paint??????

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
riverman

paint??????

Post by riverman »

I'm building a new engine. I need the paint color used on the later model 500's. Cases and cylinder and cylinder head have all been soda blasted. Should I paint the cylinder and head? The soda blasting made everything look new.
Thanks
hollycow

Post by hollycow »

Eastwood extreme chassis black is a close match. The raw aluminum will oxidize and get darker and stain after a while. It depends on how acidic the dirt you ride in is, and if you ride down the beach foget about it, it will trash anything not painted or anodized. The cylinder more so then the case since the casting is more porous.
hollycow

Post by hollycow »

If you don't want to paint it. Go over it lightly with green FINE scotchbrite and 50/50 water and simple green. Then 0000 steelwood dipped in Blue Majic or Mothers aluminum wheel polish. Clean the polish off with simple green. Dry completely with compressed air, careful not to spin up any bearings. That will give you a semi polished surface that dirt won't easily stick to. Then you can seal it with something like Alcoa aluminum wheel sealer, Sharkhide, or if you want to get fancy ceramic clear coat.
riverman

Post by riverman »

I'm looking for the silver color. I did some googling looks like Yamaha used the same silver.
hollycow

Post by hollycow »

Got ya, you probably know, but only the clutch covers were painted on the new ones. Silvadillo Silver is the color in powder coat.