seal from how lean it sounded but now i'm not sure. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks
I had the same problem with my 86. I went through so many jetting combo's and a lot of grief. Turn out it was a blue wire from the CDI to the coil had come free. Once I replug it, it would rev past half throttle again.